SO
Posted By
Steve_O_Collin
Nov 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I thought that when you "place" an EPS image and it has a clipping path then onl;y the clipped area is placed.

I’m getting the whole image.

CS3

Steve

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RG
Rene_Garneau
Nov 20, 2008
In the Path fly out menu, choose "Clipping Path" then in the drop down menu, select the path you want to use, and you can leave the Flatness blank, then click OK.

Then in the Path palette, you’ll see the path you’re using sort of get highlighted (the font has an outline to it).

P.S.: Now, get ready, because in the next few posts, people will tell you not to use EPS, it’s a dead format, etc. 🙂
SO
Steve_O_Collin
Nov 20, 2008
That’s already done.

It’s always worked before. Is it a CS3 issue?

Steve
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 20, 2008
What is the receiving application of the EPS?

eg. Quark, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 20, 2008
Steve:

It’s just that there are better ways of doing things now that InDesign, and recent versions of QXP, can accept .psd files that contain transparency.
SO
Steve_O_Collin
Nov 20, 2008
Hi and thanks for the input.

I’l be a little more clear

This is a file I’ve used for years every year I make the clients brochure in Quark (I don’t use InDesign) and the clipping works fine. I’ve done tests on other images also and all my clipping paths are fine in Quark. I also tested using the clipping path in photoshop to make a selection and then copy it into the PSD I’m working on and that works too. (which I could do for the next step but is more involved)

I’m doing a new cover for the brochure and thought photo montage would be good. I’m sure that I’ve done this in the past. Just start creating a PSD and then "place" the needed EPS file and it come in "clipped".

Steve
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 20, 2008
The old way will still work — but the newer ways of doing things are quicker and you are not limited to hard edges.
HJ
Heather_Jones
Dec 1, 2008
Having issues with clipping paths all the sudden too.

I either get whole image or no image at all.

Trying to confirm that PS is registering the path and I can stroke the path in PS, but can’t fill it or convert it to selection. Majorly Frustrating.

I know I can use psd files and such now, but the good thing about clipping paths (that people seem to overlook) is that I don’t have to have huge layered files or many versions of the same file on my comp.

Did I mention this was frustrating?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 1, 2008
all the sudden too

These are key words to reveal a software update or upgrade has occurred. What updated on your system?
P
Phosphor
Dec 1, 2008
Do you have it set correctly in Quark? Item>Modify>Clipping.
P
PeterK.
Dec 1, 2008
I know I can use psd files and such now, but the good thing about clipping paths (that people seem to overlook) is that I don’t have to have huge layered files or many versions of the same file on my comp.

Why save many versions? You would only have to have as many versions as you want to save. Also a PSD made of one layer with the background masked out will likely compress down to a smaller file size than an EPS. Plus, you would have the option of having soft edges or gradient masks if you choose, giving you more flexibility with your design.
HJ
Heather_Jones
Dec 1, 2008
What can I say? SOMETIMES, I just need a clipping path. ;o)

Hadn’t updated anything recently and there isn’t anything new for PS according to my updater.

Using InDesign (updated today after I posted thinking it would ‘maybe’ fix the problem, but to no avail), I think the problem is within Photoshop tho—it’s like it just isn’t recognizing the path in certain applications (within PS) such as…

make path a selection: it says no pixels selected (but if I go in piece by piece and select that way it will select, but that’s time consuming on complex paths.

fill path: flat out doesn’t work. doesn’t even register that I’ve made an action (in history palette)

stroke path: works like a charm on all parts of the path

Is that the Twighlight Zone theme I hear?
HJ
Heather_Jones
Dec 1, 2008
Found this thread on InDesign forum…

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.3c05af0b>

Looks like there’s a workaround that doesn’t involve switching the format, but it’s still extra steps. :o(

Looks like a bug, a very random, pesky bug.
B
Buko
Dec 1, 2008
the best workaround is stop using clipping paths.
P
PeterK.
Dec 1, 2008
You probably have duplicate paths on top of each other or they’re in the wrong mode. Click on a path and check the options bar to see which of the four path modes is chosen. You might have to select all the paths and change them to the path mode you need.
I do believe that someone else mentioned that paths were not being recognized on placed images though, and I think this was something new in CS3. If you need to make selections off the paths or have them behave properly in other software though, you’ll still need to fix the path modes.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections