RH
Posted By
robert_held
Jun 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A WELL TRAVELED FRIEND HAS E-MAILED ME THE CONTENTS OF HIS PS ALBUM PICTURES. I LOOKED THEM ON SCREEN AND NOW I WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT HOW CAN I TRANSFER THESE INTO MY ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 2.0 FILE*** ??? I DO NOT HAVE PS ALBUM PROGRAM, THESE PICTURES SIT ON THE E-MAIL STORAGE ON MY COMPUTER.

(***FROM WHICH I WOULD PRINT A CONTACT SHEET WITH THUMBNAILS TO ME SNAIL MAILED TO MY FRIEND TO ANNOTATE LONG HAND.)

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL ADVICE

ROBERT PETER HELD

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 30, 2004
Robert,

First, please, please… No more all capitals letters notes… It’s considered yelling (I’m sure you didn’t yell, but just in case…)

Do you know the format of the file your friend sent you? Is this a multi page PDF ? Post back the name, complete with extension, of the file he sent you. From there we’ll be able to help you better.

Ray
RH
robert_held
Jul 3, 2004
Ray hello,

I just stumbled on your response, did not realize that I could search the list by date… sorry, my mistake, thanks!

I wrote capitals because my eyes aren’t what they once used to be and capitals seemed larger – sorry for the impression of shouting.
(Is there a way to set the type size in these message boards? Answers come in great sizes, easiest to read.

The pictures are all:

img_0123.jpg

The numbers (which I improvised here to sub for the 4 digits in each picture) I presume are the serial number of each .

They now all sit in my "Folders on my computer" awaiting advice how to transfer them into the PSE2 realm, for future contact sheet.
Thanks Robert Held
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 4, 2004
Robert,

Since your pictures are all in the same folder ("Folders on my computer"), simply use the File / Print Layouts / Contact Sheet.

Follow the on-screen instructions 🙂

Ray
RH
robert_held
Jul 4, 2004
Ray, good morning & Joyous July 4th.

Thanks for the response, which arrived as e-mail, thus I saw it first thing.

The picture material is indeed in its own folder, so I tried the advice, but there is only the standard ‘print’ possibility, accessible via the File menu, no ‘print layouts’.

I tried to see if ‘save’ could direct the contents into PSE2, but the only possibility was ‘save as e-mail’

Is there a way to direct this entire folder, all with the .jpg extension already, into the Adobe PSE2? Because only in Adobe I saw the "Print layouts>Contact print" sequence.

My problem, as you might have guessed before is also lack of experience and every new turn on the road(i.e. this time the transfer of e-mail-delivered pictures into Adobe) brings me to a halt.

Yours robert H.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 4, 2004
Robert, I’m coming into this late, so excuse me if I’m misunderstanding something about this thread. I’m also confused. In your first post you said these images were in your e-mail program, but a more recent post says they’re in "Folders in my computer." Where are they? They have to be out of e-mail and in permanent storage on the hard drive of your computer before you can work with them. Is that where they are? PS Elements does not have the capability of storing any images, which is why Album was developed. This isn’t a problem; it’s just a clarification, since you’ve mentioned "transfer into Adobe." It seems that part of the problem here is being caused because Ray is making an assumption these pictures are stored on your hard drive, but when I read the post I’m not so sure. 🙂
RH
robert_held
Jul 4, 2004
Dear Beth,

Thanks for also coming to the rescue.

The sequence to date has been: This 5000kb plus 50 picture batch, which came in as e-mail, was hogging too much % on my ‘Folders on Msn" so I transferred it to "folders on my computer" which I know how to access o n l y when I go on line. (I suspect one could do so without going on line…it so far it eluded me)

My hope is to transfer this folder into PSE2, and then proceed with the contact sheet printing.

This is in a nutshell where I have stalled. Thanks Robert H.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 4, 2004
Ah ha! I knew there was a trick to this! You’re not going to like my answer, though. 🙂 Before you can accomplish what you want, you have to figure out where on your hard drive this folder of pictures is located. Have you looked through the various folders in My Pictures? Other places on your computer? I don’t "do" Windows very well (I’m a Mac user), and I’ve never used MSN, so I don’t know what is does with those attachments it downloaded for you. Maybe someone else will review this thread and be able to help out. Printing a contact sheet is dependent on being able to find that folder in the file structure of your hard drive when "Source Folder" > "Browse" is selected from the Contact Sheet option screen, and it’s not geared to going online in that process. That’s where this is hanging up.

You might want to consider starting a new topic with something like "Help with MSN download" as the title. I don’t know of anybody in particular that uses MSN, but it would be worth a try if you can’t figure it out. I’d suggest taking a close look at the contents of various sections of your computer first. What operating system do you use?
RH
robert_held
Jul 4, 2004
Dear Beth,

Thanks for the advice, these are the building blocks that shall convert my rickety knowledge structure to a solid building, block by block.

I shall go back now to the Source Folder> Browse and see how far I can go, but the idea of rephrasing the search subject will help as well.

Yours Robert H.
RH
robert_held
Jul 4, 2004
As follow up: I reached the Browse in the Contact Print page, but could not locate this folder. I posted the question to MSN Technical Support, whose response by and large is fine.
I will also venture into their knowledge based pages as well. I shall report the results! Thanks for the ‘stick-with-it’ persistence Robert H.
O
OldnSenile
Jul 5, 2004
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 08:30:33 -0700, wrote:

As follow up: I reached the Browse in the Contact Print page, but could not locate this folder. I posted the question to MSN Technical Support, whose response by and large is fine.
I will also venture into their knowledge based pages as well. I shall report the results! Thanks for the ‘stick-with-it’ persistence Robert H.

Robert,

The following suggestions are based on my Windows "ME" operating system, but I think that other Windows systems have similar functions.

Since you know the filenames (of the form: img_0123.jpg), you should be able to select one specific name, and (assuming that you have a windows machine) click on "Start" / "Search" (or "Find") / "For Files
or Folders" / type-in your specific image filename, and click "Search Now". This should produce a list of one or more files with that name, and should show the full path inluding the folder which contains that file. This path is what you need for the "Browse" function. Or, you should be able to "right-click" on that filename in the "Search Results" and "Left-Click" on "Open Containing Folder" if you want to work directly in that folder.

OldnSenile
RH
robert_held
Jul 5, 2004
Dear "O&S" Thanks for the help received today. I shall try it. Last night – before your message arrived – tried to save the pictures one by one onto a diskette. They all registered but without
the .jpg or any other extension. When I tried to check if they are indeed in the diskette, opened one through PSE2 ,there was only a white. long rectangel on a gray background. Not encouraging.

I shall report back on the new trial based on the advice.

Yours

Robert H.
RH
robert_held
Jul 5, 2004
Hello there,
I tried the advice – but all search modes (about half dozen) yielded zero, despite the accurate file names (img_0###.jpg)in search of the path***.

I, then, resorted to the ‘footpath’ namely saved those I wanted into ‘My Pictures", one by one. Then I collected them into a folder
and made the long awaited contact print. It indeed displayed the whole file path – this is the lesson I did learn, thank to your highlighting the approach. Thanks for your taking the time and effort to help. Robert Held

* ** MSN Tech. Supp. notes that access to this storage on one’s own computer is not that simple, offering circuituous approaches… I enjoy the comraderie of Adobe User forum far more!
O
OldnSenile
Jul 6, 2004
Robert,

Glad to see that you worked through it, and found a solution.

I did a quick web search, but could not find whether the MSN "Folders On My Computer" folder is actually located at the MSN web site, or on your computer (possibly as a "hidden" file or a compressed file). They don’t provide much info for non-users (nor for users?).

OldnSenile
RH
robert_held
Jul 6, 2004
"OnS" hello,

You are correct , MSN has many things about which it is hard to get information. When one talks to them, they are OK, better than AOL, (Earthlink is real garbage) but in writing they are a bit ponderous. Annoying also is their washing their hands in matters of MS – even though they are the same. But on balance They are better than the compeition, that is why I stay with them. Thanks again robert H.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 6, 2004
Robert, what I don’t understand is how MSN got involved in your e-mail. Do you use it for that, too, in place of Outlook Express? I know you could use a standard e-mail client while getting your online access through MSN. Maybe that would make dealing with attachments less cumbersome. A program like OE keeps everything contained on your own computer system without "help" from MSN that appears to be kind of complicated when it comes time to save attachments.

Interesting that you’ve had such poor dealings with Earthlink. I had them for several years before we went to DSL, and they were always a joy to work with. I kinda miss ’em; although I’ve also been happy with Speakeasy.

I’m glad you’ve got the pictures saved where you can find them. Let us know when you want to start playing with them!
RH
robert_held
Jul 6, 2004
Dear Beth, thanks for your ongoing interest – the difference between your and my knowledge and experience must be immense: You are like the seasoned captain of QE2, I am nervously rowing a frail kayak, always in the danger of getting cut in half by a rock! So once I get something going, I ‘stick to the shoreline’ by and large, only later I venture out to more ‘open waters’. (I am not a boat person, but the analogies were tempting.)

A good example is OE, you mentioned. In an earlier Windows version, any use of ‘contact us’ immedietely opened up a ready e-mail form already addressed. I used it, but was puzzled why certain recipients never responded. I ventured into the OE page and saw these letters sitting there, unsent, for weeks!!! So after that I only copied the ‘contact us’ party’s address and made up my own e-mail form. XP has dispensed with it, so it ceased to be a problem.
If you advise to use OE, I’ll be glad to try it.

Last but not least: Earthlink. They ignored calls for Tech Support, they have that ‘instant messenger’ style contact with their support staff where i had to race to type; none to helpful or understanding, I was glad to start a new computer in 2002 with MSN. It has no ‘involuntary disconnects’ that used to plague AOL before Earthlink, and its staff is intelligent, though still obey the ubiquitous ‘bell curve’ of the intelligence distibution.
Thanks again, all the best. Robert H.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 6, 2004
Sorry, Robert, I didn’t mean to be critical! As a matter of fact, I don’t use OE myself, but most Windows users do. I was just thinking that one of the "standard" e-mail programs might make receiving attachments less complicated, but I can also understand prior bad experiences and the decision to stick with what works for you! 🙂
JH
Jim_Hess
Jul 6, 2004
I think Robert is a subscriber to MSN as I am. MSN is my ISP, and as such Microsoft has distributed their MSN 9 software to me. This is an alternative to using Internet Explorer, and has a number of added features which includes e-mail service and access to MSN Photos. The e-mail service seems to be quite intuitive. I use it primarily for my personal e-mail, and I use Outlook Express to receive my e-mail here at work. From my experience, MSN Photos is only accessible via the MSN software, at least for posting and maintenance. It provides the capability to upload images to their server, and then you can invite others to view those photos. I have used this capability to post images that I have directed you to look at on this forum from time to time. Although I haven’t fully researched this, my recollection tells me that it would be necessary for you to download each of the photos to your local hard drive, where you can designate what folder to put them in. Then, you can navigate to that folder using the controls within Photoshop Elements, and then you will have access to them for editing purposes.
RH
robert_held
Jul 6, 2004
Beth, on the contrary: be critical because thta is how one learns, i enjoy criticism precisely for that reason. Were it not for your mentioning, I forgot about OE and its possible uses. You helped me a great deal in February when i had pleanty of questions re Pe2 itself!!!
RH
robert_held
Jul 6, 2004
Jim hello,

I wrote away to MSN for the advertised 9 version (I am leary of downloads, prefer the CD, a silly superstition perhaps) Do you find meaningful difference between 9 and earlier versions? (I have 8.5)
This 8.5 is OK, did well with the delivery of this (travelogue) photos, after all saving them one by one was not the end of the world. My first computer (1993) was a DOS based one, 8MB RAM and 212MB hard drive and 33mh processor and I did big CAD work on it – in fact kept it for CAD by getting a KVM switch, so ‘speed’ in and of itself is not my main ‘idol’.
I am looking forward to the arrival of the MSN 9.0 CD, let’s see what goodies hide in it. Robert Held
JH
Jim_Hess
Jul 6, 2004
Robert,

MSN 9 seems to be fairly stable. I have a nephew who used to be a Microsoft telephone support person, and he told me that I should remove my old MSN 8. But he told me that the new version seems to be quite improved. I have been using it now for several months, and haven’t encountered any problems with it. The online photo service seems to work fairly well. I think you will find it to be a good upgrade.

Jim
RH
robert_held
Jul 6, 2004
Jim, my photo ‘traffic’ is limited, this California childhood friend is a big traveler and very talented amateur photographer and it is his photos, hitherto in print only, started to show up in e-mails.
Since many locatiosn were not known to me, wanted to tranfer all into Adobe PE@ and make contact prints to send back and find out where were they taken. The inability to lift the whole batch started the problem of "how?’, but all ended well with a little extra elbow grease. Robert
JH
Jim_Hess
Jul 6, 2004
Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone used the same methodology for sending pictures via e-mail! It seems that many people have their own little idiosyncrasies in using their software that change things just enough that it makes it difficult to comfortably and freely exchange images. I’m glad you were able to resolve the problem.
RH
robert_held
Jul 7, 2004
Believe it or not, at my level I do not even recognise ‘idisyncrasies’as such ,everything seems as the ‘official’ or the ‘only way’ version. It takes time and experience to differentiate that a certain transmission is different. Sounds silly, but it is so for me. The only ‘in depth’ exposure I have gotten was in that Generic Cadd program *DOS), all other systems and programs I got acquainted with were ‘icing on the cake’. Enjoying graphics and images I ventured into the Adobe PE2.0 and I am extremely happy about the cadre of dedicated, altruistic helpers such as you and few others who toss that ‘life saver’ into the water when they hear the cry ‘help!’… sounds melodramatic, but nevertheless true. Thanks again Robert H.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections