PT
Posted By
Paul_Tholfsen
Jun 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PSE 2.0 Win XP Home. The manual speaks of a slider, used to adjust the brush size, and which appears on the option bar when the clone tool has been clicked. On my system the slider doesn’t show up. Have I missed a step?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

KW
Kyle_White
Jun 13, 2004
Paul,

When you’ve got the clone tool selected there’s a little window that says "Size" with an arrow on the right hand side. Click the arrow and the slider will appear.

Kyle
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 13, 2004
Paul,

The slider for brush size in PSE is accessed by clicking on the little arrow next to where it says size in the option menu. You can drag the slider with your mouse, or use the up and down arrows located between your keyboard and numbers pad. You can also type in a number in the field but you must click on the field box to do this. Since you are using the clone stamp, you may also want to try to clone at a lower than 100% opacity value and use a soft brush…a hard brush tends to be abrupt leaving obvious clone marks.

Here are a couple of useful keyboard shortcuts: Use the [ located next to the P on your keyboard to decrease the brush size; and ]to increase the brush size. The second shortcut is to press the Shift key and the [ key to make the brush softer; and use shift and ] to make the brush harder. (I always think of it as the[ reminds me of an L for less.) By using shortcuts, you have a whole host of brushes at your fingertips without having to go up to the options bar and readjust brushes contantly.

Terri
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 13, 2004
Kyle,

Didn’t mean to walk on you. Nothing was posted when I started. I was doing two things at once, and had typed more than I wanted to start over to check if anyone else had given an answer.

Terri
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 13, 2004
Terri, thanks for the shortcuts – really neat!

Chuck
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 13, 2004
Don’t think I’ve ever seen the Shift + brackets for adjustment of hardness values discussed here. Got that out of one of my photoshop books and tried it out in PSE2…and worked like a charm. Note the size of the brush grows when you harden it. It’s all the feathering filling in.

Terri
KW
Kyle_White
Jun 13, 2004
‘s Okay Terri!

You gave me more stuff for my PSE2 Tips ‘n’ Hints file!!

Nifty stuff!

Kyle

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections