DB
Posted By
Donald_Bullock
Jun 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is frustrating but I have patience. I want to keep a certain area of my photo in focus (i.e. a person) and add an affect to "everything" else (i.e. motion blur). Please help, very frustrating.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DG
David G House
Jun 25, 2004
One way would be to use the "Selection Brush" you’ll find it in the ToolBox to the Left on your screen…. its a brush that looks like it has a dotted line in front of it… use that to select out the part you do not want "Blurred"… with this brush you can select different sizes, styles and feathered edges (see the menu bar when you select the brush).. the nice thing about this brush is that if you select outside of what you wanted by pressing and holding the "ALT" key you can push it back…. once you have that done in the menu bar you will see "Selection" click the drop down and select "Mask"…. you can play with the type of mask… like "Overlay", "Soft Light" etc as well as feathering the edges and the %age of Mask… when satisfied.. go Filter>Blur>(your choice of blur)…….

Here is one I did with the method described…

< http://groups.msn.com/PhotoGraphics/gardenofphotographics.ms nw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=9409>

David
DG
David G House
Jun 25, 2004

P.S.

When you select Mask.. the area you do not want blurred should be a Reddish Colour… (BTW you can change the Colour if you like)…. if by change its the rest of the image that is "Coloured" just go.. SELECT>INVERSE….Reason for this is because what you are doing is "protecting" the area that is "coloured" and manipulating the rest…..

Let us know how ya did…

Good Luck..

David
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 25, 2004
Here’s a little trick I’ve used a time or two:

Duplicate the layer you want to blur. Motion blur the top duplicated layer. Now move this blurred layer under the original you duplicated. (If original is a background layer, just click a couple of times on lock to convert to a regular layer.) All you have to do is erase anything you want blurry from the topmost (unblurred copy.) Caution: This is distructive so make sure you have the original file safe. Do this on a duplicate copy.) By the way, check out radial blur too. You can get some really cool effects using zoom or spin.

Terri.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 25, 2004
Hey … I like that one Terri. When I get back from holiday I will try it out.

Wendy
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 26, 2004
Wendy, have a wonderful holiday!
🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections