KP
Posted By
Ken_Peterson
Nov 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m testing a client’s favorite method for converting folders of, say, 1000 images from RAW to large JPEG. He now uses Photoshop in CS3: He opens File Menu > Scripts > Image Processor, designates a huge folder of RAW files, sets the right parameters, and saves to a different folder. Works perfectly (but slowly) on a Mac G5.

Now I am testing it on a Mac Pro in PS-CS4, the setup he wants to buy, using exactly the same parameters. Trouble is, the window that opens on each document isn’t closed, and so they accumulate! Doesn’t matter whether Tabs is enabled or not. Starts eating up scratch space and has the potantial to open 1000 tabs or windows. Somthing is wrong.

Same operation works perfectly in PS-CS3 on this Mac Pro.

If the Close Window is missing from this repeating script, then it should be added back — or a checkbox should be added: "Close each window." I haven’t been able to create an Action that will close each window without confusing the Save/Save As mechanism in the script.

How can I report this is it’s a bug? Or can someone please tell me what I’m missing.

(I know there are other ways to accomplish this task. But this one should work!)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 5, 2008
Try running it from Bridge CS4 using Tools/Photoshop/Image Processor.

Set it so that the first image opens in ACR and set your output requirements and the rest of the images in the folder will automatically follow suit.

This opens RAW files for me, applies the ACR settings and saves them to a new folder in the required size with the required embedded color profile and automatically closes each window.
KP
Ken_Peterson
Nov 6, 2008
Sorry, initial test was with CS4 Bridge + PS, opening in PS directly and from Bridge.

Tried again, exactly as you suggested, this time starting up in Safe Mode. (System = OSX 10.5.5 on 2008 Mac Pro 8-core 2.8GHz Xeon, 8GB RAM.) Same problem no matter how launched or whether I use first image to set parameters or not. Default RAM alloted to PS. Images are CR2 RAW files from Canon G9, each 15-17MB or so.

Only requirements in ACR are to respect Image Settings. Original settings are for 16-bit conversion to open PS document.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 6, 2008
I can only tell you that it works for me.

However, I am working with Nikon RAW .nef files and using OSX 10.4.11 — although I can’t think that that would make any difference.
KG
Kathy Guo
Nov 6, 2008
I tried CR2 file of G9. Image processor works for me. Did you run any action in Image Processor? You may save the setting and publish the setting to this forum. Also did you change the default Camera Raw Preferences? you could check it out at Photoshop->Preference->File Handling->Camera Raw Preferences.
KP
Ken_Peterson
Nov 6, 2008
"I tried CR2 file of G9. Image processor works for me. Did you run any action in Image Processor?"

No Action. Saved to folder different from source folder, on a separate data volume reserved for image files.

"Also did you change the default Camera Raw Preferences?"

Yes. I want sharpening to apply only to the preview. I use sidecar files, and I have set my own preferences for the cache folder location. None of this should matter, as the behavior of the Image Processor script should not depend on any of these things.

Note that my OSX 10.5+ is VERY different from 10.4+. Using exactly the same settings, the process runs perfectly in CS3. It’s only the new CS4 that breaks this. I have also disabled the optional OpenGL contribution from my Radeon 3870 video card, as the animation effects are thus far more annoying to me than helpful.

Thanks for the suggestions, however. Does anyone know how Adobe can be made aware of this? Do they read these forums?
R
Ram
Nov 6, 2008
Ken,

None of this should matter,

Before your frustration causes you to become overly argumentative, you may want to consider that your interlocutor may actually know a bit more than you seem to think she does. Kathy may even be part of the Adobe team, for all you know. 😉

Does anyone know how Adobe can be made aware of this? Do they read these forums?

Use the Contact link at the top of this page Ken. Adobe does not officially monitor these forums. We are not addressing Adobe here. Some Adobe staff members do participate when they can, on their own time and dime, strictly as volunteers, out of the goodness of their hearts.

Sorry, I can’t be of any further assistance, as I’m not touching Leopard with a ten-foot pole.
KG
Kathy Guo
Nov 6, 2008
Ken,

I still can not find out your issues here. You may try report this to adobe through this link.

<http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform>

Also one simple workaround for you, could be create a close action and run this action in Image Processor.
KP
Ken_Peterson
Nov 7, 2008
From Kathy: "I still can not find out your issues here. You may try report this to adobe through this link.
<http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform>"

Thank you, Kathy! This was the tip I needed. I thought that Adobe may, indeed, be monitoring this forum. Many manufacturers monitor and post in their own forums, e.g. Apple.

"Also one simple workaround for you, could be create a close action and run this action in Image Processor."

I really did try this. Trouble is, you run into unresolvable interactions with a Save As dialog. I.e. the Close Action seems to interfere with the saving of the converted JPEG. At least I couldn’t get it to work — but it should not be necessary.

There are workarounds, such as selecting multiple items in Bridge, opening them all into ACR, and then selecting them all and clicking Save File. Doesn’t open any windows at all! But the bug still needs to be reported.

From Ramon: "Before your frustration causes you to become overly argumentative, you may want to consider that your interlocutor may actually know a bit more than you seem to think she does. Kathy may even be part of the Adobe team, for all you know."

You are reading way too much into what I said. Argumentative? I meant what I said literally. The behavior of the Image Processor script should not have any dependencies, and the documentation (such as it is) indicates none whatever. Further, the script, when run identically in CS3, runs perfectly.
R
Ram
Nov 7, 2008
Ken,

I said BEFORE you get argumentative…

But I see I was on the right track.

The author of the Image Processor script is Russell Brown. He offers a free version called Dr. Brown’s Services which is like the Image Processor on steroids. He has one for CS4. Check out his web site:

<http://www.russellbrown.com/>

Click on Tips & Techniques, then scroll down to Dr. Brown’s Adobe Photoshop CS4 Scripts, about a fifth of the page down.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections