AL
Posted By
Amber_l_McEnturff
Feb 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What might cause the paint bucket to fill with gray instead of the selected color?

I have tried adjusting my layer order and painting on a new layer, but it still gives me gray no matter what color I select!

I am using Photoshop CS on Windows XP Professional.

Thanks,
Amber

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AL
Amber_l_McEnturff
Feb 8, 2007
<http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8642/greyag0.jpg>

<http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/3043/greenhp6.jpg>

These images might help you help me!

The window directly to the left of the layer options box is the one that shows the example. In the "grey" image (the first one), note the color I picked. Then in the "green" one, note how I just moved it a little left in the color box, and somehow the green showed up correctly.

???

Thanks!
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 8, 2007
Maybe I’m being thick, but what does this have to do with the Paint Bucket? I have to admit that I can’t figure out what you’re doing? Using a Layer Style to color areas?
AL
Amber_l_McEnturff
Feb 8, 2007
Sorry, further explanation:

I tried using the paint bucket, and kept getting gray.

So I added a Color Overlay to the layer to see if that worked instead, and while fiddling around with the color box, I noticed that the color showed up correctly at times, but grey at others.

I posted the pictures to show where I was in the spectrum, hoping that if you knew it worked sometimes but not others it might help you solve my problem. At one point, the color works, but if you go further right (as shown in the pictures), it goes gray.

The ONLY purpose of the color overlay pictures was to show where I was on the spectrum, right next to the window in question. I don’t want to use the color overlay to paint the trim.
B
Bernie
Feb 8, 2007
Wild guesses:

1) An adjustment layer above may bring that colour to neutral.

2) What oe is the bucket set to (make sure it’s normal)
DR
Donald_Reese
Feb 8, 2007
What gray are you talking about? all i see is the transparency in the frame around the window.
AL
Amber_l_McEnturff
Feb 8, 2007
Donald, the grey in the window to the left. In the second picture, the same frame is green.

I think you’re looking at the window above or to the right of the layer options box.

Thanks Cybernetic for the suggestions. I have checked those with no result.
JM
Jonty_M_Sexton
Feb 9, 2007
Sure you don’t have quick mask toggled?
TG
Tom Glowka
Feb 12, 2007
Amber

Are you by chance working on a photo in grayscale mode?
AL
Amber_l_McEnturff
Feb 12, 2007
I double checked the quick mask, and no it isn’t toggled. I am not in grayscale mode either.

It’s a mystery! I’m sure it’s the silliest little setting, but that’s OK. I have finished the project despite the issue. 🙂
C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 12, 2007
Simple way to test it.

* Make a new RGB document

* Use the colour picker to select red as the background colour and green as the foreground colour.

* make a selection using the marquee tool

* Go Alt+Del (the selection should fill with green)

* Go Ctrl+Del (it should fill with red)

* Now take the Paint bucket tool and click within the selection (it should go green again)

If this works as above, the tools are okay and the problem must have been with blending modes, or what have you, in the original file.

If it doesn’t work as above, report back here with your findings.

Chris.
P
PECourtejoie
Feb 13, 2007
I notice that the green that works is a web safe color, the other not.

Maybe a replacement of the preferences files : When Photoshop is closed, search for Photoshop[version]preferences.psp file and move it to your desktop (that way, you keep a copy). Photoshop will recreate a new file, and it should work.
B
Bernie
Feb 13, 2007
I notice that the green that works is a web safe color, the other not.

Could gamut warning be turned on?
RN
Rusty_N._Edwards
Feb 14, 2007
I am having a similar problem with the color replacement tool and the color replacement command. I use the eyedropper to select the color I wish to replace. Then I choose the new color in the result box. It shows up properly there but then replaces with a different color. I’m just learning to use Photoshop. The tool worked as I did the exercise changing colors from the Classroom in a Book exercise, but not with my figures.
UP
uma_pipat
Mar 13, 2007
I have same problem with Rusty N. Edward, too. I’ve used "Replace Color" before and it worked fine. Now I’m trying to change an image with background from White to Beige (this image is all in 1 layer.
Now no matter what color I choose in the result box, it will replace with gray (ex. if I choose beige, it will be light gray, if I choose brown, it will turn dark gray).

Please Help.
L
LenHewitt
Mar 13, 2007
Replace colour needs a colour to start with – and white and black have no colour value.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections