Cannot ‘Print Screen’ with Windows Media Player 11 open?

SM
Posted By
Steve_McKEogh
Feb 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Howdy,

Anyone else have this problem, and more importantly, anyone have any ideas how to fix it?

For example, if I were to:

1. Boot up Photoshop (CS3 in this case, but same happened with CS2), THEN boot up Windows Media Player 11 I can press ‘Print Screen’ as many times as I want and it will not paste that screen grab into Photoshop?

2. But on the otherhad, if I do exactly the same above BUT boot Media Player up BEFORE Photoshop I have no problems?

I need to point out here that when I say ‘Print Screen’ I don’t mean print what Media Player shows, I mean I cannot ‘Print Screen’ ANYTHING, with media player minimised or not?

I’m running Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit, can’t say if it done the same in XP cos I used iTunes then. I don’t use iTunes on Vista atm because the latest iTunes wont minimise to the start menu yet.

Anyone else experienced this? And is there a fix? I use Print Screen alot for my work.

Any help appreciated!

Steve M

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 3, 2007
This does not seem to be a Photoshop problem to me. What about the Clipboard Viewer? Do you see the screen grab in it?

As I’ve said before, using Photoshop (or anything) in Vista is probably a crazy idea at this point.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Feb 3, 2007
Windows Media Player does funky things with the Print Screen function in order to protect DRM’ed content from copying. I suspect this could affect Print Screen generally while WMP is running, not just when it’s visible on-screen. For some versions of WMP you can reenable Print Screen by going into WMP’s options and turning Hardware Acceleration down to 0 temporarily, or by turning off the display of overlays. You might try this and see if it helps.
AC
Art Campbell
Feb 3, 2007
I haven’t checked WMP lately, but many video players use-other-than-Windows methods to write the screen. If you need to take a screen snap, you might try SnagIt or a similar screen snap utility; SnagIt has a special mode (or bank of settings) that allow it to capture accurately.

Art
M
Mousewrites
Feb 3, 2007
I’m not sure about Vista, but I used to get a similar problem in XP. Turn your hardware acceleration to NONE and try to capture. That’s what fixed it for me.
SM
Steve_McKEogh
Feb 3, 2007
Hi,

I neglected to mention above that this is deffo a issue between Photoshop and WMP, cos I can paste what I see into Word for example regardless of what order I booted up the programs.

I searched and searched for the overlay option, but it dones’t appear to be in WMP11, nor does the hardware acceleration option? Anyone know where it is in WMP11?

I thought it would be a copyright thing, but if thats the case why can I paste into other programs, and also why does it work if I boot WMP up first?

Weird problem… but Id like to know where this overlay option is in WMP, cos thats been mentoned several times. Anyone know?

thanks for the help so far!

Steve M
M
Mousewrites
Feb 3, 2007
Not sure about Overlay, but the hardware acceleration is a windows OS setting. Mine is in Display>advanced, but I’m not sure where it is in Vista…

Hmmm, but you can paste into word? Odd. I’m not sure what the issue is, other than the clipboard not being imported. Only thing I can think of is that PS doesn’t have access to enough of ‘non ps allocated memory’ to import the clipboard.

PS takes up a certain percent of the available memory… so that maybe if you start PS, and it takes 75% (for instance) of the available memory… and then you start WMP, and it takes up a fixed amount (say, 20 megs) of that last 25% of the memory… then PS somehow doesn’t have enough os memory left to import the clipboard. IE, if you have 100 megs of ram (just an example), PS takes 75 of them, WMP takes 20 more, and then PS only has 5 meg of ‘free’ memory to switch between to get the screen cap.

But if you do it the other way, (WMP first, then PS) WMP would take the first 20 megs, and then PS would take 75% of the REMAINING 80… leaving 20 megs behind for the transfer.

Now, I know you’re using a lot more ram than 100, but my math isn’t awesome, so I used an easy number for me…

You could try turning down PS’s memory allocation to something like 40%, just to test…

Just a theory.
SM
Steve_McKEogh
Feb 3, 2007
Hmm I like your thinking Mousewrites, I’ll give it a whirl in a bit.

I’ll let you know if it works!

Cheers for that!

p.s. Yep I have more than 100mb of RAM 🙂
SM
Steve_McKEogh
Feb 3, 2007
Nope doesn’t work.

I tried 10% and 90% and they both don’t work. Also tried changing my Scratch Disks around and still no success.

Hurry up Apple and release a "Start Menuable Vista iTunes" then I can go back to iTunes!.. Although iTunes is pig ugly compared to WMP11 IMO.

If you have any other ideas it will be appreciated!
AS
Andy_Staff
Jul 9, 2007
Hi everybody,

I’m having the same problem too; a first screenshot with copy paste is possible, but after that it won’t do anymore.

Did anybody find a solution to that so far?
SM
Steve_McKEogh
Jul 9, 2007
Yeah, use iTunes!

I gave up with it, but tbh I havent tried it for a long time now cos I dont use WMP anymore. The problem never occurs with iTunes!
AS
Andy_Staff
Jul 12, 2007
Uhh, now that’s funny… I will have to retry that, but : I am working in PS, with Media Player running, and copy/paste does not work. I got the the MP window, and stop the song that’s currently playing. And now, abracadabra, I can copy and paste…

Steve, do you still have MP, and could you try to reproduce that?
B
Buko
Jul 12, 2007
You guys could all switch to Macs. B)

<ducking>
AS
Andy_Staff
Jul 12, 2007
Run, Buko, run ! 😛
BD
Brett Dalton
Jul 15, 2007
Geez and I get shit for mentioning PC’s in the Mac forum…

At least it’s not some arcane key combo to screen cap, what was it again? apple + shift + 4 + leftmouse click…. oh wait the mouse only has one button ! um ok so and an alt key in there as well and…… hehehehe.

BRETT
B
Buko
Jul 15, 2007

B)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections