JH
Posted By
Jim_Hess
Jun 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Took a very quick trip through Monument Valley last week. I have a number of photos that I will be posting tomorrow night but I just wanted to share a couple of them with you for right now. This is one of my favorite spots to visit.

< http://groups.msn.com/JimHessPhotos/monumentvalley.msnw?acti on=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=32>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 14, 2004
Jim, it’s indeed very impressive. I can understand why you like to visit this place!

Nice pictures 🙂

Ray
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 14, 2004
Lovely photo Jim. Where is Monument Valley?
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 14, 2004
Beautiful! Hot and dry, the opposite of here.
Thanks for sharing,
Jane
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 14, 2004
Hot and dry sounds good to me too – cold and wet here. Wonderful colours in the rocks! It’s always fascinating to see good photos of the places that people visit around the world. Particularly on a cold winter’s evening, when the only travel I’m likely to be doing for a while is of the armchair variety.

Susan S
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 14, 2004
Mark,

Monument Valley is located on the Utah/Arizona border near the four corners region, where Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado meet. It has been used in many Western movies over past decades. These pictures were taken at the Navajo visitor center that is about four miles off the main road. The visitor center is in Arizona, and by the time you drive back to the main highway, you are back in Utah.

As far as "warm" is concerned, it was actually are rather chilly trip. The high temperatures that day were only in the upper sixties, and the wind kept the air a little on the nippy side.

Jim
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 14, 2004
Jim,

I can picture Wile E. Coyote plummeting to the ground below, amid the wreckage of his latest ACME doo-dad.

Seriously, though…. just gorgeous. I wish I was there.

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 14, 2004
Jim, years ago, during my travels throughout U.S.A. with all that I had seen, these were the mountains/monuments that I will never forget. My mind often drifts back there. It was one of the few places where I felt protected. Thank you for posting.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 14, 2004
Byron,

I hear you. I remember when I was a kid Dad would take me to the movies. While I was laughing at the Road Runner cartoons, he would be commenting on how the scenery reminded him of Monument Valley. He spent his first year of a long teaching career down in that area. He passed his great love for the area on to me.

Jim
J
jhjl1
Jun 14, 2004
Nice shot Jim, thanks for posting the link.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Took a very quick trip through Monument Valley last week.
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Jun 14, 2004
For those posters who are talking about ‘shot’ (singular), make sure you click on ‘next’, because IMO, the second, angled shot is fabulous. Might also look good in B&W.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 14, 2004
Well, I took John’s "challenge", and I did a very quick conversion to black and white. It is posted along with the others. If anyone is interested, tell me what you think.

< http://groups.msn.com/JimHessPhotos/monumentvalley.msnw?acti on=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=34>
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 14, 2004
Jim,
Thanks for sharing your photos. I visited this historic site a few years ago, but I did not have a digital camera or the use of editing software at that time.
Until I saw your post/link, I was not familiar with msn.groups. I have taken advantage of this display mode, and here are two pictures from my most recent trip. They were taken with my new camera which I am still learning how to use to its maximum potential.
< http://groups.msn.com/KenLiffmannPhoto/shoebox.msnw?action=S howPhoto&PhotoID=1> Ken
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 14, 2004
Jim,

They are brilliant …

Wendy
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 14, 2004
Ken,

I get a picture of a big croquet wicket.

Byron
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 14, 2004
Kenneth,
I love the arch at St. Louis. I have visited there several times. One time, we were there too late in the evening to be able to take the ride to the top. Another time I was there with a friend of mine who works for Delta Airlines, and has flown all over the world. But he refused to go up into the arch. So I haven’t had the opportunity to do that yet. Maybe next time.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 14, 2004
Byron,
You may have to scroll to see the picture in its entirety. When you click on "next," does that picture show up completely?
This thing is new to me, but I was led to believe that the JPEG file would be resized for web dimensions automatically.
Ken
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 14, 2004
Jim,
It really was an experience to go to the top. They load you in to a cabin which holds 5 people, and you’re on your way! The security was formidable. Also got some great shots from the top, through the viewing windows.
Ken
DS
Dick_Smith
Jun 14, 2004
Ken,

Two great shots. I assume this was a Lewis and Clark reinactment of sorts? Also did you go to the top of the arch? Now that was a scary moment for me.

Dick
DS
Dick_Smith
Jun 14, 2004
Jim,

The B&W rendering is terrific. Brings back lots of memories of my photgraphic days back in the 50’s!

Dick
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 14, 2004
wrote
Byron,
You may have to scroll to see the picture in its entirety. When you click
on "next," does that picture show up completely?
This thing is new to me, but I was led to believe that the JPEG file would
be resized for web dimensions automatically.
Ken

Ken,

I was just fooling… I seem to recall that, when the Arch went up, there was a joke circulating that Illinois was going to erect a gigantic croquet player on the opposing bank.

Byron
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 14, 2004
Dick,
Yes, we went to the top. Great experience. We timed the trip so that we could see the Lewis and Clark reenactment. We had seen some of the other locations on a prior trip, and ended up in Oregon. Amazing that they were able to explore these lands under such hardships.
Ken

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections