Posted By
Raymond Robillard
Jun 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello group,

Some weeks ago, I reported that Microsoft had made available Expression 3.3, a software they bought when they acquired Creature House, free for Macintosh (which, at the time, made me spill my coffee all over my Win laptop…)

Now, Microsoft has made that same software available for both platforms (Win & Mac). You may get a copy here :

http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/

It is still free and it’s a very complete package. Even if you’re not currently interested by this way of expression (vector graphics), I’d suggest you download a copy, just in case you’d change your mind and end up having to pay for that, later.

Then, as I was surfing Creative Mac website, this morning, I discover that David Nagel has posted a series of brushes that are quite beautiful. Instructions and files are available here :

http://www.creativemac.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=26110

The file is in SIT format (Aladin Stuffit at http://www.aladdinsys.com/), but there’s a free utility to decompress it. Otherwise, I could send you the ZIP file, if you need it.

Ray

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 23, 2004
Thank Ray

I feel so stupid in not mention this as I downloaded the PC version a week ago and assumed everyone knew about the freebee. I haven’t really not used it but it does look complete, although you should be aware that the PC version is labelled as a beta.

Grant
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 23, 2004
And the Mac version is, as well, labelled as a Beta.

Ray
B
bethC
Jun 23, 2004
Thanks Ray.
I downloaded it 🙂 – always interested in checking new stuff out.

beth
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 23, 2004
Hey folks,

What would I use it for? … I went over there and read about it but still wasn’t sure.

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 23, 2004
Cooking, dusting, laundry and exercising…

(I meant, that’s all the stuff you won’t be able to do with this application installed..!)

Seriously, it acts and feel like a paint program, but it’s actually a vector edition software. You paint with a brush, like you do in Elements or Photoshop, or Illustrator, only difference is that you can edit your stroke afterwards, something you can’t do with Elements / Photoshop.

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 23, 2004
Thanks Ray … I will download it and give it a try

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 23, 2004
Ray,

What size is the download … it seems to have been downloading for ages now?

Wendy
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 23, 2004
Hi Ray, I did download it about a month ago when I got the info. I did try it, I don’t know much about it, but was able to make a few neat things. Sara gives lessons in it, which look fantastic! When I get a bit better at my lessons with GoLive and Bryce, I will give Expression a whirl. Thank you for posting the info here, as there are many people who will really love it. I am such a beginner with so much on my plate, that I have a wonderful year waiting for me in computerland! If I wasn’t so tired from canoeing all day, I would try another picture with Expression tonight. Dog and husband are already almost asleep and I am soon to follow.
Jane
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 24, 2004
Wendy, think of it as a real fancy "custom shape" designer-editor or watered down version of Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw. I haven’t played with it very much, but I was able to paste simple drawings as Shape layers in Elements. I’m so used to CorelDraw it feels awkward to me, but it looks like a really nice program.

Maybe Ray can tell us more about it??

Patti
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 24, 2004
I’ve barely scratched the surface. It’s not exactly a watered down version of Coreldraw.. It’s a different beast. CD is designed with the goal to make illustratations (like Illustrator, ZonerDraw, FreeHand, Canvas, etc). Expression’s goal is painting. Different market, if you prefer.

Wendy : The download is rather big… 55.7 Mb for Mac… I hope you’re not on a 14.4 or 28.8 Modem.. If so, let me know and it will be my pleasure to send it to you on CD. It’s like.. I have only this to do, for the next 5 weeks now.. 🙂

Ray
P.S. Today marks the 3rd weekly anniversary of my surgery, and me quitting smoking as well. Both are doing fine. Except, if I could bite, my desk would probably be missing a few parts, just like me missing a few shots of nicotine… Haha !

Pictures : http://www.pbase.com/carbone/surgery
Blog : http://homepage.mac.com/carbmac/blog/Ray_Blog.html
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Jun 24, 2004
Does anyone remember (still use) Xara for Windows? That was one of the first and only illustration/paint programs that didn’t drive me completely crazy trying to use it. Alas, the DOLTS at Corel ripped off what technology they wanted then let it die. And I haven’t tried any new version since the last one under Corel’s ownership messed up on my computer.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 24, 2004
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the CD offer but I have been round to a friends and downloaded it there. Not too sure if I will ever use it or not … but was worth collecting 🙂

Gosh is it really three weeks since the surgery … you are doing so well … the latest photographs are looking good 🙂 Can’t tell you how pleased I am that you have stuck to your no smoking … that too will be worth it. I have kept up with reading your blog and sometimes you just make me laugh so much … keep that sense of humour it is brilliant. Take care and keep on taking the baby food 🙂 … won’t be long now.

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 24, 2004
Thanks Wendy 🙂

In fact, tomorrow is the Big Day… If I am lucky…

A) I will win the Super 7 jackpot (it’s a big thing in Canada)
B) Apple will deliver, free of charge, free of cost, a Powerbook G4 along
with Final Cut Express and Adobe Creative Suite Premium (the full version, not the upgrade, of course)
C) My current car will have been transformed into a BMW 325Ci, automatic, and the gaz tank will be full (a fortune these days)
D) I won’t have any of those d… rubber bands in my mouth anymore!

If I am unlucky…
A) A couple of bills will find their way in my mailbox
B) 3 PCs only flyers will be lying at my doorstep
C) My current car will remain what it is, and further, it will not be at my door because my friend will have taken it to get to work since it’s manual and I can’t drive it for the time being, because of my hip…
D) I will have the same number of rubber bands for another week or more, and
this will make do some crazy things like installing GameCube games on my Mac, eventhough they’re totally incompatible…

My life… 😉

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 24, 2004
Yes but just think of all the money you are saving by not smoking …. soon you will be able to BUY all those goodies 🙂

So far not smoking has bought me:

An Edwardian Satinwood Wardrobe
A Canon 300D and kit
Spare Lens and lots of other goodies
Plus I still have enough left over to buy lots more 🙂

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 24, 2004
Speaking of which, my preferred camera store (I was to say photo shop, but then… Oh well..) is reopening tomorrow morning, after having been closed for 4 days because they moved. I just hope they’ll have some kind of opening sale, and especially in the Canon lens department… I’m hoping to get a macro lens (if I can find one at a reasonable price).

If not, a smaller, more portable, digital camera would be nice as well. The 10D is made for those on a protein full diet. Currently, with my hip (and some days my cane), carrying the 10D seems more like a punishment than a joy… And, also, for some more casual event, a smaller camera would be more appropriate. I sometime get the feeling I’m scaring people with my current dSRL… (with its Flash, and reflective cap, and long lens…) 😉

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 24, 2004
Ray,

I still use my small Kodak digital camera … I have the DX4330, it takes great photographs and its a nice size not too small so it still feels like a real camera but small enought to carry everywhere.

Wendy
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 25, 2004
Remember what I told you about my neighbor who needed a new truck. He quit his $300 a month habit ‘up in smoke’, and went out and got his brand new F150 4WD for about the same in monthly payments.
Reward! Yes, but in long term health, this will be a winner, the rewards for not smoking go wayyyyyy beyond money.
Jane
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 25, 2004
Ray, go for the 100 mm Canon macro!

I agree with you on the bulk of the 10D….but the 1Ds is even worse!

Chuck
J
jhjl1
Jun 25, 2004
Ray never let it be said that I was not willing to help out a friend. I will send you a nice light P&S and you can send me that beast of burden you have, along with the lenses and flash of course.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
"Ray" wrote in message
joy… And, also, for some more casual event, a smaller camera would
be
more appropriate. I sometime get the feeling I’m scaring people with
my
current dSRL… (with its Flash, and reflective cap, and long lens…)
😉
Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 25, 2004
Ray never let it be said that I was not willing to help out a friend. I will send you a nice light P&S and you can send me that beast of burden you have, along with the lenses and flash of course.
Of course… A side order of CF memory card with that, sir ? 😉

My ordeal is only temporary… The 10D will return to it’s usual work in a few short weeks.

Else, I could be using my "hfb" (Hateful Film Body) for a while. Though, I don’t remember how to load it… It’s been such a long time now… I also lost the preview screen on my Elan 7… I’m sure there was one.. I just don’t seem to be to find it anymore…

Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 25, 2004
Ray, go for the 100 mm Canon macro!

I agree with you on the bulk of the 10D….but the 1Ds is even worse!
Chuck
Well… I just checked the price of this little baby… Sure thing, I won’t start to smoke until the next 18 weeks… (at 60$ / week)…

Btw, did you buy a 1Ds ????

Ray

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections