Posted By
mike_barrett
Jun 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello folks,

I am using Photoshop Elements 2 and when I try to use the cloning tool it works fine for two or three stamps, then paints a part of an adjacent object which is neither selected in any way, nor is it part of the clone area I selected. When it starts to misfunction it will often change the incorrect stamped portion to a second unwanted part of adjacent object.

Anybody able to help?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 6, 2004
Go to the Option Bar and remove the checkmark from the box that says "align"
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 6, 2004
Mike,

That is how the clone tool works. Look at the top of the screen and you will see a box that says aligned.

When it is ticked: The clone tool will, after the initial sample, always stay in a relative position to the initial sample even when you stop and then start again. Check it out by sampling one point and then using the clone tool like a brush … stop and start several times and see what happens.

When it is unticked: The clone tool will start each stroke from the same point you sampled. Again try using the clone tool like a brush and stop and start several times then see what happens.

When using the clone tool it is better to frequently reset the sample point this means you don’t stray into areas that you don’t want to use. Sorry its not easy to explain but if you try it out you will see what I mean.

So there is nothing wrong with your clone tool .. it is simply the way it works … you will get used to it.

Wendy
MB
mike_barrett
Jun 7, 2004
Thanks girls, it worked just fine – but I don’t see the point of Aligned (the Help is as clear as mud on the subject – obviously written by a programmer).
DS
Dick_Smith
Jun 7, 2004
Mike,

Aligned works very well if the tonal range you are cloning doesn’t vary widely or varies in a uniform way. For instance, cloning a wire out of a sky shot works well with aligned provided the changes across the sky are uniform.

Of course, un-checking aligned and then dragging puts you right back in aligned mode.

Dick
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 7, 2004
Mike,

Say you had a photograph and a flower was on the left hand side and you wanted to put it into the middle of you photograph then using aligned means no matter how many times you stop cloning the image will start again from where you left off. So it will all line up in its new place.

Its difficult to explain but if you try it on a photograph you will see what I mean.

Wendy
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 8, 2004
Mike,
I offer another suggestion related to the clone tool. Open a new layer at the top of the stack and do the cloning on that layer. Be sure that there is a check mark in "use all layers." This maneuver allows one to refine the process with the opacity slider, etc.
Ken
MB
mike_barrett
Jun 8, 2004
Thanks Dick, Wendy and Kenneth (I just love a good workaround and yours is a gem). I tried your suggestions and of course they worked just fine, but I am still puzzled by the fact that in its default mode the clone tool changes its stamp image at will. Specifically, it picks up a part of an adjacent object (which object part varies with every two or three clicks – I am not painting by dragging). Wendy said that’s the way the tool operates and I agree, but it must be a bug not a feature, no?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections