LB
Posted By
lorrie_baudouin
Jun 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m receiving the following error message whenever I try to save a photo to the web,

"Could not complete this operation because an assertion has failed".

Originally I received this message when proofing the picture size, however, could override by hitting okay. I’m no longer able to override and cannot save the picture in the format. A regular save does work.

I uninstalled and then reinstalled the program. That did not solve the problem. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Lorrie

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 12, 2004
Try deleting SFW prefs.
Hold down Ctrl+Alt, do Save For Web.

M
LB
lorrie_baudouin
Jun 12, 2004
That’s a start to the fix … thank you. Now, when I press the ctrl/alt key and save to web, it lets me in, displays the pictures correctly and saves the file. On the next save, however, it gives me the error message by allows me to override. Is there something else that I also need to fix???

Thank you so much for getting this far and appreciate any knowledge you have on the rest of the action I need to take. I did uninstall the entire package, deleted everything photoshop and started fresh. Still had the problem.

Lorrie
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 12, 2004
Well, try deleting ALL Elements pref, then.

— Restart Photoshop Elements and immediately press Ctrl+Shift+Alt (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) until you receive the message "Delete the Photoshop Elements Settings File?" Click Yes.

(gotta be QUICK)
or

— Delete the Adobe Photoshop Elements [2.0] Prefs.psp file in the Windows/Application Data/Adobe/Photoshop Elements [2.0] Prefs folder. Mac OS, Drag the Photoshop Elements 2.0 Prefs file from the Users: [user name]: Library: Preferences: Photoshop Elements 2.0 Prefs folder to the Trash.
LB
lorrie_baudouin
Jun 12, 2004
Thanks for the additional information. I accomplished the first step and received the message to to delete; to which I answered yes.

When I went to save a file, however, received the same message that an assertion had failed. I did go on to your second step, however, do not appear to have windows/application data file. (Also checked for hidden files). I did a system search on prefs.psp, and found my pref files are under documents and settings/owner. I deleted the prefs folder. Then restarted photoshop, and just like the first step, still have the problem.

I must say, however, at least I can save pictures to the web again, even though there is an additional step involved in clearing the prefs, or accepting okay in response to the error message, so I can at least get my pictures posted. (I’m an artist and post pictures of work in progress daily).

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Lorrie
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 12, 2004
Lorrie

Are you ready for the big times now? Try this.

Close all Adobe programs and run the regedit (Be careful, any wrong change may damage your windows System).

Just delete ‘HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Save For Web 3.0’

PLEASE NOTE: playing with the registry can be dangerous. To be fully safe, back up your registry before running regedit.

Grant
LB
lorrie_baudouin
Jun 12, 2004
Wow … that did it. Thank both of you very very much. I’m back to regular operating and will bookmark this in case I need it again !!!

Lorrie
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 12, 2004
Good goin, Grant !

I don’t believe I’ve seen that particular fix before.

I have Save For Web 3.0, 2.0, and 1.0 sections.

Guess it’s from various iterations of Photoshop and Elements.

Sounds like that would have done it from the gitgo, Lorrie.

M
LB
lorrie_baudouin
Jun 12, 2004
Not meaning to become a pest with this …. but another related question.

Is there a way to get the ‘Save For Web’ file to stay gone???

Here’s what I found. I deleted the file, then reopened Photoshop and saving to web worked well. But, problem with assertion error message returned upon saving the second picture. So, went back into regedit, and the Save for Web file returned. Repeated this process 4 times …. the Save for Web file consistently returns after hitting the Save For Web file for a second picture.

Ever heard of this? Appreciate your ongoing guidance … I really do.

Lorrie
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 12, 2004
Lorrie
You did have Elements turned off when you did this?

The ‘HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Save For Web 3.0’ should return but it should be clear of any error. There is something that is causing this reoccurring problem. It can be caused by only two things that I am aware of" One is a corrupt file. if the file is not properly truncated it will cause this error and you have to clear it the way you are doing. The other thing that can trigger this error is if you are working in CMYK and try to use an optimization. Of course elements doesn’t support CMYK so I doubt if it is that. Is there anything unusual about your file?

I have read but can’t confirm that this problem can be triggered by using things like, Cool Web Search Shredder, spybots and registry cleaners. If this is the case it may mean a damaged registry. When you uninstalled it did you use windows installer? Just things to think of.

Grant

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections