MK
Posted By
Mary_Kern
Jan 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am very new to Photoshop. I have an photo image that is a pg measuring 2000 X 1321 (534kb). I need to make a square "thumbnail" of this image that will be approximately 100 X 100. Is there a way to do that without distorting the image? I can crop a little off the sides but not enough to make it square.

Thanks for any help

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
beerfueled
Jan 19, 2007
Mary:

If you are wanting a 100 x 100 version of your 2000 x 1321 image, you MUST crop some of it out, or live with a very squashed version. I know which one I would choose.

One way to do this is to select the Rectangular Marquee Tool, set it to "Fixed Aspect Ratio", with a Width of 1 and Height of 1. Drag a marquee around what you want to show, then Image > Crop. Resize as necessary.

Also explore using the Crop Tool. Either way, you’re going to have to sacrifice some of the image.

Your other option would be to create your thumbnail with image-less areas on the sides, to make up for the height-to-width ratio change. Kind of like a wide-screen film shown on a regular TV screen. However, this may be unacceptable, if you are intending to end up with a small thumbnail.

-larry

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections