Posted By
Paul_Tait
Nov 6, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

I’m using Photoshop CS3 on a 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Mac running 10.5.5. I have 4 GB of RAM installed and over 400 GB of space available on the HD.

Photoshop frequently crashes when trying to place Quark eps files into a new document. It particularly seems to happen with larger files.

Could this simply be a memory problem, or is anyone aware of anything I could do to cure it?

Many thanks for any help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 6, 2008
Paul,

It could be a problem with the actual construction of the XPress EPS — in my experience, there is often a lot of extraneous or improperly created data in these particular files. What happens if you place a .pdf instead?

Neil
B
Buko
Nov 6, 2008
or what if you just open the EPS?
PT
Paul_Tait
Nov 6, 2008
Thank you for your responses.

Neil – Placing pdfs seems to be fine. I’m usually only using these as positionals anyway, so I could just start working with pdfs instead of Quark eps files. It just always irritates me when something doesn’t work and I can’t explain it!

Buko – You can’t open a Quark eps directly – you’d have to place it or import it into another document, so I’m not quite sure what you mean?

Thanks again.

Paul
B
Buko
Nov 6, 2008
You can’t open a Quark eps directly

have you tried?

have you tried distilling the EPS and opening that?
RG
Rene_Garneau
Nov 6, 2008
You can’t open a Quark eps directly

He meant dragging the Quark EPS onto the Photoshop icon.
B
Buko
Nov 6, 2008
It has been years since I’ve had to use Quark but an EPS is an EPS no matter how poorly Quark makes them or how bad the format is. you should be able to open it with Photoshop.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 6, 2008
Adobe would like to get a copy of an EPS file that causes a crash.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 6, 2008
Paul,

This is a great opportunity. Take Chris up on his offer and then let us know the outcome.

Neil
R
Ram
Nov 7, 2008
It just always irritates me when something doesn’t work and I can’t explain it!

Then it’s incomprehensible why are you still using QXP. :/
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 7, 2008
because we have to.
R
Ram
Nov 7, 2008
To make eps files?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 7, 2008
yes.
R
Ram
Nov 7, 2008
OK… Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections