Posted By
Bob_A_Taylor
Jun 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am new with PS Elements

Can someone explain the difference between the input and output levels sliders and what they do differently in the adjust brightness/contrast levels command

thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 22, 2004
Bob,

Input levels are used to improve tone and contrast. The black triangle sets the photo’s black point. Most people move this slider to where the graph begins (on that end). The white slider sets the white point. Most people set this to where the graph begins(on that end). The middle gray slider is a gamma slider. It controls neutral colors. It tends to lighten or darken the image because when you move it you either make more shadow or more light depending on if you push the slider toward black (your shadows) or white (your highlights.

Output levels- Are there for your printer. Quote from Katrin Eismann’s book: "If your highlight values are getting blown out to paper white or the shadow information lacks tonal differentiation, you can use the Output levels in the Levels dialog box to reduce the range of the tones and bring the print within the gamut of your printer." She goes on to say that the advantage of using an adjustment layer to bring a print within your printer’s gamut is if you buy or use another printer you can change this adjustment to suit the new printer’s gamut.
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 22, 2004
Bob,

No doubt, you’ve fiddled with the Output Levels controls, already, and seen what they do… constrain the black and white points of your image.

Here’s a description that’s as good as any I’ve found:

http://www.graphicsguy.org/graphicsguy/gg02-03/gg02_03.html

Byron
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 23, 2004
Bob,
I just had a photo that needed considerable help in order to salvage it. I selected the main person from the rest of the picture and applied the levels to that layer, and then applied different levels parameters to the other layer. Try this:
1. Select area with lasso, and feather 5-15 px
2. Create levels adjustment layer #1
3. Press CTRL + right icon in levels adj. layer #1
4. Select original image (i.e. make it active)
5. Go to Select>Inverse
6. Create levels adjustment layer #2
7. Can adjust each layer separately by clicking on left for levels control Ken

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections