Posted By
justin_laird
Apr 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I have a problem with Photoshop 7 where the image inside the workspace flickers/flashes seemingly at random. I ran across this post: Eugene Stevenson, "Image "flickers/refreshes spontaniousley." #1, 2 Apr 2007 2:23 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0> but there were no real solutions provided (at least that would work for my situation). This only occurs when I’m using a dual monitor setup. I’m running Photoshop 7 on a dual-core Intel 1.66GHz processor laptop with a gig of ram and an Intel 945GM video card. Without an extra monitor plugged in, PS runs fine but if there are two monitors then the image in PS begins to flicker/flash. This only happens when PS is active (when i’m doing something in PS) and it doesn’t matter which monitor its being displayed on. Also, this flickering only happens to the document and not the workspace.
I’ve tried everything i can think of: adjusting resolutions, refresh rate, update bios and drivers (for the video card), tried a different monitor and ran a diagnostic test… Everything checks out ok but i still have the problem. Also, this only happens with Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, ImageReady seems fine and every other program is fine… Maybe it has something to do with how Adobe writes to offscreen windows??

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Justin

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LenHewitt
Apr 7, 2007
As a diagnostic, have you tried turning down hardware acceleration to zero?

If that helps with the problem it is definitely a video driver problem.
JL
justin_laird
Apr 7, 2007
Yes – that’s a good point that I forgot to mention . I have turned hardware acceleration down to "None" (as well as different levels between Full and None) but the problem is still there…

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Justin
M
Mark01
Apr 12, 2007
Are you using a microsoft mouse with a magnifying feature if so this may be causing the conflict,I had this same problem with the image flickering in Photoshop 6.I also have a microsoft laser mouse 6000 when the Intellipoint software for the laser mouse 6000 is running it causes the flicker because of some type of glitch with the software magnifying feature.The solution for me was to turn off the (Intellipoint) ipoint.exe program in my Windows XP task manager.So far the flicker problem seems to be cured.I ran across this post with more information < http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/defaul t.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware&tid=05cbaf 24-ab74-4c23-bd78-bab6e099aafd&p=1>

Mark
JL
justin_laird
Apr 13, 2007
That was the problem – thanks. Hopefully, Microsoft comes up with a patch soon that works! I don’t use the magnifying feature anyway, so this fix is very convienent.
Thank you very much.
Justin
M
Mark01
Apr 13, 2007
Glad it worked out for you.I just downloaded the latest Microsoft Intellipoint software and it still has the problem,although there is a note in the read me files for the program that states The Magnifier may not display some graphics programs correctly.

Mark

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections