Unable to continue because of a hardware or system error… Sorry but this error is unrecoverable.

ME
Posted By
Monte_Evans
Feb 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using CS2 and occasionally receive the following message when starting up (both at home and at my work computer):

Unable to continue because of a hardware or system error. Sorry but this error is unrecoverable.

Usually Photoshop will start up the second time, but tonight it took three tries. I found a thread on the forum that talked about PS 6.0, but it was a dead link.

Is there anything I can do?

Monte Evans

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

L
LenHewitt
Feb 7, 2007
First thing to try is deleting your Photoshop preferences as per the Forum FAQs
ME
Monte_Evans
Feb 7, 2007
I should have mentioned it before. I have trashed my preferences. Maybe they have become corrupt again, because this problem does not occur every time at all – only occasionally – but on both of my computers.

I really didn’t think it was my prefs since I could usually just restart Photoshop and it would start up correctly the next time – without trashing the prefs.
BD
Brent_DeGraaf
Feb 7, 2007
Are you by any chance using the same antivirus program both at home and at work? If so, which one?
H
Ho
Feb 7, 2007
Have you installed any of the Registry tweaks (optional extensions) from the Goodies folder?
ME
Monte_Evans
Feb 8, 2007
I am using McAfee antivirus software on both machines.

I have not installed any "Registry tweaks"

Monte
DR
Danny_Raphael
Feb 8, 2007
When I get this error message (under PS 7) it’s PS’s way of saying, "Out of RAM."

Options that resolve this for me:
* Shutdown other applicaitons, e.g., Corel Painter
* Use Task Manager to spot rogue processes that have gone amuck, for example the other day I found an Internet Explorer session chewing up 250+ Kb, which is totally out of whack. Using Task Manager to delete such a process makes PS happy again. No reboot needed.
* Reboot. Sometimes memory leaks chew up RAM which cannot be freed by stopping tasks or closing applications.

Hope this helps…

~Danny~
BT
Brandi_Trout
Feb 10, 2007
after downloading the trial for cs2, and unzipping.. i put in my serial number to get past and start the installation process.. it starts that process but stops by tellin me i do not have access to Data1.cab … does anybody know what this means, or how I can get around it??
C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 10, 2007
or how I can get around it??

By starting a unique thread on the subject.

Hijacking someone else’s unrelated thread spoils the flow of information on the original topic and does your question no favours either.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections