EW
Posted By
Ellen_Wiest
Jun 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a friend ( for over 50 years) who uses earthlink, xp and keeps sending me *.jpg files from Adobe Photoshop Elements that I cannot open or see.. I have an old version of Photoshop that came with this old MAC! Does anyone have a suggestion
You can e-mail my friend at She is much better at computers and maybe she will explain what I am not doing. than I am

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 1, 2004
Ask your friend to use the Save For Web function instead of the regular Save As… Perhaps this will solve your problem.

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 1, 2004
Ellen,

Have you tried to open them using Graphic convertor?

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 1, 2004
Was graphic converter included with OS 8? Simple curiosity… My first Mac came with 10.3.3, so everything preceding that is unknown to me, except a little of OS 9… but not much!

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 1, 2004
Not usually included, Ray, unless as part of a software bundle (usually for powermac towers and pbooks, same as now), but it is available for OS 8.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 1, 2004
jpg files from Adobe Photoshop Elements that I cannot open or see..

If she can’t even see them I don’t see how she’d be able to open them. OS 8? I’m wondering what email client you’re using Ellen? Do the attachments show up at all (as in a paper clip icon if you’re using Outlook Express)?

Joe

EDIT: Have you been able to open other jpgs or is the problem just the ones you get emailed from your friend?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 2, 2004
Also, which of you is using aol?
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jun 2, 2004
Hi Barb,

I’m guessing Ellen has AOL only because she’s on an old iMac running OS 8 and her friend is using XP. Not conclusive I know, but it’s my guess. If true, well that’s another whole ball of wax. Ugh, AOL is just such a pain in the butt!

Joe
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 2, 2004
Good point, Joe. Ellen, why not upgrade to aol 5? I was able to run that in 7.5.5 and it handles graphics a lot better than 4 did.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 2, 2004
Ugh, AOL is just such a pain in the butt!

Amen!

Speaking as a friend of someone on AOL who has nothing but trouble opening my attachments.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 2, 2004
Ellen, you do have stuffit expander, don’t you? Then ask your friend to be sure to zip or stuff the files before sending them to you. With aol 4 I don’t know how much help it will be, but it’s better to keep aol’s mitts off them as much as possible.

Try a test file first, because with such an old os that it’s possible that you won’t be able to open the compressed files when you get them if they have been made with a much newer version of whatever utility your friend is using.
EW
Ellen_Wiest
Jun 2, 2004
Thanks to all of you- a litle clarification. I’m Ellen with xp sending the *.jpgs to Adromache on her mac os8 and aol4. 4 years ago her neuro surgeon son droped of the computer. I actually taught how to use it a little and she does send a receive e-mails on her own. (I am 74 and she is 79- pretty good for o;ldsters. I moved 3000 miles away so I am sending all oof your GREAT suggestions one at a time. I do know that there is an Adobe program and on the task bar she has something that says ‘pictures’
I have tried sending pictures ( of grandchildren, what else?)using earthlink both as an attachment and inserting them in the body of the message. With Adobe I shrink them down below 10% I have not tried sending them using outlook6 express. I have a feeling that Andromache isn’t clicking twicw fast enough to open the pictures . Is there someway she could click on the paperclip and ‘save as’. But thanks to all of you. Ellen
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 2, 2004
Ellen, is there any way you can find out what mac she has? Oh wait, you’re on windows so you probably still have a floppy drive, don’t you? I’m not sure this is exactly the same in aol 4, but there’s nothing you can do with anything in the menubar in that version.

I think your pictures may be getting to her okay, but it’s going to be hell for her to get to them. She will need to find the download manager (I haven’t used aol 4 in a whole bunch of years so I’m going to be vague–sorry.) and click her way through that to find them.

With that version of aol you should not be sizing pictures by percent. She will have a terrible time getting any attachment much bigger than about 75K. You will need to go save for web and keep resizing down (probably not bigger than about 400 pixels on the long side) and lowering the quality till you get them small enough.

Frankly, her life would be a heck of a lot easier with a more up to date os. With that version of aol, her computer will choke on most pics, and even 75 K will probably take five or six minutes to download.

She definitely can upgrade to aol 5. She should be able to do that just by entering keyword "upgrade" although it will take many hours. Maybe they could send her a disk if she calls them.
EW
Ellen_Wiest
Jun 3, 2004
Dear Barbara- Thanks for down to earth advise which I have passed on. To All: You wouldn’t believe all the forums on the internet that have received this same problem from me and 1)didn’t bother to reply or
2) gave me some really outlandish and way off the mark reponse So my thanks to all

PS while helping my husband in our restaurant (before he retired) I became expert at making " table tents). You know those cards that sya
TODAYS SPECIAL IS
If anyone wants to know I’ll be glad to tell you how. But not word! Ellen

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections