Posted By
Jim_Poor
Nov 6, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings all,
I have an interesting problem in that the actual brush strokes for just about any tool don’t match the cursor size shown on screen.

For example; if I set my copyright brush to 250 pixels, the cursor for the brush appears to be about 450-500 pixels wide. This makes one click placement of these type things pretty frustrating.

The same thing happens with the standard brush, clone, and just about any other painting tool. I’ve checked and changes all the options under preferences relating both cursors and points / pixels to no avail.

Here is a link to a screen capture of one example:

http://www.pbase.com/jimpoor/image/105219615/original.jpg

Any ideas?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
PECourtejoie
Nov 6, 2008
Even if you select "Normal Brush Tip" instead of "Fullsize Brush Tip" in Preferences>Cursors?

For precise placement, check "Show Crosshair in Brush Tip"
JP
Jim_Poor
Nov 6, 2008
Hi,

Yes, even if I select Normal Brush Tip.

The show cross-hair option is good for finding the center of a brush, but without an accurate representation of the actual brush stroke, precise placement of things like digital signatures and watermarks is difficult.

Thanks
Jim
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 6, 2008
You can get the results that you are describing if you are using a Soft brush with "Full-size Brush Tip" and with "Airbrush" selected in the Options Bar.
P
PECourtejoie
Nov 6, 2008
Have you tried resetting the painting tools, or the preferences?
JP
Jim_Poor
Nov 6, 2008
Thanks Ann,

I don’t have airbrush selected and I am using 100% hardness.

I did reset the painting tools and the preferences.

I think I’ll record a screen video of this later so folks can see exactly what is happening.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 6, 2008
Which mouse or Wacom tablet/Stylus are you using?

And have you checked for the most recent Driver from the manufacturer?

Try resetting those prefs. too.
JP
Jim_Poor
Nov 6, 2008
On my Desktop (8-core 3Ghz) I’m using a Wacom Intuos II with current drivers.

A quick check reveals that I’m also having the same issue on my Macbook Pro with no tablet attached.

I just put up a video showing settings, hardness and such for folks who like screen shots to verify settings.

It is still converting, but should be ready to view any minute:

<http://www.vimeo.com/2174426>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 6, 2008
Jim:

I don’t know why your brushes don’t work but I have just made a new Copyright Brush (from type originally set at 185 pixels) and when I use it, it fits the Brush curser exactly — whether it’s set in the brushes palette at 185 or at any other scaling.

Perhaps you should try to recreate your brushes?
JP
Jim_Poor
Nov 6, 2008
Thanks Ann,

I did that too. It can’t really be related to custom brushes because it happens with all the standard brushes too.

Are you on a Mac too?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 6, 2008
Yes, I am using a G5 and running CS4 on OSX 10.4.11.

Could it be a video card issue? Which card are you using?
SW
Scott_Weichert
Nov 6, 2008
Could be some other cursor software you have installed… obviously you’ve got something for screencasts. Have you tried booting into safe mode (hold down shift while booting)?

I can’t replicate the issue on my system – Quad 2.66 MacPro/OS10.5.5/Intuos 3
JP
Jim_Poor
Nov 7, 2008
Thanks again,

I’ll try safe mode on my main machine tomorrow.

On the Mac Book Pro, I have a GeForce 8600M GT and on the Mac Pro the RadeonX1900.

I don’t have any special cursor software and Screenflow was installed after I noticed the problem.

I’m wondering if there is some CS4 setting somewhere that I’m missing since this is going on on two separate machines. . .

Thanks again for the help.
P
Phosphor
Nov 7, 2008
I know this doesn’t speak to your question per se, Jim, but for something like your © symbol, I much prefer to apply them as a custom shape.

Size them however and whenever you want, and keep them dead-clean.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections