GA
Posted By
Gary_A_Davis
Jun 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Each day when I start Photoshop Elements 2 (first time of day only) the program goes to the Internet to get updates. But I always get the error message that says "Problem connecting to Adobe Online… check network settings in control panel" I am able to access everything OK on the intenet, including going to this forum through "Help" in PE2. Any suggestions on fixing this?
Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BG
Byron Gale
Jun 29, 2004
Gary,

Welcome to the club!!!

This is a chronic complaint, for which the solution is to go into Edit > Preferences > Adobe Online… and set the "Check for updates" box to "Never".

I know, it doesn’t seem quite right, but there simply are no updates for Elements, and the software and server don’t get along well.

So turn it off and forget about it.

Byron
M
MarcieLatham
Jun 30, 2004
This is a really irritating feature, I spent hours trying to make this work and looking around the Adobe Web site to find the upgrades or a reason that the upgrade option on the menu wouldn’t work. It is great that the tool is so stable Adobe doesn’t think it will ever need a patch. But the least they could do was post this on the web site.
D
davidcontreras
Jul 2, 2004
To All,
I thought I was alone. I was having the same problem. At first I would click OK when the error message came up and PE2 would launch. Then one day I was locked out, clicking Ok didn’t work. I clicked Never in the Prefs and things are ok now. But getting to the point where I was able to click Never was a long road for me; a story for another day
BD
Bill_DeSmith
Jul 4, 2004
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0: I can not link to the Adobe Elements on-line HELP. I get an "Internet Explorer was unable to link to the web page you requested…" error.

The link URL generated by the Elements software is:
http//%1%20"file:/C/PROGRA%7E1/Adobe/PHOTOS%7E1/Help/Help.html "

I’m running XP with Sevice package 1. The browser is SBC-Yahoo. The provider is SBC DSL.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill
BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 4, 2004
Yes, it’s that Yahoo browser. Some ISPs have custom browsers designed for them that are not compatible with Elements Help files. Yahoo is one, and it’s also true of AOL and CompuServe.

Go into your Control Panel>Network & Internet Connections>Internet Options>Programs. You should see a line that has a box where a checkmark can be placed by the statement "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser." You need to have this set. It won’t effect your online functions at all, and it will allow you to view the Help files. Any of the "plain vanilla" browsers will work, but the custom ones won’t.
BG
Barbara_Gordon
Jul 7, 2004
Beth – (or anyone) –

I have the same system as Bill (SBC DSL, XP, Service Pack 1) – I just got Elements and loaded it, but it won’t connect to the internet. It goes to Yahoo and stops there. I followed your instructions, but it still won’t connect. Please help if you can. Adobe wants $39.00 for help connecting this $49.00 program. Arghh!

Thanks,
Barbara
BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 8, 2004
Barbara, you don’t want to connect to the internet in order to access the Help files; Elements just uses the browser to display files that are contained on the hard drive. However, if it’s still going to Yahoo, that means you didn’t successfully get the default browser changed in Windows. My suggestion is to follow the path again, UNCHECK the box and click OK. Then go in again and put the checkmark back in. Sometimes Windows can be very stubborn about locking in changes. Strange as it sounds, this isn’t really an Elements problem, it’s a Windows issue with changing the default browser. And there’s no way to know what kind of havoc the Yahoo software might have caused. Some people who use Windows XP never can get this working right. In that case, you can make a workaround by opening Internet Explorer and then using it to navigate to the Elements Help files. Once you have a page open, create a desktop shortcut and access Help from there.
BG
Barbara_Gordon
Jul 8, 2004
Hi, Beth!

Last night I did what you instructed, and it didn’t work (uncheck, recheck). BUT JUST NOW a window came up saying "Internet Explorer is not your default browser. Would you like…" it to be, or whatever the verbiage was. I clicked "yes," and now it works!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

Barbara Gordon
BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 8, 2004
Ah, Windows must have been napping. I’m glad you’ve got it working.
TX
tom_xxx
Jul 9, 2004
I try to register at Adobe so I can download Plugins. I fill out all asterisk items but it keeps kicking ap back as not complete. I tried it several times.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections