GO
Posted By
Gordon_Olson
Dec 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On my G4 Mac running 10.5.5 and an Epson 4000 printer, using the latest Epson driver, prints using Photoshop CS3 look great, but the same settings in Photoshop CS4 give very dark images.

I can run the two applications side by side comparing the "Color Settings …" and the various options in the print dialog boxes. There appear to be very few new options. Having everything the same gives very different printed results. I’ve tried changing some of the new features like "Compensate for Scene-referred Profiles" and they make no difference.

On my calibrated screen, images look identical in PS3 and PS4. Only when printed is there a difference.

I’ve been using Adobe RGB 1998 color space for some time now with Photoshop doing the color management. The color adjustment switch in the print dialog box is off. I use the same printer profiles in both versions of PS.

Any suggestions?

Gordon

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Dec 10, 2008
Printing from CS4 is broken in Leopard, prints fine in Tiger.

You may want to give the Gutenprint driver a try, at your own risk. :/
R
Ram
Dec 10, 2008
Or you may want to decrease ink density by some 15% (trial and error).
GO
Gordon_Olson
Dec 10, 2008
Surely you’re joking! Adobe can’t ship a product that doesn’t print correctly in the current OS! That would be insane! Do I have to stay with PS3?

Gordon
R
Ram
Dec 10, 2008
I have news for you, Gordon: there are CS4 users who are going back to CS2 and even CS for printing. Printing from CS4 and CS3 is a hit-or-miss affair in Leopard. I won’t be going anywhere near 10.5.x, ever.
D
DYP
Dec 10, 2008
Surely you’re joking! Adobe can’t ship a product that doesn’t print correctly in the current OS! That would be insane! Do I have to stay with PS3?

Are you using the latest drivers?

Have you tried the ColorSync Utility workaround?

Have you contacted Epson?

Have you tried Convert to Printer/Paper profile in PSCS4 and then choosing Printer Manages Color and then turn off CM in the driver?
GO
Gordon_Olson
Dec 10, 2008
Since printing from PS3 has been working just fine for me, I was not aware of these problems. There are new features in PS4 that I like, but it look like I’ll be using PS3 for printing.

Thanks, even if the news is bad!

Gordon
JH
Jason Hicking
Dec 11, 2008
Hi Gordon
Just a quick shot at a solution here as it’s past my bed time in the UK and I need my beauty sleep – and no Photoshop ain’t that good!

Anyway I’ve had the same issue as yourself but with a MacPro running 10.5.5 and CS4 to an Epson 7600 which is about the same generation of machine and driver as your 4000. Note that I also have a R2400 and a Xerox A3 Laser hooked up to the same Mac and I found the cure to my problem was to do the following:
1. Quit Photoshop
2. Go to System Preferences > Print & Fax
3. Set the printer you are going to use as the Default Printer
4. Close the System Preferences and open Photoshop
5. Open your image and got to File > Print
At this point make sure that the printer has been selected automatically as the default printer in the top centre of the Print panel.
6. Select ‘Photoshop Manages Color’
7. Choose the correct paper/printer profile
8. Click ‘Print’ and set the drivers Color Management to ‘No Color Adjustment’

I think this solution works by forcing the ColorSync system to choose the correct default profile. Hope it works for you as well, let me know if it doesn’t as I may have a different solution for you.

Nighty Night
Jason
Replica Imaging Limited
UK
GO
Gordon_Olson
Dec 11, 2008
Jason,

Thank you! Thank you!

Making the Epson printer the default device corrects the problem. Tomorrow I’ll have to try something on the Brother laser printer to see if it is messed up by not being the default printer. Switching the default in Print & Fax is easier than using an old version of Photoshop to do my printing.

Thanks, again,

Gordon
R
Ram
Dec 11, 2008
Good news indeed. It also points a finger toward Apple as the culprit…
L
Lundberg02
Dec 12, 2008
Eric Chan, are you reading this? Good thinking from Britain!
PF
Peter_Figen
Dec 12, 2008
This is the same "fix" that fixed the weird Colorsync skintone posterization problem a year and a half ago or so. I guess anyone still setting their printer as the default printer wouldn’t be seeing the problem. Sounds like good advice going forward for the time being.
EC
Eric_Chan
Dec 12, 2008
Essentially, with the newer Leopard APIs, the recommended approach is for a printer driver to register its printer profiles to the system (i.e., Leopard). That is, the driver needs to provide a default profile to Leopard so that Leopard can provide the appropriate color matching. The default profile provided usually is a function of the color mode (e.g., RGB color or black-and-white), media type, resolution, etc.

CS4 was updated to use the newer printing APIs (a requirement moving forward) and hence relies on the driver providing the correct default profile. If the driver doesn’t do this, then Leopard will provide its own default profile, which is obviously not the correct printing profile and will have the side effect of making prints appear too dark and possibly with a strong color cast.

(BTW, this is exactly what was going on with some Canon iPF printers recently with many users blaming Adobe for introducing printing bugs in CS4, when the real issue was the driver not correctly providing the default profile to Leopard. The issue was resolved a couple of days ago when Canon released an updated driver.)
D
DYP
Dec 12, 2008
(BTW, this is exactly what was going on with some Canon iPF printers recently with many users blaming Adobe for introducing printing bugs in CS4, when the real issue was the driver not correctly providing the default profile to Leopard. The issue was resolved a couple of days ago when Canon released an updated driver.)

Not exactly. The issue was being forced to use Colorsync resulting in double profiling (why the CU workaround worked) instead of being able to select or defaulting to No Correction.

The latest drivers default to No Correction instead of ColorSync thus no double profiling. We do not want Leopard or the Printer driver to provide profiles when setting PSCS4 or LR2.1 to Manage Colors.
EC
Eric_Chan
Dec 12, 2008
DYP, that is incorrect.

Yes, Leopard and the printer driver still need to provide appropriate profiles even when using CS4 or LR 2 to manage colors (i.e., application manages colors, instead of printer manages colors). This is simply the way color matching under Leopard works. You’ll have to trust me on this, unless you want to read a lot of ColorSync, Core Graphics, and Quartz documentation yourself. (I’m sure you have better things to do.)

As I’ve mentioned to you previously, on the Epson side the Color Matching tab in Leopard is "forced to use ColorSync" but color matching still works correctly. The key is to have valid default profiles provided by the driver to the OS.
L
Lundberg02
Dec 12, 2008
Time for Apple to hold the annual remedial reading class.
D
DYP
Dec 12, 2008
As I’ve mentioned to you previously, on the Epson side the Color Matching tab in Leopard is "forced to use ColorSync" but color matching still works correctly. The key is to have valid default profiles provided by the driver to the OS.

Or custom profiles for the selected media set in the ColorSync Utility.

Some Epson drivers maybe but the new Canon drivers not. What your really saying is what applies to canned profiles from or for the Printer. If your being "forced to use ColorSync" none of this really works for custom profiles and media that is not listed in the CU but is available in the driver. I am not familiar enough with Epson printers to say wether all media available to the driver is listed in CU, but with the iPF Canon printers they are not all listed in CU.

I would need test with LR2.1 and PSCS4 to see if changing the profile for the default setting (for unlisted media) in CU makes a difference. But I do know that with PSCS3 changing that default profile did not make any difference.

You’ll have to trust me on this, unless you want to read a lot of ColorSync, Core Graphics, and Quartz documentation yourself. (I’m sure you have better things to do.)

You can read all you want but I can tell you (trust me on this) about what actually works when using these tools, printing everyday.
CC
Conrad_Chavez
Dec 15, 2008
Apple has just released Mac OS X 10.5.6 (release notes <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3194>). The combo updater is here < http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_6_Combo_Upd ate>.

One of the fixes is listed by Apple as
"Improves printing for the Adobe CS3 application suite."

It would be interesting to see if it helps with the default profile problem.
R
Ram
Dec 16, 2008
"Improves printing for the Adobe CS3 application suite."

But not CS4??
TH
Tom_H_Mikkelsen
Dec 17, 2008
Hi All:
I have been experienbcing similar printing problems. I recently changed platforms from PC to I-MAC. I used LR2 and CS4 on the windows based machine and printed on my Epson R1800 (using Epson ICC profiles)with very good results. Not so on the I-Mac. Using the same workflow (in either LR 2.2 and CS4) the print oputput is too dark, way too dark. I think that the problem results from double profiling as discussed above but I don’t know a work around for this problem except to lighten the image and then print it, a hit and miss process that uses lots of ink and paper to produce a suitable print.

Is there asny way to turn one of the profiles off?
L
Lundberg02
Dec 17, 2008
Did you follow the advice about default printer?
TH
Tom_H_Mikkelsen
Dec 18, 2008
yes, but nothing has helped.

thm
L
Lundberg02
Dec 18, 2008
see the other thread Printing Too Dark
L
LarryGR
Dec 18, 2008
Tom – I’m seeing the same thing on my R1800 and I’ve tried Eric’s advice. Too dark. What is the other thread?
TH
Tom_H_Mikkelsen
Dec 18, 2008
Larry:

The other thread is farther down the list for the Photoshop Mac forum, about 36 comments. I’ve followed all of these suggestions. Nothing seems to help. I can increase the exposure of the image and get a reasonable print @Levels +1.30. This is a hit and miss (mostly miss) process that uses a lot of ink and paper and defeats the purpose of working in a color managed environment. It does seem to be a MAC/Adobe/Epson problem and we may not be a big enough user group to warrant their attention.

I’m not a techie but the problem does seem to be double profiling. Both the MAC ColorSync utility and Photoshop Utility employ the ICC profile at the same time, not once as in CS3, but twice and I really haven’t found a work around to defeat one selection that works.
Cheers to all ,

Tom Mikkelsen
L
Lundberg02
Dec 18, 2008
It’s NOT MAC, it’s Mac. MAC is some dumbass network thing.
D
DYP
Dec 18, 2008
Tom

I know exactly what your talking about. I don’t think your going to get Adobe or Apple to make any changes. They seems to be bent on trying to make this idiot proof and force things on the driver.

If Canon can make the necessary changes then so can Epson. I would suggest you get on Epson’s case about this.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 19, 2008
MAC = "Media Access Control" address or Ethernet Hardware Address

….among many other acronyms.

Neil
L
LarryGR
Dec 19, 2008
I found the other thread and it says:

Assign Profile: Generic RGB Profile
Print from CS4 (default printer): Printer Manages Color
Intent setting don’t matter
In the Epson print dialogue:
Set the media type
Color Settings: EPSON VIVID
Best photo

This solved my problem wonderfully with Epson DS Matt paper. A really close screen print match! I’ll try Premium Luster next.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 19, 2008
Assign Profile: Generic RGB Profile … EPSON VIVID

That is almost always bad advice…I hope you didn’t see it here.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 19, 2008
This is what Eric Chan actually wrote in the "Other Thread":

Eric Chan – 3:11pm Dec 17, 08 PST (#35 of 44) Camera Raw Engineer

In CS4, try doing

– Edit -> Convert to Profile. Choose your custom B&W profile. Preview image should look ok.

– Edit -> Assign Profile. Choose Generic RGB. Preview will look bogus. Ignore it.

– Do File -> Print. Choose Printer Manages Colors. Rendering Intent doesn’t matter.

– Set ABW driver settings as desired.
R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
Note, that advice was given by Eric Chan only in the context of jumping through hoops in order to compensate for a ghastly printing experience under Leopard using the Advanced B&W printing mode in some Epson printer(s).
L
LarryGR
Dec 19, 2008
Per post #28 Eric’s advice works just as well for Epson Premium Luster paper also. Finally prints that match. After reading Eric’s posts again it makes sense.

Tom I’m wondering if this works for you also on your R1800.
R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
Larry,

You do realize that by converting to a grayscale profile and then assigning a different profile, one is introducing tonal shifts that may at first sight benefit the prints that are coming out wrong, don’t you?

The test, of course, would be to compare that print with a print obtained in a system where it’s not necessary to jump through hoops and introduce an uncontrolled shift/boost, say by printing from CS and Tiger. Only then can you tel you if anything has been blocked, shifted or blown out in the print beyond that which can be observed on the monitor screen.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 19, 2008
I don’t know about all of this I am not having any problems but I only use a low end Epson R280.

Does not print too dark.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 19, 2008
My CS4 prints are just fine (using the same profiles that I have always used) — but I am running CS4 on Mac OSX 10.4.11.
R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
Same here.
D
DYP
Dec 19, 2008
My prints are just fine here. The latest Canon iPF series driver or the Plugin. And in LR2.1 too.
TH
Tom_H_Mikkelsen
Dec 19, 2008
Ann & Ramon:

I just bought my Mac and don’t have the option of going back to a previous operating system. It does seem that Leopard is the problem, not Adobe or Epson. I’m stuck and will have to use my old Windows workstation and CS3 to make prints until someone can come up with a fix for this problem. I suppose that I could use something like a Color Burst RIP but that would necessitate buying another printer.

Tom M
GB
g_ballard
Dec 19, 2008
I still print in CS3, 10.4.11, Intel.

By the time CS4/10.5 printing gets worked out, my guess is 10.6 will start the process over with a new set of issues (as CS2 did with the posterized red tones)…
TH
Tom_H_Mikkelsen
Dec 19, 2008
DYP:

Is there a CU workaround for Epson printers?

Tom M
D
DYP
Dec 19, 2008
There should be, but it’s limited to the media listed in CU. The default (standard on my 9600) probably would work with other media settings. You’ll have to test that though.

As cheap as the Canon iPF5100s are I think you should just buy one and forget this whole Epson/Adobe/Apple mess.
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Dec 21, 2008
I just made a print in CS4 on my epson 9600 – For some reason, all my old paper sizes from CS3 are corrupted. What should have been a 17" wide paper came out as a 22" paper size.

I may have to rebuild all my custom paper sizes for the 3 wide Epson printers here.

I am using a Mac Pro with OS 10.5.6 (the latest upgrade).

I still have CS3 loaded – and I may revert to that until I have time to get the page setup sizes redone.

There are always some bumps. I switched to CS4 for only one reason – to be able to use the burn tool without making whites and colors turn gray.

Dick

<http://www.wilderness-studio.com>
RL
Richard_Lohr
Dec 21, 2008
I got pretty excited about Jason’s default printer solution, but alas it didn’t work, due to my set-up. I started a new thread before seeing this one (Thanks for your response DYP), and wanted to move over to this. Here’s what I wrote before (I’ve left it intact, in case there’s anything in there that can be of help):

I have just started using a trial of Photoshop CS4, but am having problems printing. My setup is somewhat unusual, but has been working just fine with CS2. I’m working on a Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 with 4.5Gb ram, running OS 10.4.11. That is networked to a Dual 867MHz PowerPC G4 with 1.25Gb ram, running OS 10.3.9. My Epson R2400 printer is connected to the G4. I have set it up like this because my office is quite small, and I have my printers and G4 in another room.

When I made my first print from CS4, it was very dark. I closed CS4, opened the file in CS2 and made another print. It was fine. I closed CS2 again and opened the file in CS4. I then moved my printer into my office and connected it directly to the G5 and made another print. It was very dark, just like the first. Next, I logged out and logged back into a test account, which has just basic OS apps enabled. I started CS4, opened the file, and printed it. It was fine (slightly different in color, but almost the same as the one that I had printed from CS2). Assuming that the problem was in my admin account, I reconnected the printer to the networked G4, and from my test account, made another print. Again it was very dark.

In all cases, I am letting Photoshop manage the color, using the same paper, profile, and rendering intent, etc. Color management is turned off and the printer settings are checked each time I make a print.

I’m beginning to think that I just cannot print through the G4 unless I upgrade the OS, but if someone could shed some light on this…

Here’s are the other things I’ve tried:
Removing and replacing (renaming) printer from the printer list. Trashed the CS4 prefs and let it make new ones.
Trying to print after booting up in safe boot mode (unable to choose any printer though in that instance).
Re-installed the Epson printer driver on the G4.
D
DYP
Dec 21, 2008
Before I would do anything else I would try printing with something other than Photoshop CS4 from the G5.
L
LarryGR
Dec 21, 2008
Ramón – That’s not what I’m doing. I’m following Eric’s instructions as reiterated by Ann in this thread. I use a color profile to start not a B&W profile. Somewhere in the original thread he stated using it either way. In any case the test prints that I’m using are wide gamut Photomatrix prints that use a wide range of colors and they finally look great!
RL
Richard_Lohr
Dec 21, 2008
Sorry, I don’t quite understand. You mean directly, via USB? In my somewhat lengthy post, I described how I can print fine with CS2 from my the G5 via the networked G4, using my normal account settings.
D
DYP
Dec 21, 2008
Sorry, I don’t quite understand. You mean directly, via USB? In my somewhat lengthy post, I described how I can print fine with CS2 from my the G5 via the networked G4, using my normal account settings.

Sorry I missed that. Then I would look at what changes need to be made in regards to printing from the PSCS4.

What driver version are you using on the G5?
RL
Richard_Lohr
Dec 21, 2008
I’m using the "latest" driver. V2.5bAs, which is now 2 years old.
D
DYP
Dec 21, 2008
Hopefully someone here that has the same setup and can give some input into whether you can get correct prints from PSCS4 and 10.4.11 with your driver and printer.

Is your R2400 set as the default printer. You may have to use this to get it to set. <http://127.0.0.1:631/printers>. Setting default printer does not always work from the driver set screen.
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2008
Larry,

You are mistaken. Any time you assign a profile to an existing image file, you’re messing with the tonality of the image, just like I said in my previous post. What you start with is immaterial.
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2008
Setting default printer does not always work from the driver set screen.

Go through Apple menu > System Preferences… > Print and Fax >
D
DYP
Dec 21, 2008
Go through Apple menu > System Preferences… > Print and Fax >

That is what I meant, but it doesn’t always work.
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2008
Never failed here…
RL
Richard_Lohr
Dec 21, 2008
Interestingly, I set the 2400 connected to my G4 as default in the Print and Fax prefs, but the link <http://127.0.0.1:631/printers> shows another printer as the default, but if I try to change that I get the following message:
"Forbidden. You don’t have permission to access the resource on this server."
D
DYP
Dec 21, 2008
Have you repaired permissions?
RL
Richard_Lohr
Dec 21, 2008
Where’s that message from? My router?
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2008
Duplicate post
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2008
FWIW, I just went there and got that message. I think it’s from the web site server. Interesting page.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 22, 2008
Who are these ESP people and how do they know what printers we have when no printers are switched on? And what else can they access on our computers?

Our Company Easy Software Products is a 14-year old software company located in California that produces the HTMLDOCTM document and report publishing software for Linux®, MacOS X®, Solaris®, and Microsoft Windows®. We focus on creating the most useful and easy-to-use software available, refining our software based on our customers’ needs and experiences.
RL
Richard_Lohr
Dec 22, 2008
Ann,
I agree. It’s quite scary, and it’s also huge distraction. All I wanted to do was upgrade my photo editing software and make some prints. Now I’m having to contemplate larger issues. I might just have to crawl back underneath my comfy CS2 rock and pretend CS4 never happened. I’ve been quite good at pretending CS3 never happened, except for Black and White adjustment layers.
D
DYP
Dec 22, 2008
What are you guys talking about. <http://127.0.0.1:631/> is simply the web interface for the CUPS printing system.

These web pages allow you to monitor your printers and jobs as well as perform system administration tasks. Click on any of the tabs above or on the buttons below to perform a task.

If you are asked for a username and password, enter your login username and password or the "root" username and password.
RL
Richard_Lohr
Dec 22, 2008
I see. Thanks (hey… some of us are just a bit jittery about "big brother".

Useful reading: <http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/overview.html>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 23, 2008
If you are asked for a username and password, enter your login username and password or the "root" username and password.

Entering my Root user name and Password on an Internet web site is NOT something that I would be comfortable doing!

The <http://127.0.0.1:631/> Link definitely appeared to be connected to a commercial sit on the Internet —complete with Ads. for third party ESW software and a tabbed Link to <http://www.cups.org/> and their Forums.
PT
Phil_Taz
Dec 23, 2008
Hehe… frightened of your own reflections!

Just to clarify DYP’s explanation… You are looking at your own printing system…. 127.0.0.1 is only looking at your own computer, you are not exposing yourself unless they have some kind of fake popup that is logging your IP and those details. I must state here that I am no expert, but that process you are looking at is nothing sinister!

You can unplug your network cable and put in that 127.0.0.1:631 and see your own printers via your own computer.

<http://www.tech-faq.com/127.0.0.1.shtml>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 23, 2008
What do you not understand about the use of the Past Tense?

"The <http://127.0.0.1:631/> Link definitely appeared to be connected to a commercial site on the Internet …"

Ads. for commercial products; and a designed web page; hardly look like an info panel which is part of one’s own operating System.

I have no need for the CUP’s service anyway as my Printing set-up works perfectly well using the normal OSX Printers Set-up.

Incidentally, why do you have to be so obnoxious anyway?
D
DYP
Dec 23, 2008
It is a bit ridiculous to get off on this whole debate as to the use of the CUPS web interface. Some people have to use it to set the default printer because in some cases it can not be done with the normal OSX Printers Set-up.

If you can set it in the normal OSX Printers Set-up, good for you, but I have two machines running 10.5.5 here it it can not be done with the normal OSX Printers Set-up.
RL
Richard_Lohr
Dec 23, 2008
Yes, it is getting a bit silly. Chill, people! ’tis the season, and all that…

DYP, I cannot successfully set my default printer through Print and Fax on my setup. It just reverts each time to the local printer. I can log on to CUPS as administrator on the G5, but only have privileges to administer the printer that is connected directly to my G5. I can send test print, etc. to others, but can’t change the default printer. If I try to do anything like that, I get the same "Forbidden" message. If I try to log on to CUPS on the G4, my password is not accepted. I thought that might have something to do with already being logged on on the G5, but I don’t see an option to log off. I have the same username on both computers, but different passwords. Is the username the problem?

Thanks for all your help, by the way.
D
DYP
Dec 23, 2008
I don’t think the default printer on the G4 is the problem. On the G5 in some instances it seems that the wrong profile get submitted by the OS/Printer driver combo if another printer is set as the default.

I think this was talked about earlier in this thread.

Let me clarify something. I no longer use Epson printers and in cases involving Epson printer I am passing along what I have read and heard. In working through these problems and workarounds it is from my experience with Canon printers, some of which applies to Epson printer as well. I was able to have good contact with Canon technical support and passed along all my finding as they related to the iPF printers. I am happy to say these issues (color management) have been corrected and no more double profiling has been going on, and with the Fast Graphic Process setting in the driver, Apple cannot apply any profiles in the print flow. I believe that Epson will need to step up to the ball and do the same thing if the want to support a professional Color Managed print flow to their printers, given the current policy of Apple and Adobe. They may have already done this with their latest printers (at least what I have been told) so the need is to convince them to do this for there older printers.
LS
Louie_Sherwin
Jan 5, 2009
Interesting situation that Ann describes. This IP address should only point to your local computer.

I am curious what you see if you use the Network Utility and use the Traceroute tab with the 127.0.0.1 for the network address.

If you get anything other than the following you may have a problem with your routing tables.

Traceroute has started …

traceroute to 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets 1 localhost (127.0.0.1) 4.006 ms 0.059 ms 0.043 ms

-louie

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections