Posted By
sincejan63
Feb 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Five reasons why I HATE Photoshop
1. Launching Photoshop is deceptive: I launch Photoshop, it launches the entire interface is white; you would think it’s a video card issue until it eventually clears revealing its interface. Now you assume it’s ready to use: No it’s not, Photoshop lets you wait another 30 seconds (a lifetime) before it allows you to use it. It works in reverse also, if you do not use the program for about an hour (Lunch Break) when you attempt to use it again it goes through the same annoying thing again.
2. The Type Tool: Is there anything more frustrating than this tool, Photoshop usually comes to a complete halt when ever this tool is selected. Now try to create some text, click away, now click on the type you may want to edit: 99% of the time Photoshop creates another type layer. If this does not border on HATRED I don’t know what is.
3. The damn Jpeg options window: is there a bleeping way this can be avoided, I mean this nasty option box makes it almost impossible to use the automated batch features to resave dozens of jpeg files. This is the number one reason that I use third party batch & rename programs instead of Adobe’s. I hate this feature like I hate the dentist.
4. The Tools bar link to Adobe’s website, how many times am I in Photoshop and accidentally hit this button or tab and I am now on the web. Hatred, pure and simple.
5. I learned one thing over the 15 years I have been using Photoshop and that is to save your workspace so that every little panel is where you like it. Adobe does a good job of allowing you to save your workspace but every now and then, Photoshop resets itself to the default workspace which is never practical. Hatred, pure unabashed Hatred.

I count myself as the only person in the graphics world who hates this product; it’s slow, bloated with too many unnecessary features and an un healthy monopoly. I continue to use this monster and have developed a habit of launching Photoshop, having a cup of coffee and pray that it’s up and ready for me to make a living. There needs to be competition otherwise adobe Photoshop would live on its reputation that Adobe has spent the last three versions destroying.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 13, 2007
I think you need to direct your hatred toward a system which is obviously not up to running Photoshop. If you’ve not upgraded your computer during the last three versions it most certainly will not be up to the task.

None of those points you cite are an issue here. PSCS2 flies on my machine. And as for #4 – I can honestly say I’ve never accidentally hit the Adobe Home Page shortcut.

If you care to post your system specs, we may be able to suggest some tweeks to improve performance for you.
I
iSteveV
Feb 13, 2007
32 reasons I laugh when people post in the wrong forum.

reason number one is…

This is really boring.
P
Phosphor
Feb 13, 2007
Use The Gimp!

Feel better fast.

Umm wait-a-minit..erm…
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 13, 2007

1) it’s up in about 10 seconds for me. including bridge.

2) well, there’s this thing attached to your computer, it’s called a "keyboard". you press the "keys" and it makes little symbols on your screen.

3)

is there a bleeping way this can be avoided,

yes.

4) so you have butterfingers. why is that our problem?

5) 3 clicks to get to Window> Workspace> select a predefined workspace. I guess if you’re lazy you can assign a function key to it, but that would require you to actually lift your hand up to press a button on your "keyboard".

There needs to be competition otherwise adobe Photoshop would live on its reputation that Adobe has spent the last three versions destroying.

it’s called "The Gimp <http://www.gimp.org/>"

hth,
dave

🙂
E
Exaspera
Feb 13, 2007
Maybe this person is just having a bad day.
P
Phosphor
Feb 13, 2007
15 years worth of bad days, it sounds like.
C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 13, 2007
sincejan hates Acrobat too.

and…
RB
Robert_Barnett
Feb 13, 2007
#1: This only happens on some machines. Mine did this until I did recent reformat and reinstall (thanks to a virus), not it loads up and is ready to go nearly instantly. Something is up with your system. This has been covered by Adobe before.

#2 If you don’t click near the middle (verticle middle) you will get the effect you describe. This is not a Photoshop problem, but a user problem. Don’t be so quick and careless. Watch the cursor it changes when you are in the right place to click.

#3 Turn off the dialog box for that step in the action you are using for batch processing. You do this in the actions palette while not in button mode.

#4 What can I say they can’t give a button bars for our own use but they are junk up the interface with a totally worthless button.

#5 If you saved your work place it shouldn’t be a problem to reload it even if Photoshop reverts back to defaults.

Robert
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 13, 2007
hey robert! you cheated and looked at my answers! i’m telling the teacher! 🙂
RB
Robert_Barnett
Feb 14, 2007
Well, next time Dave keep you paper covered. I have one wandering eye and I never know what it will see!

Robert
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 14, 2007
and i keep forgetting to turn of my damn web cam! 🙂
DR
Danny_Raphael
Feb 14, 2007

3. The damn Jpeg options window: I mean this nasty option box makes it almost impossible to use the automated batch features to resave dozens of jpeg files. This is the number one reason that I use third party batch & rename programs instead of Adobe’s. I hate this feature like I hate the dentist.

Is there a bleeping way this can be avoided?

Yes.

The last step in the action needs a File > Save as… [.jpg] command. * Do NOT change the File Name
* Save the test file to any folder or Desktop
* Choose applicable .jpg compression setting
* OK to record the command
* STOP recording

In the Batch dialog, Destination section:
* Folder, Choose (browse to destination folder) (x) Override action "save as" commands

This setting, in effect, tells PS to use the recorded .jpg setting, but use the \destination specified in the Batch dialog Overriding the one in the Save as… step. Result: No more pesky .jpg dialog = hands off batch processing. 🙂

HTH…

~Danny~
S
spammers
Feb 14, 2007
wrote in message

<snip>

I’d suggest you start off with:
http://tinyurl.com/d9c6w

Then move on to:
http://tinyurl.com/2j33rz

Paying speical attention to system requirements
AW
Albert_Winston
Feb 14, 2007
I am very new to this forum and am having a problem with Photoshop 7.0 for Windows. After I do whatever corrective work I want on a copy of a photo I want to print, I save it as a JPEG file. The colors look perfect to me on the screen but when I print the photo it is overly pink. I have tried this on both a Canon I9900 and a Canon IP 4000. When I use Canon’s software (very limited in scope) or any other, the print color is just what I see on the screen. Am I missing a driver or patch for Photoshop that will correct the problem?

TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Feb 14, 2007
Albert you you shuld start a dedicated topic for your problem.
S
sincejan63
Feb 14, 2007
Judging from the response her I can see that I am Lamb in the Lion’s cage, that’s okay anyway as over the years I’ve come to realize that most of the issues with Photoshop happens in a work environment and not in the usual recreational area that the software is known for. The issue here my good friends is the entire suite of Adobe applications function against your production goals. For example we are a design firm with a decent size prepress area and make use of the entire Adobe suite. When you close an application it should not Hang Around a minute later, why? Because it slows everything down and our customers are not going to be happy when their local news paper is late. Every single day of my working life with adobe products, I am frustrated and often resort to either a cigarette or profanity. I mean come on, should Illustrator really take 3 minutes to open a 32k eps file that I simply want to trap? Gosh man! our computers are all the latest processor speed and3 Gigs of ram, we lease so the computers are updated with just a phone call to the leasing company. The same with Acrobat, standard process here is to resave the 56 page PDF so we can impose into dynastrip- Acrobat takes it about 2 minutes just to launch and another minute to be usable. Remember all we want to do is resave- this is a task the software slows production and we have a $2500 an hour urbanite press waiting, not to mention the binary department and the truck that comes at 4:45 every morning for the periodical.

Now we try to close Acrobat and it takes its own time, if we are lucky, there is a two minute wait. We are now doing a fashion magazine, only 32 pages, the program is Indesign, the same sluggish slow process happens, it’s 3 minutes before we can so anything as Indesign goes through it’s unnecessary commercials, by forcing me to see the indesign team and stuff I don’t need to see. Remember friends, all I have to do is impose this, print direct to plate and make my press time. With Adobe products this is becoming increasingly annoying and please don’t mention viruses’ ant stuff, these machines are not even connected online for fears of virus and out files are constantly monitored for Trojans and the likes.

The issue here is a guy who has just been promoted to manager of their printing company who wants to earn a living doing the things he likes and was trained for- and Adobe’s products are not performing up to the task and there is nothing else. Sure Photoshop may works beautifully for you and it does on my home system but the workload there is different, I am in recreational mode with my 5 year old son, so waiting is no big deal. At work it’s a different issue, I am trying to pay my mortgage and Adobe products are completely failing the task. If I had a choice, I would not use any of them in the work environment but my bosses are caught up in the monopoly hype like most of us recreational users are – so we are stuck with these sluggish tools. The best time of the day is when I have to leave work, enough is enough. Right now I am waiting for Bridge to display 27 photos on a customer’s CD, it’s been 7 minutes which is the time it took me to write this, know what!!! I am still waiting!!! That’s Adobe for you!!!
P
Phosphor
Feb 14, 2007
Here’s the deal though:

There are hordes of people who have no trouble at all working with the Adobe Suite to produce gobs of content—day after day after day—many with projects and creative teams which are larger than yours, others which are smaller. So, what you’re experiencing sounds like it’s intrinsic to your set-up and configuration, somehow.

You’ve only just now offered a scant few details about your processor(s) & RAM amounts, but even beyond that you’ve neglected info about allocation of the RAM for applications, hard drive and networking configs and space available, OS version, whether there might be other apps that could have an effect. There are myriad missing factors in your posts—small and large—that could provide some insight. Are you trying to work directly across a network at all, either with documents or by accessing fonts on a remote server?

If, as you say, you’ve been in the game for 15 years, surely you must know that this information is of paramount importance if you have any expectation of getting some help with your problems.

For instance (and I’m not even a Windows guy—this is just something I know from reading here), the problem with Photoshop’s UI showing up blank might very well have something to do with an improper setting in your Hardware (display card) Acceleration. Or it could be a driver issue. But nobody here has been informed about whether you’ve tried troubleshooting these things, or if you even know to look into these things, or if you know how, or if you’re even allowed to in your work environment.

All you have done so far is complain that stuff isn’t working well; furthermore, the things you mentioned initially are things which many of us see as pointing to user error or a lack of understanding about how things work—both by themselves and in consort with your hardware and other software. There’s no shame in admitting you don’t know stuff…hell, I’ve driven cars for over 30 years, I’ve attempted and completed repairs both major and minor, but I still have no real idea how an automatic transmission works.

If all you want to do is complain you’ll mostly get two kinds of feedback here (we are, after all, just simple users of the software, just like you): The "Me Too" folks with whom you can commiserate, and the others who will say "Works OK for Me!". Neither are very productive; your energies would be better spent consulting with Adobe Technical Support directly (Check the "Contact" link at the top of every Forum page).

You can trust me on this one: Nobody here on the forums really wants to have to drag information out of you, no matter how patient and brave a face they might display through their writing.

You want help from the other users here? You’ll get it, but it’s incumbent upon you to be as forthcoming, precise and clear with writing out details as you can possibly muster.

If all you want to do is complain, well…have fun with that. And don’t forget to take your blood pressure medication.
B
Bernie
Feb 14, 2007
Good post Phos!

Couldn’t have said it better myself
P
PeterK.
Feb 14, 2007
Short answers

1 and part of 2 are hardware issues. The other part of 2 is user error. 3,4,5 are user error. I’d elaborate, but I haven’t got the time and if you spent half as much time searching this forum as you did typing up those rants, you would have already found and fixed the problem. They’ve already been covered in the past.
S
subdude
Feb 15, 2007
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:14:58 -0800, thought
it was important to mention:

Judging from the response her I can see that I am Lamb in the Lion’s cage, that’s okay anyway as over the years I’ve come to realize that most of the issues with Photoshop happens in a work environment and not in the usual recreational area that the software is known for. The issue here my good friends is the entire suite of Adobe applications function against your production goals. For example we are a design firm with a decent size prepress area and make use of the entire Adobe suite. When you close an application it should not Hang Around a minute later, why? Because it slows everything down and our customers are not going to be happy when their local news paper is late. Every single day of my working life with adobe products, I am frustrated and often resort to either a cigarette or profanity. I mean come on, should Illustrator really take 3 minutes to open a 32k eps file that I simply want to trap? Gosh man! our computers are all the latest processor speed and3 Gigs of ram, we
lease so the computers are updated with just a phone call to the leasing company. The same with Acrobat, standard process here is to resave the 56 page PDF so we can impose into dynastrip- Acrobat takes it about 2 minutes just to launch and another minute to be usable. Remember all we want to do is resave- this is a task the software slows production and we have a $2500 an hour urbanite press waiting, not to mention the binary department and the truck that comes at 4:45 every morning for the periodical.

Now we try to close Acrobat and it takes its own time, if we are lucky, there is a two minute wait. We are now doing a fashion magazine, only 32 pages, the program is Indesign, the same sluggish slow process happens, it’s 3 minutes before we can so anything as Indesign goes through it’s unnecessary commercials, by forcing me to see the indesign team and stuff I don’t need to see. Remember friends, all I have to do is impose this, print direct to plate and make my press time. With Adobe products this is becoming increasingly annoying and please don’t mention viruses’ ant stuff, these machines are not even connected online for fears of virus and out files are constantly monitored for Trojans and the likes.

The issue here is a guy who has just been promoted to manager of their printing company who wants to earn a living doing the things he likes and was trained for- and Adobe’s products are not performing up to the task and there is nothing else. Sure Photoshop may works beautifully for you and it does on my home system but the workload there is different, I am in recreational mode with my 5 year old son, so waiting is no big deal. At work it’s a different issue, I am trying to pay my mortgage and Adobe products are completely failing the task. If I had a choice, I would not use any of them in the work environment but my bosses are caught up in the monopoly hype like most of us recreational users are – so we are stuck with these sluggish tools. The best time of the day is when I have to leave work, enough is enough. Right now I am waiting for Bridge to display 27 photos on a customer’s CD, it’s been 7 minutes which is the time it took me to write this, know what!!! I am still
waiting!!!
That’s Adobe for you!!!

Sincejan63 –

If you’re anywhere in the Eastern PA area, I’d love to have you as a client. Most of my clients are formerly abused souls and companies who have been sadly misserved by their inhouse IT or ‘consultants’ who couldn’t think their way out of a paper bag, but know how to sell and talk a good game. Sounds like you all over!

And thank GOD for them, otherwise my clientele wouldn’t be so damn greatful once they finally find ME!

:subdude

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections