Posted By
lesthurmond
Jun 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello-
I’m working on a very old B&W photo that has variances of brightness among individuals in the photo. If I adjust most of the contrast and brightness, it makes a few areas mostly too dark. Isn’t there a way to define a smaller area so that just that area gets changed? And outside of improving contrast\brightness\fixing all tears\blemishes\putting in on new top photo paper – Is there any other way to improve this photo anymore?

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DS
Dick_Smith
Jun 7, 2004
Les,

You can always make a selection using any of the selection tools and adjust brightness/contrast of just the selection.

As to your other point, it would be difficult to say without seeing the image.

Dick
MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 7, 2004
Les, to change only certain areas of the photo, simply use the various selection tools to select just those areas before applying the adjustments. The Lasso tool is probably the easiest to roughly select an area. After making the selection I suggest you apply a small amount of feathering so as to smooth out the transition between the selected and non-selected areas. You might also want to make the adjustments on a separate layer, so that if you don’t like the results you can just delete that layer and start again.

As to improving the photo in general, there are a zillion books and web sites on this topic as well as lots of discussion in this forum.

Mark
L
lesthurmond
Jun 8, 2004
Dick & Mark-
Many thanks! This is an old WWII Navy photo I’m working on for a very deserving friend who served on the Missouri. There are about 15 to 20 medical crewmen in the photo. It was in pretty bad shape, but I’ve very carefully taken out most all of the tears, wrinkles, etc. using the clone stamp. I’ve been very careful not to change anything – If I couldn’t make it better. I’m still trying to contact some of his old mates, but so far no replies. You guys have helped a lot.

Thanks Again,

Les
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 8, 2004
Les,

If you need any help with it just ask ….

Wendy
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Jun 8, 2004
Another approach to use a levels adjustment layer for each different area you need to work with. Fill the associated mask with black and then paint in white to reveal the effect on the area you want.
Bob Warren
L
lesthurmond
Jun 8, 2004
Thanks so much for the offer, Wendy! If I did let you take a look at it, how would I sent to you over the web? I scanned it in as a TIF format, because I wanted to get the very best image possible. The present Dimensions for it: 7020 X 5100 Size: 34.1 MB. I think that when I go into my HP Photo & Imaging App., I think it asks me if I want to re-size it, in order to be able to send it – or something to that affect. Also, would you want both versions – The very "bare bones" one and the one I’ve been working also – To see if what I’ve done is OK. Anyway, if your willing – then I’m ready when you are!

Regards,

Les
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 9, 2004
Les,

You would need to resize it down to maybe 800K and sending both would probably be best but on separate emails as I don’t have broadband.

Just a thought do you have a website you could post it?

Wendy
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jun 10, 2004
Les….

Just following on from the other good advice.

Don’t work on the original, make a copy and start with that.

Make selections with the Lasso tool and use a feather of 2-3px.

Once you make the selection add a levels adjustment layer. That way the changes only affect the selection.

Use the Info pallete to compare shadow/highlight values of the various parts of the image. It may help to match the selection

You can clean up the edges between the selections by going to the appropriate adjustment layer and using a soft brush and painting black or white over the edges of the selected area

A better tool, sometimes, is to use curves adjustment which is not in the basic Elements package. It allows more points on the tonal range to be adjusted. I think you can add curves to Elements if you have the Hidden Power of Elements add on.

There are other things that can be done and it depends on how bad the image is.

If you need any further help just ask

Hope this helps

Colin
LB
Les_B._Thurmond
Jun 10, 2004
Wendy, Dick, Mark, Bob, & Colin-

I have to name you all – THANKS! This forum is by far the best that I have encountered – especially compared to most of the music forums I go to – the people here are genuine and caring. I’ve printed out all of your tips, and will definitely use them. And Colin, that’s a confirmation about my getting "Hidden Powers". I’ve got a lot to learned, but have learned a lot. One thing that I do is exclusively rely upon the clone stamp so much – but it’s so useful and powerful. Nevertheless, I’ve got to throw myself into using the brushes and painting with colors. Anyway, just had to thank you all.

Regards,

Les

P.S. Forgot to mention layers! (A Biggie)
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jun 10, 2004
Les….

Layers are great. Don’t forget to use them for your cloning as well.

If you get really serious about restoring pictures ( which is more fun than any other puzzle I’ve come across) read Katrin Eismann’s book on Restoration and renovation.

More info here…

<http://www.digitalretouch.org/>

Good luck and have fun

Colin
LB
Les_B._Thurmond
Jun 10, 2004
Wendy-
I just subscribed to MSN Groups and uploaded those photos two Navy photos. Only thing is, the quality seems to be very lacking compared to what they are in Elements. Anyway, if you want like, you can go to <
The name of the album is "Burtron’s Pic’s". All that said – Don’t know if the quality is a very good source!

Regards
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 10, 2004
Hi Les,

I can’t get to see them … I have sent you an email

Wendy
LB
Les_B._Thurmond
Jun 12, 2004
Hello-
I’m still continuing to work on this old photo we have been discussing. I finally tried the Lasso tool, and let me tell you – your suggestions have not been in vain! It’s also a fantanstic tool. And it’s fun. I haven’t quite been able to use the feathering, or the masking with B&W, Bob – But I will soon. What I’m doing now – After implementing the Lasso (Since I can’t do the feathering yet) is utilize the Cone stamp to fill in where the rope was. Anyway – As you know, there’s no substitute for good old diving in and trial & error learning. Thanks again Wendy for your kind gesture.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 13, 2004
Les,

I have just sent you an email … please let me know if it arrives OK.

To feather whilst using the lasso try this:

Select the lasso … now look at the top of the screen and you will see a box which says feather. Put say 15 in that box and make your selection. Do your adjustments and you will see that instead of there being a hard edge to the changes you have made that it is now blended in.

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 13, 2004
Les,

Have now sent a couple of emails to you … just in case none of them arrive I will post part of it here also.

What it was about was that basically the photograph you sent was far too small to get a good result from … it was only 48K. So do you think that you could send it again for me.

The best way to do it is not to re-scan but to take the first scan you did (the very large one) and resize it in Elements. Not sure if you know how to do that so here goes:

Just do File>Save As> Then give it a new name and on the part where it says format go to the JPEG option and then click OK. It will go to new screen (Jpeg Options) and at the bottom you will see the size of the file … adjust the slider and you will see the file size change. So adjust the slider until the file size is about 800K …. or to the maximum if is below 800K.

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 14, 2004
Les,

Still not sure if my emails to you are getting through ….. Did you get my email saying that it had arrived OK …

Due to some quirk in the system I now seem to have have 9 copies …. 🙂 🙂

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 14, 2004
Les,

Photograph is on its way back to you … let me know if it arrives OK

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 15, 2004
Les,

Has the photograph arrived OK?

Wendy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections