DL
Posted By
Donald_Landrith
Jun 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been downloading some of the images from the Mars landers. I import them to a specific file that I can easily find in "my documents".
If I open Elements, and try to open one of the files, the folder is empty. However if I now open "my documents" and drill to that folder, it shows all of the files. Now if I begin to type in the name of a file in Elements, a drop-down shows the file which I can now open. Actually, the documents window doe’s not have to be open, it’s just easier to find the file name.
The files are in jpeg. There must be something in the file name that I don’t see.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 26, 2004
Can you see the actual file extension? If not, make it visible so you can see the full name. Open Windows Explorer, click on the Tools menu>Folder Options. On the View tab, down under Advanced Settings, UNcheck the box beside "Hide extensions for known file types." In Windows 98, folder option is in the View menu as I recall.

Report back with your findings and what version of Elements you are using. Maybe someone else will pipe in here with a solution.

Sometimes when you save images from the web in Internet Explorer, they save with a .jpe extension rather than the usual .jpg. My Elements 2 will open them, but I’m not sure about version 1.

Patti
DL
Donald_Landrith
Jun 27, 2004
Hi Patti;

I’m running Adobe Elements 1.0.1 on XP ser.pack 1 with a Celeron 1.2 gig and 512 meg of memory. An example file is "PIA04993.jpeg" (as downloaded)or "Panorama 05-Jan-04.jpeg"(merely renamed). The open prompt cannot see either version. In fact this folder holds 5 jpeg files. I also have text files in this folder, and when I type P into the prompt, I get a drop-down list with the file for the "Panorama" text as well as the two jpeg files. Of course Elements cannot open the text file, but either of the jpeg files can be opened from that list. None of the other files in the folder are shown. When Elements opens the file, it shows "reading Jpeg format" in the bottom bar

I have just tried saving the image once got it into Elements. When saved(without changes) in Jpeg, it becomes a jpg file which can now be seen by Elements. (Panorama Jan.jpg)

As you can see, I can work around this, but it is bulky at best.

Any comments would be apreciated.

Bruce
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 27, 2004
Byron? Chuck?
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jun 27, 2004
try renaming the files to .jpg instead of .jpeg

Mark
DL
Donald_Landrith
Jun 27, 2004
Hi Mark;

Thanks Mark, renaming to jpg works with no aparent ill effects.

I’d like to know if Elements 2 has this problem and/or if there a real fix for it.

Thanks to all.

Bruce (middle name. What can I say?)
MR
mikael_runsten
Jun 27, 2004
Try right click your .jpeg file in an ordinary browser window, than choose – opent with – choose program – point out Elements in the list, and check the box that says "always use this program to open this file type".

Elements will open, and then in elemnts check if you can see your .jpeg files.

Good luck,

/Micke
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 27, 2004
Donald,

I don’t know if it will help but you could try resetting the preferences. Photoshop wouldn’t recognize my .jpg files at one point and this cleared it up. No guarantee this will help in this situation but who knows.
O
OldnSenile
Jun 28, 2004
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:55:59 -0700,
wrote:

I’d like to know if Elements 2 has this problem and/or if there a real fix for it.
Donald,

Files with the extension "jpeg" show up fine in my copy of Elements 2, as do those with "jpe" (as noted by Patti, earlier), in both "Open" and in the PSE2 "File Browser". Can’t say about PSE1.

OldnSenile
DL
Donald_Landrith
Jun 28, 2004
Hi OldnSenile;
That’s kind of what I was looking for. Unfortunatly, I was one of the dummies that actually paid for edition 1. Then they started giving it away after they fixed it. Oh well!

By the way, if we ever meet face to face, we’ll see who best qualifies for your moniker. In the meantime.

Later
Bruce
DL
Donald_Landrith
Jun 28, 2004
Hi Terry;

I don’t see anything in preferences that affect jpeg/jpg. Exactly what did you change?

Bruce
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 28, 2004
I never figured out how I changed the preference setting but managed to remedy the situation using the standard three key fix all of holding in the shift, alt, and control keys while launching the program. (By the way, in my situation I could only open .jpg files from the browser. Open recent or trying to open with the file name would give me an error message that said Photoshop didn’t recognize this file formate…or similar wording.) I just thought it sounded like a similar situation.

Terri
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 28, 2004
Donald,

Along with the excellent advice you’ve received to this point, I would add the following…

On my PSE2 installation under Win98SE, Elements recognizes .jpeg files, along with .jpe and .jpg. I can determine this two ways — I can see .jpeg files via the file browser, and the file open dialog, and if I open the file-type list in the file open dialog and scroll to the JPEG entry, it shows all three extensions.

If PSE1 has the same three extensions listed for JPEG files, then you may be able to re-set the association with Elements by going into the File Association manager a couple of times — the first time, UNcheck JPEG as an associated type, the second time, to put it back in. That might allow Elements to re-set the necessary registry entries.

Luck!!

Byron
MR
mikael_runsten
Jun 30, 2004
There is a "hard" way to change the settings as well, but You should be very careful and know how to use regedit.

In registry:
Open the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, a long list with file extensions will show, browse down to .jpe .jpeg .jpg, open the keys and check the values, if ex .jpg file working the same values should be in the other two keys as well.
Ex: .jpg
Default REG_SZ PhotoshopElements.JPEGFile (reference to another key se below *) Content Type REG_SZ image/jpeg
PercievedType REG_SZ image
PreviousAssociation REG_SZ jpegfile (this could vary)

Just for info (Don’t change anything here.):
If You browse further down HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT You will see (*) PhotoshopElements.JPEGFile, in this key You will see the settings (command) for edit, open and preview the files (.jpg, .jpe, .jpeg).

/Micke

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections