Could not complete your request because something prevented the text engine from being initialized

L
Posted By
lucas131
Apr 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When i try to add text in ps cs2 i get an error:
Could not complete your request because something prevented the text engine from being initialized

Also shortcuts dont work. It happened suddenly cause it wasnt after any installation or sth.

I tried to reinstall but still have same error. Plz for help. I tried also this file < http://rapidshare.com/files/23708704/fix_cs2_cs3_text_engine _error.exe.html> and it didnt fix me it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Bernie
Apr 8, 2007
Try resetting the preferences,

see the FAQ for how.
M
MasterBlaster
May 6, 2007
< http://rapidshare.com/files/23708704/fix_cs2_cs3_text_engine _error.exe.html>

Unpack it to the following dirs:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_SYSTEM_USER_NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_SYSTEM_USER_NAME\Application Data\Adobe

and again:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe
DM
dave_milbut
May 6, 2007
what’s that and why should he download and install something not from adobe to make his app do what it should do without fixing?
RN
Rodrigo_Novais
May 20, 2007
Just uninstall all fonts Photoshop installed. It worked for me.
P
pr8zhymn
May 24, 2007
I too encountered this problem… but to my surprise no answers till now. The problem lies with the computer that we are using see the new and improved cs3 needs about 1.83 gigs of ram if our computer is not meeting this requirment the program will still run but we will encounter issues like this one about text or brushes, filters, etc etc. The solution is to upgrade the system to at least 2 gigs of ram.
Hope this as sme help to you let me know

Dave
JC
Jack_Cai
Jun 13, 2007
I don’t think so. I’ve got 1G mem but encountered the problem as well. After I use the file given by MasterBlaster. It didn’t work at the beginning and It made the AE and PR not work either. I reinstall the AE and PR with adobe common files. AE and PR recovered and PS text engine works. I think it’s a bug but there is no more good solution until now.
I
Im
Jun 26, 2007
Certain fonts can cause the whole CS3 suite to crash upon load.

I particularly found a font called matriculaespañola (MESPREG.TTF) which caused all cs3 programs to crash before loading.

Guess you have to be careful which fonts you install. Try not to install too many fonts at once, and test Photoshop for loading and for the text engine after every installment of fonts to make sure they are all compatible.

I thought I had some virus and had to reformat my computer before I realized this was what was happening.

Best luck to you all.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 4, 2007
Try not to install too many fonts at once, and test Photoshop for loading and for the text engine after every installment of fonts to make sure they are all compatible.

wise words! obviously someone else who’s learned that from experience.
MR
Matt_Rupp
Jul 25, 2007
First remove all of the fonts that were installed by Photoshop. These fonts will all bare the date that you installed PS. You can do this by simple dragging them out of your fonts folder (Windows) into another folder. Then (I did all of this w/o restarting PS) place some text in an image – everything should work fine. Next, copy all of the fonts back into the fonts directory. Select the text that you place previously and then click in the drop-down box that allows you to select the font. Keep pressing your down arrow until you receive the error message again. When you get the error message you have discovered the problem font. Remove it from your fonts directory and you will be good to go.
A
appi
Oct 13, 2007
i tried Matt Rupp’s method, but it didn’t work for me. check every font, from start to bottom, none of it is working. How weird? Another thing is that i open the PS without doing anying, after a while the PF usage ran up to 2 GB, the whole computer is lacking.
could some one pls help? It’s urgent..thx !
RM
Renato_Martins
Oct 19, 2007
I’ve been in C:\Windows\Fonts , displayed the fonts by modified, in a list type, then I removed the last ones, worked for me.
H
hyacinthus
Nov 3, 2007
I’ve just installed Photoshop CS3 and encountered similar problem when trying to add text to pictures.

A step by step method is included to share with you how I overcome the problem.

< http://hyacinthus.wordpress.com/2007/11/03/photoshop-cs3-up- and-running/>

Hope it helps you too! 🙂
MA
Mary_a_Sullivan
Jan 31, 2008
I just wanted to add that my computer didn’t have the Install new fonts folder, and it didn’t have any new fonts installed today (the day I have had to reinstall the programs), so I created a new folder on my desktop and moved all the fonts from the windows/fonts folder to that folder. For some reason about ten of them stayed. Then I tested Photoshop and it was fixed. So then I moved them back again and the problem seems to be fixed. Very strange.

But thanks for the help everyone.

Mary
RL
Richard_Lai
Apr 14, 2008
To Randolph Hernandez:

The Windows directory should be:

C:\Documents and Settings\*user name*\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe
S
sweet554
Apr 18, 2008
excuse my language reading above all folks.. was kind of drunk…as i m calling myself drunk did the following to fix this error.. note tht i hve like 2000 fonts ..how the hell am i supposed to find out
which F****N font is causing this issue?????..excuse my lang.

steps :
find the font folder under windows folder
select all font
right clik n open
all font will pop and will jam ur system
while its opening and ur system will stop responding
press the power button n turn off pc
restart it and itz work fine..
wtf…never seen issue like tht could be solved by knockin down the system tht was fun mannnn
hey guys i should get back to my drink
have fun…hope this slove ur isuueee
if not get some budlight
hehehehehehe…
peaceout..
it workd for me ..it might not work for you
so wtf give it try
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 18, 2008
how the hell am i supposed to find out which F****N font is causing this issue?????..excuse my lang.

select 1/2 your fonts.
move em out of the fonts folder.
try photoshop.

if it fails, the bad one is in the 1/2 that stayed. if it worked the bad one is in the 1/2 that you moved.

keep halving the fonts until you get the bad one.
RL
Richard_Lai
Apr 18, 2008
What I discovered was that if you first disable the font preview in Preferences -> Type, then re-enable it and then open up the font menu, you should see the preview loading from top to bottom.

Keep chasing the latest preview and then it should freeze at the trouble-maker. Hopefully the actual font file in the Font folder will have a similar name to the one in the menu, and you just need to move it to the desktop, then reload Photoshop to see if the font preview loads fine.
S
sweet554
Apr 19, 2008
font is loading but photoshop CS3 EX is crushing
man this is irritating…..
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 19, 2008
reset the preferences sweet? are you sure it’s a font?
M
misiek172
Apr 29, 2008
I have this same problem with fonts, i try all fixex what you say, but all of them, dont work…

but, photoshop in Poland language works fine, in english not work writing…

in the past, i too have this problem, then this:

< http://rapidshare.com/files/23708704/fix_cs2_cs3_text_engine _error.exe.html>

fix him, but today link is crasch

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections