JT
Posted By
Julia_Toos
Jun 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
this seems so basic but I can’t seem to find the answer. I just upgraded my Mac to OSX 10.3 and my Epson Perfection 2450 photo scanner stopped working. I deleted all related software including the TWAIN plugin for elements and then reinstalled the latest version of Epson’s drivers and software for OSX 10.3. The only problem is it’s been years since I did this process and I can’t remember where the TWAIn plugin comes from that is supposed to go in the Elements plugins folder.

Where do I get it from?

Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 11, 2004
Your Epson install should have put the correct TWAIN driver into correct place, probably somewhere in System Folder structure.

In Windows, goes in a subfolder under /windows OS main folder.

I suppose there’s a chance you might have to reinstall Elements for it to find the Twain interface, although it shouldn’t generally be necessary, as should have put it in same place it was previously.

I’m sure some Tosh gurus will respond also..

(additional thought: your current Epson software supported under 10.3? Need update?

M
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 11, 2004
Julia,

Did you upgrade from OS9? … if so it is likely that you need a new driver for you scanner. Go the the Epson site and you should find it there … if your scanner is not supported then try Vuscan … that works for quite a few of the Epson scanners.

Wendy
JT
Julia_Toos
Jun 12, 2004
I was upgrading from 10.2 to 10.3. The scanner was working fine in 10.2. It looks like Epson has separate versions of their software for 10.2 and 10.3 so I installed the appropriate version. I did a search for "TWAIN" just to check if it’s in the wrong place but didn’t find anything.

So, reinstall Elements you say? I’ll see if anyone else comes up with something today and then try that.

Thanks
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 12, 2004
Julia,

Let me get this right … you have downloaded the new scanner software for 10.3 and installed it … but you still can’t use your scanner to import to the Mac.

I don’t use Elements for my scanner as Elements doesn’t recognise mine … I use the scanner software to import them into a desktop folder and then simply use Elements to adjust the images. Have you tried that?

The Twain driver in Elements is at Adobe Photoshop Elements 2>Plug Ins>ImportExport>Twain

Wendy
JT
Julia_Toos
Jun 12, 2004
I can use the scanner, just not within Elements which I was able to do up until this uninstall/reinstall procedure. The plug in isn’t actually in the correct folder so I’m trying to figure out where it comes from to put it in there
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 12, 2004
Julia,

The Twain plug in within Elements is at Adobe Photoshop Elements 2>Plug Ins>ImportExport>Twain

Wendy
MM
Monica_Marquez
Jun 12, 2004
Julia,
Go to Epson site, find your scanner, then drivers and downloads. The Twain driver is there for download for OS 10.3. I had to do it for Jaguar & worked like a charm, We always use twain with our scanner. Hope this helps
Monica
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 12, 2004
Julia,

As I understand it the way OS X works is that the TWAIN plug-in you found (and deleted) in PSE’s plug-ins folder and which is actually part of the PSE program itself, is used to access TWAIN drivers that are installed in OS X’s Library>Image Capture>TWAIN Data Source. I’d try reinstalling Elements. I think when you deleted the TWAIN plug-in for Elements you deleted the software that allows you to access Epson TWAN 5.75. I use an older Epson scanner but the same TWAIN driver as you and it works just fine for me in 10.3.

So, your scanner software should actually be installed into OS X’s Library>Image Capture>TWAIN Data Source and not in the PSE plug-ins folder (I think). Do a search from the Finder using the term "Epson". If you find the file Epson TWAIN 5.ds or something like that in the aforementioned folder, it’s installed correctly and I bet if you re installed PSE (to get the TWAIN plug-in back into the Plug-in’s folder) you could use your scanner again.

If you have to reinstall your scanner software try this (from the Epson suppor page for your scanner):

1. First uninstall the driver by opening the file menu and clicking on Find. Use the following keywords to find the scanner files that need to be removed: TWAIN, USB Scanner, 2450 Photo Installer, Epson Perfection 2450 Photo. Drag these files into the Trash and empty the trash.
2. Disconnect the scanner.
3. Open the software installer you downloaded from Epson.
4. Double-click the EPSON icon.
5. On the Install EPSON TWAIN screen, click Next.
6. On the TWAIN Installer screen, make sure Easy Install is selected for the default installation, and then click Install.
7. After the installation is complete, reconnect the scanner then Restart the computer.

HTH

Joe
JT
Julia_Toos
Jun 12, 2004
Joe,

Yes, I seem to have all the Epson parts in the right places. I went through that painful uninstall process and wasn’t sure whether I should delete the TWAIN plugin in for Elements too, but I did anyway to be thorough.

So, at this point the consensus seems to be reinstall Elements. Sigh.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 12, 2004
That’s what I’d do. If you deleted the TWAIN plugin you deleted the PhotoShop software required for accessing TWAIN devices. My guess is, that’s the missing link.

Good Luck,

Joe

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections