H
Posted By
herbie747
Jan 30, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey guys – basically I need to deliver a TV channel’s onscreen bug (or DOG) to a playout centre. I have a 720 x 576 (PAL) PSD, with 1 layer (the bug, obviously) with the opacity set @ 50%….which is fine, BUT; the Playout centre need 2 x bitmap files – 1 x matte layer, and 1 x fill layer. They can’t just take a PNG or PSD, etc.

Anyone know how I can transform my alpha channel PSD file, into 2 files: a matte layer & a fill layer, both as bitmaps.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 30, 2007
When you say Bitmap, do you mean a Windows Bitmap file (.bmp)?

I really don’t know what your requirements are, but you can save out a Channel as its own document by going to Duplicate Channel in the Channels palette. To make it so it can be saved as a BMP (if that’s what you need) change Mode to Grayscale first.

If I were you I would find someone who has done this before for a local station and ask how it’s done. I doubt you’ll find many users here with that specific knowledge. Good Luck.
H
herbie747
Jan 30, 2007
Yes, a windows bitmap file. The DOG has colour elements, so converting to grayscale first isn’t an option.

Basically, all the information in a transparent file (PNG, PSD, etc) can also be represented by 2 bitmap files: a matte (key) layer, and a fill layer – I just don’t know how to get theses 2 layers!

E.G. In AVID, you can import a PSD, and then press "Step Up", and it splits it into 2 layers – fill & matte (key)!

I need to know how to do this in Photoshop!

Here’s the topic I made on the AVID forums, if it’s any help: <http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/thread/187329.aspx>
B
Bernie
Jan 30, 2007
I suspect they want one BMP with the actual image in it (in RGB mode) and a second file with just the transparency channel in it (in Greyscale mode)

(my shot in the dark, YMMV)

Sometimes the best thing to do is to ask for a sample file
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 30, 2007
This is beyond what I know, but if it works in AVID, why not use AVID? Or am I missing something?
R
RobertHJones
Jan 31, 2007
Anyone know how I can transform my alpha channel PSD file, into 2 files: a matte layer & a fill layer, both as bitmaps.

Are you sure they can’t use a TIFF with alpha channel? Some equipment will support TIFF images.

To get your two BMP files"

First BMP: Do a "save as", select BMP as the format and select Windows BMP from the options dialog.

Second BMP: I’m assuming the alpha channel is a layer mask (if not, use the channel palette). Create a new layer from the mask alpha channel by doing this: alt click on the mask, select all, copy, alt click on the mask again. Paste to create a new layer at the top containing the b&w mask. Do a "save as" just like you did for the first BMP.

That’s it. However, I’m not sure that is going to give you what you want regarding the transparency. Saving the first BMP, you’ve essentially flattened the image and filled in the transparent areas with the background color. The image is solid. Your mask is probably pure black and white, no grays. So, you’re going to get a solid Digital On-screen Graphic. I think what you will need is a 100% opacity layer for the Bug logo and then set the white area of the mask to 50% gray to get your keyed transparency. But, check with your Playout Centre first to find out if this will work that way with their equipment.
R
RobertHJones
Jan 31, 2007
I’m having second thoughts about what I told you in regards to the 50% gray. I worked with a video engineer about 10 years ago on a custom computer system that I designed. I provided a feed from my system to the studio that was captured and displayed real time superimposed over the broadcast video — similar to how they display a bug. Now that I think about it, I believe the equipment they used only keyed off pure black and white and transparency was controlled by the equipment. I’ve been retired for a while and technology has most certainly changed. I would definitely recommend talking to your contacts at the Playout Centre about what they need to get you the transparency you want.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections