Posted By
mikael_runsten
Jun 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi!
I have a picture that i like to fade out, from one side to the other in a linear way. (ie 100% visible at left, and 0% at right side) I am a newbie, so please explain the easiest way to do this. Thanks,
Micke

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 17, 2004
The easiest way….assuming you want it to fade to white….in the tool palette make sure foreground color is set to white ( or whatever color you want it it fade to ) and go to toolbar>layer>new fill layer>gradient fill, just click OK at the settings>another window will open with options>set angle to ‘0’. You can move the percentage slider and/or click on gradient color bar to open up another window that will allow to change/move the opacity sliders.

OR, use the gradient tool….above your image create a new layer>click on gradient tool>options above screen will show different angle options for this tool>choose left to right(linear). Click on color gradient option box next to that and in upper right is a little arrow>click on that>click ‘reset gradients’, this will bring up a gradient pallete with just your foreground color to transparent…should be the first or second one on the list. With this tool selected drag from one edge to the other.

There are other ways but I’m running out of time right now….. If ya need help we are here..
MR
mikael_runsten
Jun 17, 2004
Thanks, but actually I want another picture to be visable under, where the top picture "fade out" (beeing more transparent).

So I don’t want it to fade to a color, but to a different picture.

Thank you for your help,
Micke
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 17, 2004
Micke,

Set up your pictures so that you have both images in the same document, on separate layers. (In case you need how-to… drag one image’s background layer from the Layers palette and, while holding SHIFT, drop into the other image’s window.)

In the Layers palette, select the lowest layer of the two images. Click the icon at the bottom of the Layers palette to add an adjustment layer (the black/white circle). Choose Levels, and when the Levels screen comes up, just click OK without making any changes. (You could use other types of adjustment layers, but I had to pick one for this example). This gives us a layer with a layer mask to use.

Your new Levels layer should already be selected, but to be certain click the white icon on the Levels layer in the Layers palette. Your image window’s title bar should indicate Layer Mask.

In the Layers palette, while holding the ALT key, place your cursor between the Levels layer and the upper image layer just above it. When the cursor changes to the linking symbol (two overlapping circles), click. This groups your upper layer with the Levels layer, so that it will only be visible where the Layer Mask has white. Where the Layer Mask has black, the lower layer will show through. Since the Layer Mask is currently all white, all you see is the upper layer.

Choose the Gradient tool from the toolbar. In the Options bar, click the dropdown arrow next to the gradient sample and choose the Black/White gradient. In my system, that is the 3rd gradient in the Default set.

Click and drag over the image… the point at which you begin dragging will be the point at which your upper image begins to lose opacity. The area over which you drag will be where your upper image transitions from opaque to transparent. The point at which you release the mouse button will be the point at which your upper image becomes fully transparent.

A relatively short stroke with the Gradient tool will result in a more abrupt fade, while a longer stroke will give a much slower transition.

If you don’t like the result at first, just UNDO painting the gradient and try again. Try experimenting with the different shapes of gradient on the Options bar.

The key trick here is that, by grouping the upper image layer with the Levels layer, and then painting with black on the Levels layer’s Layer Mask, the visibility of the grouped image layer is constrained to the white area of the Layer Mask.

HTH,

Byron
DG
David G House
Jun 17, 2004
Byron..

easy for you to say… (((((((:))))))) makes me dizzy,,,, but thanks for responding to mikael.. I’ll have to keep this one….

David

P.S. how do you remember these things,, LOL
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 17, 2004
To add to Byron’s post, if you hold the shift key while pulling your gradient you will constrain the gradient so it pulls in a straight line…up or down or corner. Why so dizzy David? All Byron is saying is put two photos in one document; add an adjustment layer between them. (Think picture sandwich and the adjustment layer is the ham). Cntrl G the top picture to make a clipping group. Then use the gradient tool using a Black and white gradient and drag gradient on the white mask located next to the layers adjustment level. I’m not sure if Byron mentioned you can also adjust the opacity of the adjustment level layer to control opacity of the top layer.

Terri
DG
David G House
Jun 17, 2004
Dizzy Terri cuz its a lot of new terms… I am still fairly new to Elements (as my images reveal)and learning different and new stuff all the time and sometimes get confused with all the layers and what they do and how etc etc.. just overwhelming to keep it all straight,,,
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 17, 2004
"David G House" wrote
P.S. how do you remember these things,, LOL

David,

This particular method was the first significant trick that I learned when starting with Elements. Maybe that makes it stickier in my mind. More likely is that the concept of masking layers was such an "A-HA!!" for me, that it marked a real advancement in my Elements usage.

I’ve since added aftermarket tools which allow layer masks to be applied to any image layer (Richard Lynch’s Hidden Power tools and book.) so don’t use the "clipping group" method as much, any more… but it’s earned a permanent spot in my toolbox.

Byron
MR
mikael_runsten
Jun 17, 2004
Byron, Terri:

Thank You very much, working great!!
First time took some time to read thru the instructions, clicking and find the right tools, but after a first lucky attemt it’s quite quick to do.

Once again, thank You!
From a happy Swedish guy 🙂
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 17, 2004
Micke,

Hooray!! I’m glad to know that it worked for you.

Byron

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections