What is the point of "Save As Copy"?…Or STOP adding "copy" to my file!!

NR
Posted By
Nick_R_Jones
Jan 31, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want Photoshop CS2 to stop adding "copy" to the end of my files. How can I do this? What is the point of this to begin with? And how can I turn that off (if even possible)? Appreciate any help, thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Bernie
Jan 31, 2007
How can I do this?

Choose a file format that supports all the options (layers, channels etc…) included in your file
NR
Nick_R_Jones
Jan 31, 2007
Hmm…that was no help but thanks. If I didn’t try to save as an .eps or a .jpeg ever then I wouldn’t have this problem. Anybody have anything useful?
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 31, 2007
That was a bit rude.

Read the answer again and try to understand it.

If you can’t, I will come back and explain it in terms an infant would comprehend.
NR
Nick_R_Jones
Jan 31, 2007
It was a non-answer John. I thought the poster was being a smart a** towards me. They didn’t answer my question, they simply presented a scenario where the problem I’m encountering will obviously never happen. That’s like saying: Q: How do I extinguish a fire in my kitchen? A: Just don’t use your kitchen. So let me rephrase my question so both infants and geriatrics like yourself can comprehend.

When I have a layered file, and I want to save it as a JPEG, EPS, etc (flattened), I do not want Photoshop to auto-append the word "copy" to it. I would like to turn this off if possible. Is this possible?
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 31, 2007
No.

Bob
NR
Nick_R_Jones
Jan 31, 2007
thanks man, all I needed to know.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 31, 2007
isn’t there something like if you hold alt while clicking save as it won’t appear, or is that now will appear?
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 31, 2007
Holding down alt will automatically select copy and add it to the file name.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 1, 2007
well there you go. don’t do that! 😛 🙂
RB
Robert_Barnett
Feb 1, 2007
You don’t have a choice. It is so all of the people with the same intelligence of George Bush don’t accidentally over-write a file and then come whining to Adobe about it. If there were so many stupid people things like this wouldn’t be needed, but alas…

Robert

Do not assume that because I didn’t reply to your comments that you are correct or that I am wrong or that I am correct and your are wrong. You can assume that you bore me!
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 1, 2007
you know robert, that sig is really getting annoying. 😉
B
Bernie
Feb 1, 2007
It was a non-answer John. I thought the poster was being a smart a** towards me

I wasn’t, and I did not give you a non-answer. If the solution I offered (choose a file format that supports the features of your file) was unsatisfactory, then the conclusion from my statement (you need to flatten/remove alpha channels/whatever) is SO obvious, I did not feel the need to elaborate.

If you don’t want to make an effort, don’t berate me for doing the same.

I believe I’m known for short (but, I like to think, useful) answers around here
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 1, 2007
Assume: ass…….
RB
Robert_Barnett
Feb 1, 2007
Good morning Dave. I have turned the signature off Dave. Just for your Dave!

Robert
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 1, 2007
Nice
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 2, 2007
have turned the signature off Dave. Just for your Dave!

aw, boy-o! you da man robert! 🙂
DT
dave_the_artist
Mar 12, 2007
when will Adobe fix this bug:
Photoshop CS2 always saves as copy for png files.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Mar 12, 2007
Does it do it even if you save to a different folder? Do you have extensions hidden or not?

I remember 6 used to do this. I wrote an Applescript to get around it, but of course, that only works on Mac. <http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/stripper.html>
DT
dave_the_artist
Mar 12, 2007
Hey, good tip. It doesn’t do it when I save to a different folder.

I’m using windows cs2

But still, what a pain. I frequently keep files together so I don’t have to folder switch all the time.

I wish this was just an option:
[x] do not save as copy automatically

It really is a pain to always have to delete the "copy" part of the file name – eventhough the extension is different. ie. I’m not going to overwrite the psd file anyway.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Mar 12, 2007
I would put the folder you are saving to inside the one you are opening from. That way you won’t lose track. Then when you’re done with a bunch just drag them into the containing folder.
DT
dave_the_artist
Mar 12, 2007
I’ll try that. Still a pain, but until they fix/change I will have to work around.

Thanks for the tips Ed!
DT
dave_the_artist
Mar 14, 2007
I found a great solution to this problem:

Don’t upgrade.

CS doesn’t do this.
CD
Carlo_Didier_(cdr)
Mar 14, 2007
Hmm, neither CS2 nor CS3 beta are adding this "copy" thing on my PC. So I suppose it’s configurable. Anybody knows how or where? I can’t remember having changed this.
DT
dave_the_artist
Mar 14, 2007
when you do a save as, and you select .png, does it force you to save as copy and put copy at the end of your filename?
CD
Carlo_Didier_(cdr)
Mar 14, 2007
No. Not for any format.
DT
dave_the_artist
Mar 14, 2007
are you saving to the same directory?

if you do find out why it doesn’t do that for you, but does for many other people, let me know.
CD
Carlo_Didier_(cdr)
Mar 14, 2007
Same directory. I’ll do some systematic tests tomorrow to try to find out why it’s behaving like this.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections