Why do CS4 always open files on main monitor ???

S
Posted By
sack
Nov 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
@@buko: i know that-but thats not the way i do my work. i just want the pictures on the second monitor !

shelbourne: i trie to do this, it doesnt work. the pictures always are opened on the main monitor.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 18, 2008
What I suggested has absolutely NOTHING to do with your second Monitor.

Please read what I wrote more carefully.

It is entirely to do with starting with all Menu items visible before you create your Customized Workspaces — about which you also wanted to know.

"Window/Workspace/Essentials" is CS4’s DEFAULT Workspace from which you should start before customizing your own.

As for your monitors, try switching the cable-connections from your video cards to your monitors.
S
sack
Nov 18, 2008
didn´t wanna know anything about the workspaces. please read what i asked more carefully. don´t wanna switch my cable-connections because i have a calibrated system, if i switch, the calibration of my work-monitor (the second) is out of order. and i think it is the same as get when i change my monitors in the "monitor control panel".
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 18, 2008
sack,

don´t wanna switch my cable-connections because i have a calibrated system, if i switch, the calibration of my work-monitor (the second) is out of order.

You’ve got to calibrate your monitors regularly anyway (daily or weekly — at least monthly). And it should not take more than several minutes per monitor.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 18, 2008
didn´t wanna know anything about the workspaces.

However, dongsoo choi did:

dongsoo choi – 2:56pm Nov 17, 08 PST (#1 of 11) Also, Why there is no way to Show All The Menu Items?

Sack:

If you typed in standard English (" I didn’t want to know …), it might be easier to understand you.

I made a suggestion which might work to solve your problem with your monitors but if you are to idle to even try it, you will have to solve this for yourself.

Or you could telephone Adobe Tech. Support.
DC
dongsoo_choi
Nov 18, 2008
Thanks for everyone who chimed in. But my case of using a file on second monitor is, I don’t want to see anything but picture. No menu bar, or palettes.
so changing a menu bar and drag the palettes over doesn’t work. It seems like Adobe somehow made this not possible. Then question comes why? It was capable until CS3.
S
sack
Nov 19, 2008
@@ dongsoo choi:
exactly ! that´s what i´m also saying.

shelbourne:
sorry but my english is not good enough for you, wir könnten uns auch auf deutsch unterhalten, vielleicht wäre das verständlicher (für mich zumindest)
R
Ram
Nov 19, 2008
Sack,

Mit mir könntest Du ruhig aut Deutsch unterhalten, obwohl ich von der verflixten Neurechtsschreibung nichts halte. 🙂
B
Buko
Nov 19, 2008
Adobe did this just to upset you you should immediately stop using their products and use something else.
S
sack
Nov 19, 2008
@@Ramón G Castañeda:

schön, endlich mal jemand der mich versteht. das problem ist einfach dass ich mit cs4 nicht arbeiten kann (möchte), wenn ich nicht die möglichkeit habe, die bilder standardmässig auf meinem zweitmonitor zu öffnen. wenn ich 500 bilder an einem tag öffne (und mehr), dann ist es lästig jedes auf den anderen monitor zu ziehen (und sicher auch nicht im sinne des entwicklers).
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 19, 2008

[Sack is presenting his dual monitor issue to Ramón. With CS4, he cannot use his second monitor for his pictures.]

Neil
R
Ram
Nov 20, 2008
Neil,

[…he cannot use his second monitor for his pictures.]

Not exactly. 😉 Of course he can use the second monitor for his images. The problem is that he wants all his image files to open on said secondary monitor by default so he doesn’t have to drag them there, otherwise he feels he can’t use CS4. He also feels this is surely not what the developer (Adobe) intended.
R
Ram
Nov 20, 2008
Sack,

Das Problem habe ich tatsächlich verstanden, und Du hast völlig recht. Etwas hat sich in CS4 geändert.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 20, 2008

[Ramón told him he understands the problem, and Sack is right. Something changed in CS4.]

Neil
S
sack
Nov 20, 2008
@@all:

exactly, thank you for commenting.
SB
Stephen_Best_in_Oz
Nov 20, 2008
You can enable Application Frame and drag this to your second monitor. You’ll be stuck with the Application Bar (unless you revert to full screen mode) and dialogs will appear at random on both monitors, but Photoshop CS4 will at least now open all new files on the second monitor. Monitor allegiance functionality was regressed with CS4 so if you want it back I suggest you open a case with Adobe support.
R
Ram
Nov 20, 2008
Stephen,

Sack is adamant that he doesn’t want to drag everything to the secondary monitor, just have all images open there by default.
SB
Stephen_Best_in_Oz
Nov 20, 2008
"Sack is adamant that he doesn’t want to drag everything to the secondary monitor, just have all images open there by default."

You only have to drag the Application Bar to the second monitor, and only once. However you’re stuck with the Application Bar whether you want it or not, unless you go into Full Screen Mode (sans Menu bar). And, as I mentioned, guessing which monitor will be used for Dialogs gets old pretty quickly.
R
Ram
Nov 20, 2008
I know all that, Stephen, and I already communicated that to Sack in a previous post in this thread.
S
sack
Nov 27, 2008
wrote this problem to adobe last week – no comment 🙁 do they ignore this?
SB
Stephen_Best_in_Oz
Nov 27, 2008
"do they ignore this?"

It’s been accepted as a bug. Either a fix will show up in the next point release or it won’t.
S
sack
Nov 27, 2008
think if they dont fix it, they wont sell a lot of photoshop cs4 (hopefully)
R
Ram
Nov 27, 2008
Sack,

They may not ignore it, but they certainly won’t acknowledge it.
B
Buko
Nov 27, 2008
if they dont fix it, they wont sell a lot of photoshop cs4

dude you gotta stop smoking crack.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 28, 2008
sack,

think if they dont fix it, they wont sell a lot of photoshop cs4 (hopefully)

I don’t agree that it would be even a minor stumbling block for Photoshop sales.

Neil
S
sack
Nov 30, 2008
nice – but why don´t they answer me?? my question was two weeks ago ??? remember a company named quark, a few years ago they did the same, ignore the customers. bad customer support. that´s just what i think about it
B
Buko
Nov 30, 2008
Sack if you made a bug report, it specifically states on that page that you will not get a reply. You may need to change your work flow slightly and make the second monitor the main monitor. Its OK you will get used to this we all have to change things in our lives.

One thing is certain, if you make that change the world will not end.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 30, 2008
sack,

Have you called tech support?

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 30, 2008
sack,

Have you called tech support? (Not just send an email.)

Neil
S
sack
Dec 1, 2008
no, i didn´t call them, just wrote a very long and well descripted mail. do they have also a german support?
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 1, 2008
sack,

Sorry, I don’t know what German support is offered. But if you have a local phone number, you might have better help than email. And ask for a supervisor if the person you first speak to isn’t helpful.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 1, 2008
sack,

Sorry, I don’t know what German support is offered. But if you have a local phone number, you might have better help. And ask for a supervisor if the person you first speak to isn’t helpful.

Neil
S
sack
Dec 1, 2008
now, i got an answer from adobe – they say:

auf der DVD des Photoshop CS4 ist ein Plugin mit enthalten, welches dieses Problem löst.

so i can buy now cs4 🙂
DC
dongsoo_choi
Dec 1, 2008
Don’t get too excited, Sack.
If I read your German posting correct, that’s lie.
yes, there are some optional plugins in the extra goodies folder, which you need to manually install. As far as I can tell, nothing related to the problem in hand.
I install all those, still no go. unless they know something I don’t so far.

Image will not open on second monitor as a default.

annoying, I just want to see my images without menu bars, palettes.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 1, 2008

[Sack’s response from Adobe says that there is a Photoshop CS4 plug-in on the DVD that solves the problem.]

Neil
R
Ram
Dec 2, 2008
Sack,

now, i got an answer from adobe – they say:

auf der DVD des Photoshop CS4 ist ein Plugin mit enthalten, welches dieses Problem löst.

Hoffentlich haben diese Leute damit nicht das DisallowOpenGLWindows.plugin gemeint. :/
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 2, 2008

[Ramón’s response is hopefully these people did not mean the DisallowOpenGLWindows.plugin.]

Neil
R
Ram
Dec 2, 2008
Neil,

You should start charging Adobe for translation work. 🙂

$0.19 per word would be a cut-throat volume discount rate. 😉
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 2, 2008
Hey, stop waving my fees about, or others will want a piece of the action! <lol>

Neil
MD
Mike_Duran
Dec 4, 2008
Same problem here, I hate they did this. I don’t understand why a photo will not open on my secondary monitor.
M
momoweb
Dec 7, 2008
same here as well. that’s a very annoying inconvenience. especially if i open small pics they are hidden behind my menus and i need to literally dig around to find the window.
please fix that asap.

thanks
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 7, 2008
This is beyond an "inconvenience". It needs to be addressed.

Swapping the Menu Bar in Apple is not an option for some of us. Consider this: I own a pair of monitors….where one is a 24" monitor containing all the palettes, Apple menu bar and Apple Dock, placed directly in front of the keyboard. Besides Photoshop, all kinds of other application are used open in this monitor. The 30" is off to the left and is used strictly for images. No menu bar or dock eating real estate.

For me, this a major annoyance. Particularly if I have to open dozens of images that have be edited working on a large UI project.
F
Freeagent
Dec 8, 2008
FYI this happens (or rather, doesn’t happen) on Windows too. No way to get the image to open on the other monitor, as it could in CS3.

No response from any of the engineers to this, but I’m sure it’s been noted.
L
Lakiopaalu
Dec 9, 2008
Yeah, it’s an issue on the Widows side too – I posted at first to Ps.Windows area by mistake, ’cause found that thread though the search engine.

This is a step backwards for Photoshop – the same thing happened a few versions ago to InDesign.

Illustrator CS3 is able to open windows to the same location where they were when closed – InDy CS3 is not.
Both of then open new & previously un-opened (ones gotten from an another machine) under the menubar (id est, the wrong monitor for me)

Photoshop was, in the previous versions, able to open even the new (blank) documents on the "image" monitor – no longer 🙁

Hope that the programmers will look into this, and include a fix into the updates…

I found a way around it, sort of…

In Preferences –> Interface, click Open Documents as Tabs

Open a new image ("placeholder"), drag it to the right monitor, keep it open as long as long you have Photoshop open.
Now every document you open, opens into the same space, and can be dragged to individual windows. Not perfect, but at least I don’t have to drag them from underneath the palettes.

…. to individual windows because then I can shift through them with [ command < ] (the Mac shortcut for "Move focus to next window in active application" – was default in MacOS X before Leopard and can still be taken into use from SystemPreferences)
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 11, 2008
"I found a way around it, sort of…"

Appreciate the quest for a workaround….but this is still a miserable time wasting solution to an incredibly bad problem.

The whole point of using multiple monitors (for me and thousands of others) is to keep the images away from PS’s palettes. This bug (and it is a bug) is absolutely Byzantine. Opening files in AI CS4 don’t do this and neither did any previous version of Photoshop as far back as PS3.
I guarantee that anyone who designs GUI interfaces for a living will find this little gem a showstopper.
F
Freeagent
Dec 11, 2008
Agreed. Bug – or it just slipped their minds in the commotion of the new tabbed workspace. Which amounts to the same thing.

keep the images away from PS’s palettes.

Not only that, but on a clean monitor away from all the rest of Photoshop as well.
R
Ram
Dec 11, 2008
Make sure you submit a bug report form.
S
sack
Dec 12, 2008
" Open Documents as Tabs " is a windows-like shit. what´s the matter with the adobe developers, are they stones?
which pro does work with this f…..g tab-shit?
B
Buko
Dec 12, 2008
Actually I do. I’ve been working with tabs for about 8 months now. tabs is pretty cool very similar to tabbed browsing. I can jump between images very quickly. I’m not too thrilled with with the Application window but the nice thing about both of those features is you can turn them off.

Now that’s a smart developer.

sack you seem to have a bad attitude if you don’t like CS4 don’t use it. If its less than 30 days since you bought it you can return it.
F
Freeagent
Dec 12, 2008
Make sure you submit a bug report form

I’ll do that.
S
sack
Dec 12, 2008
I want to use photoshop, but i hate this wrong monitor opening thing !
B
Buko
Dec 12, 2008
The quick fix until Adobe does something is to designate your second monitor as your primary monitor. But it seems that you would rather not work than do this.
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 12, 2008
While it may be a "quick fix" for some, it is not for others. Setting up the position of the main monitor is an important part of daily workflow. Where that monitor is positioned goes beyond working with Photoshop alone. As I stated earlier, if you happen to have monitors that are quite different in size (like a 24" and 30") it makes this "solution" an absolute misery. Some of us use the smaller monitors as the "main" set up in the optimal working position for palette duty, etc.

As to tabbing, again, I bring up UI development. It is quite common to update a huge number of "part" files at once. Being able to open them all at once, so you can actually view them on screen, makes work flow a snap. Tabbing 20-50 files at once is a nightmare. Particularly because of the common practice of "coded" UI part naming conventions.

As far as I’m concerned, a quicker fix is to open them up in PS CS3. The present situation really is a step backwards for multi-monitor use.

It needs to be addressed.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 12, 2008
Tabbing 20-50 files at once is a nightmare.

So open them in separate windows for heavens sake!

Or, when you don’t need that many open at once, investigate the new N-up option.

Also if I want to view and adjust a large number of files at the same time, I do it in Bridge CS4-hosted ACR 5.2 which can edit RAW, Tiffs and JPEGs in batches of several hundreds.
B
Buko
Dec 12, 2008
So open them in separate windows for heavens sake!

exactly!
S
sack
Dec 12, 2008
Frank Heller´s post is exactly right !!! couldn´t find the plugin to fix that problem. i wrote again to the adobe support.
B
Buko
Dec 12, 2008
couldn´t find the plugin to fix that problem

plugin to fix what problem?
F
Freeagent
Dec 12, 2008
Here’s the thing:

What some of us want is to open images by default on the other monitor than the one with the main application window. To me at least, it doesn’t matter so much which one it is (they’re identical) – as long as it’s away from the rest of the application. Currently that’s not possible.

Here’s a screenshot from CS3 showing how I want it – I’m on Vista, but the basic problem is the same, and this bug occurs on both platforms:

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1uXjSL7MWFifvnb5rN FE7RBxiTK11>
B
Buko
Dec 12, 2008
I understand the problem Freeagent.

I just want to know what plugin sack was talking about in post 62
S
sack
Dec 12, 2008
see post nr. 39
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 12, 2008
"So open them in separate windows for heavens sake!"

That’s the whole point….except in the specified monitor. The way it’s always worked and the way it presently works in AI CS4. What is it about this that you don’t see as a bug?

"Or, when you don’t need that many open at once, investigate the new N-up option."

Not a solution.

Also if I want to view and adjust a large number of files at the same time, I do it in Bridge CS4-hosted ACR 5.2 which can edit RAW, Tiffs and JPEGs in batches of several hundreds.

Also, not a solution. Particularly with different sized monitors. Freeagent explains this clearly. This is a huge inconvenience. There are no "workarounds" that presently match the simplicity and convenience of the original file/multi-monitor display paradigm.

This is not a welcome change.
JH
Joseph_Holmes
Dec 17, 2008
I want to weigh in with those who find this issue a major annoyance.

I want to open the image in my large, high-quality monitor, with no dock, menu, etc. That’s how I did it in CS3, that’s how I do it in Aperture, but in CS4, I’m forced to open images under my palettes and them drag them (or the tabbed window) onto the main monitor.

This should be fixed in an update.

For now, my solution is to turn on the Application Frame, drag it to my second monitor, move the palettes and bars to the first monitor and arrange everything how I like it, then save the workspace. The only thing left on the second monitor is the bar across the top, which cannot apparently be moved to the first monitor. But it’s easy enough to hit F twice to hide everything on that monitor.

So once that’s all set up, my images open on the second monitor, which is what I want, but surrounded by the frame — and I hit F, F to get what I want.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Dec 17, 2008
The Application Frame has several practical uses… to display tabbed documents, provide useful tiling options as a drop down, and provide a uniform Windows type freeze-up for people who like that kind of thing. Fortunately they took care this time to provide preferences and options so you can turn it all off.

In most other other respects, the way CS4 deals with monitors and OSX 10.5 spaces its quite obviously a move backwards.
S
sack
Jan 23, 2009
Now i got an answer from adobe, not a good message:

"…unsere Techniker sind zu dem Ergebnis gekommen das auf dem Mac dieses Problem tatsächlich besteht und die
Entwickler zur Zeit an einer geeigneten Lösung arbeiten. Jedoch ist noch nicht klar wann diese Verfügbar ist.
Sollten Sie das Produkt von uns direkt erworben haben können Sie es in der nächsten Zeit zurückgeben,
ansonsten müssen Sie sich noch ein bischen Gedulden bis eine geeignete Lösung verfügbar ist."
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 23, 2009
"Our engineers have come to the conclusion that this problem does exist on the Mac; the developers are currently working on a suitable solution. However, it is not clear when this will be available.

If you purchased the product directly from Adobe, you can return it without delay. Otherwise you will have to be patient until a suitable solution is available."

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections