CA
Posted By
Clint_Anderson
Jun 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am looking to buy a newer model camera with more bells and whistles than my current Nikon Coolpix 2100. The shutter lag factor is really annoying with this camera. Have any of you PSE2 users found a good digital camera that has minimum shutter lag? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Price and brand name are secondary to performance…TIA…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 1, 2004
Oh boy, here we go

ready, set <gun shot start !>
J
jhjl1
Jun 2, 2004
If price is secondary I would look at:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos1dmkii/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond2h/

Of course Fuji has the new S3 and then there is the new Kodak DSLR.

If you decide price might be of some concern there is always the Nikon D70, the Canon 10D and Rebel, the latest Pentax, Sigma or the newest Minoltas.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
I am looking to buy a newer model camera with more bells and whistles
than my current Nikon Coolpix 2100. The shutter lag factor is really annoying with this camera. Have any of you PSE2 users found a good digital camera that has minimum shutter lag? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Price and brand name are secondary to performance…TIA…
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 2, 2004
Generally speaking with the higher end cameras the main lag is in the time to focus rather than the sutter lag itself – my Canon G3 has hardly noticeable shutter lag when I have it on manual focus. But the length of time to focus is another issue. As James has indicated with his choices the digital SLRs have much faster focusing and thus feel much more responsive than even the more expensive compact digicams. They are of course more expensive!
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 2, 2004
There is going to be shutter lag or what ever you want to call it with any digital camera that you buy. Just try to photograph fast moving pets and grandkids! And you will see what I mean.
That is a fact of life, so just take a film camera with you when you are trying to catch these creatures in motion. That is why you have to have both kinds of cameras.
Jane
J
jhjl1
Jun 2, 2004
Jane I have found that the digital SLR’s have no more lag time than a traditional film SLR. Of course as with a film SLR the lens will play a factor in the focus time. The majority of your sports photographers are now using the high end Canons and they don’t seem to miss any more shots than in the film days.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
"Jane Carter" wrote in message
There is going to be shutter lag or what ever you want to call it with
any digital camera that you buy. Just try to photograph fast moving pets and grandkids! And you will see what I mean.
That is a fact of life, so just take a film camera with you when you
are trying to catch these creatures in motion. That is why you have to have both kinds of cameras.
Jane
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 2, 2004
That should be the next purchase for me, but I am looking for light weight and ease of use at the moment with little grandkids and having to put the camera in a zip loc in the boat. The expensive camera will have to wait for a bit, but that would be the solution!
There is too much of a chance of getting dunked or having little fingers attack the machine, so will have to deal with the cheap electronics for a while more,,,,
Jane
LA
Lynell_Ackerman
Jun 2, 2004
I bought a clearance model NIkon 2100 for my college age daughter, and felt that it was slower than the similarly priced Canon A60, that I found for my other daughter. My daughter probably won’t notice, but I would not buy another one.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 2, 2004
Oh boy, here we go

ready, set <gun shot start !>

A side order of Mac to go with that ? 😉

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 2, 2004
Ray,

Side order Mac and an iPod 🙂

Wendy
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 2, 2004
For all intense purposes shutter lag in the new dSLRs is non existent (speaking mainly for the D70). Of course focusing delay may cause a problem but…. There is a work around. Most cameras can be manually focused and all sorts of exposure settings can be overridden. When doing things like sports use zone focusing and set the exposure for the conditions of the day. While your light meter will fluxuate as you pan it is more often that it is trying to change everything to neutral grey not that the light is changing. Once these settings are arrived at you will be amazed at just how fast you camera is and will be surprised in how good the images will be. Remember auto this and auto that only are only dumb tools you still have to make the smart choice.

Grant
J
JPWhite
Jun 2, 2004
I don’t have the Nikon 2100 but do have the 2500 and 3500.

With those models I have found that ‘pre focusing’ by pressing the shutter half way down is the key to a predictable shutter response, typically once the focusing is taken care of you can easily adjust to the predictable and small lag before the shutter goes off.

I myself continually ‘fight’ these autofocus cameras. I’m used to a manual SLR and without a manual focus override on the low end digitals, it doesn’t always work out well. By getting creative with the various features of the camera you can often find reasonable work arounds. For instance set on a landscape mode, the camera may pre focus on infinity therefore eliminating a lot of the lag. Of course landscape mode in your camera may not do this nor be appropriate in all picture taking scenarios.

I’m beggining to think like Grant. All digitals are hateful 🙂

JP
LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 3, 2004
I agree with Grant, as usual. 😉

Although I have been used to top pro film cameras, I don’t notice any difference in shutter lag. With my Fuji S2 I can shoot as fast as with any film camera. The only difference: after about 10-12 shots its memory is full and I have to wait a few seconds before the next shot is available. However, I had the same experience with film cameras after 36 shots. 😉
I use this way of rapid firing especially with environemental portraiture of children; you never know what they will do and to capture the decisive moment I have to be extremely fast. (Yes, sometimes I still can at my age)

Leen
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jun 3, 2004
As Wendy will probably confirm coming from a Kodak 4330 which has a seemingly very long shutter lag, to the 300D, the thought is….what shutter lag.

I’m not into taking action shots and the only affect of the long shutter lag was annoyance and the fact that I’d move the camera before it had done it’s work. Not anymore.

Colin
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 3, 2004
I agree with that …..

Wendy
JS
John_Schandorsky
Jun 4, 2004
Go to www.dpreview.com. They have great reviews on all digital cameras, testing shutter response image quality ect.

John

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections