SP
Posted By
Shane_Pedersen
Feb 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have always noticed a difference between the saturation, contrast etc. between the way an image appears in Zoom Browser and Photoshop CS2, and while it was annoying and mystifying I didn’t worry about it. But now I’ve realised it’s just part of a bigger problem.
If I shoot the same subject at minimum and maximum saturation, they look completely different in ZB, as you’d expect, but when I view them in Adobe Bridge or CS2 they look the same and quite dull. So therefore any changes I make to the Picture Style settings in the camera aren’t translated to Photoshop. This is before any coversion is done. Also, it doesn’t matter if the camera is set to sRGB or adobeRGB. Can someone please help?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 4, 2007
Photoshop ships with "Auto Correct" as the ACR default. Sheer madness for a professional editing application if you ask me!

Bridge references ACR’s default settings as it generates its thumbnails and previews.

Open ACR. unset Auto Correct" for each of the settings (Ctrl+U will do this all in one click) then save this as your new default settings in the fly-out menu using the little right-facing arrow.

Now when Bridge opens new thumbnails they will be shown "as shot".

To display all your existing files correctly select "Purge Cache" from the Bridge menu.

Hope this helps.

Chris.
SP
Shane_Pedersen
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks Chris but doing that doesn’t seem to have made any difference. One thing I did notice is that when Bridge is building it’s thumbnails, they appear correctly for a second before change to all look the same. And also, if it was applying a uniform correction to all images you should still be able to tell the difference between shots taken at min and max saturation. It’s weird!!
C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 4, 2007
doesn’t seem to have made any difference

Did you "Save New Camera Raw Defaults" from the fly-out menu (next to "Settings") after unchecking all the "Auto" boxes?

when Bridge is building it’s thumbnails, they appear correctly for a second before change to all look the same

That is normal behavior. But it also indicates that when Bridge references the Camera Raw settings it is still finding the default to be "Auto". Either that or you didn’t Purge the Cache.

if it was applying a uniform correction to all images you should still be able to tell the difference between shots taken at min and max saturation

No. In its "Auto Correct" mode. ACR will apply "Auto" to each of the presets: Exposure, Shadows, Brightness and Contrast. This will tend to make two shots of the same subject look the same, and will most likely negate, or at least minimize, the difference in Saturation levels too.

Whether on cameras or image processing software, the word "Auto" is a misnomer. It should really read "Automatically make images look bland".

No self-respecting photographer should ever let a silicone chip decide what his images should look like. It would be like Monet, Constable and Van Goch "painting by numbers"
SP
Shane_Pedersen
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks again Chris. Doing what you suggest does change the look of both the images in Bridge and PS but the min and max saturation shots still look the same as each other. It is very annoying. Can you try this experiment yourself and let me know the result? Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections