JD
Posted By
Jared_Dawson
May 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running Mac system 10.2.8 and have a USB connection to an Epson RX500. Just bought and installed Elements 2.0.2. I had tried the trial version, everything worked well. Now I find that I cannot print out in landscape, the print comes out as a portrait chopped off. If I ask for portrait, it reverses to landscape, but only after cropping it first.
I have already talked to Epson and reloaded their driver, but it appears to be a software issue rather than the driver, as the same file prints landscape out of iPhoto.
Thank you for anyone with an idea for this, I did not see it as a problem on the forum.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 29, 2004
Jared, why not rotate the image, then print in portrait? That’s what I do with all my landscape format photos…

Chuck
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 29, 2004
Make sure page setup in Elements is set to correct orientation, not just the printer driver setup.

Mac
JD
Jared_Dawson
May 29, 2004
The rotation idea does not work, rotating and then printing in portrait comes out in chopped landscape, while rotating and printing in landscape comes out in misaligned and sized landscape. I have been going through page setup in Elements. Elements itself is not functioning correctly, is there anyone from Adobe that can help, or must I pay for support? I certainly will ask for my money back if I can not get any assistance.
BH
Beth_Haney
May 29, 2004
First, did you repair permissions after installing Elements?

Second, page setup, which is accessed through Print Preview in Elements is actually making changed to your printer settings, not Elements.

Please give us a step by step of what you’ve done so far, including the size and resolution of the image.

You might also try deleting the Elements Preference folder; although that doesn’t seem like the right approach for this problem, it won’t hurt anything and might help. The Mac keyboard shortcut is: With Elements closed, hold down the Command, Option, and Shift keys and then click on the PSE start up icon. Hold all three keys down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. Or, you can go into your Home folder and delete the Preferences manually.
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 29, 2004
Beth ! I was just thinking about you ! Thinkin’ I hadn’t seen your lovely precense here lately. Hoping you and your loved ones are doing well and that summer is keeping you busy. How’s Louie ? Anyways, it’s freezing out today and I’m not happy about it ! Glad to see you here though 🙂
JD
Jared_Dawson
May 29, 2004
Thanks, Beth, for your suggestions. I am not aware about repairing permissions. I am the only authorized user on my home account. This is something I have not encountered before.
I tried the deletion of the preference folder as you suggested, but no change. The page setup that I am accessing is directly under "File". The Epson people told me that in System X the individual program is controlling the printer driver, which makes sense insofar that other programs are able to print normally with this same driver.
My image is a Photoshop file that is 300 pixels/inch image size 9.223 x 7.5 inches. I have tried other file types within Elements to no avail. I have reinstalled the printer driver from Epson. The Preview looks great on screen, under "Print Preview". But the print comes out rotated (ie, portrait when requesting landscape) and thus cropped. Thanks again.
BH
Beth_Haney
May 30, 2004
OK, let’s see…

First, just in terms of general maintenance for your Mac, you really should begin using the Repair Permissions feature every time you load new software that has an installer, which includes operating system updates. It doesn’t hurt to do it every week or two just "for because" if you use your computer a lot, either. And do you let the computer run 24/7 so the secret middle of the night activities are done automatically? If not, you should also download one of the free utilities programs like MacJanitor or Onyx and use it as a replacement. OS X is a great operating system, but it does need a little more TLC than what some of us long time Mac users are accustomed to bestowing on our computers. And, as a matter of fact, I usually do a Repair Permissions both before and after installing new software – particularly the OS updates, but I do have a reputation for being kind of obsessive. My computer is pretty healthy though! 🙂 To access Repair Permissions, go to Applications>Utilities>Disk Repair. Choose the hard drive you want repaired and hit the Repair Permissions button. Then sit back, because if you haven’t been doing this it may take a while to finish.

In regard to your printing dilemma: If I read/understood your most recent post right, you are using File>Page Setup to set the portrait/landscape mode. Is that correct? If so, use File>Print Preview>Page Setup. And if this works, please don’t ask why, because I don’t know! However, that’s how I’ve always done it and have never had a problem getting the orientation I wanted.

There are lots of Mac users on this forum, and there are a lot of Mac users with Epsons, so there is a way to get things set up properly. We just have to figure out where you’re encountering the problem on your particular set up.
JD
Jared_Dawson
May 31, 2004
Well, I have it properly printing, and do you know what it was? It is a bug with the border option! I was trying all sorts of things (anything!) and I tried printing without the border option in Elements, and the image righted itself and printed fine. If I try and add a border, it immediately goes back to reversing the output orientation. Anyone else find this?
Thanks for all your suggestions. I can live with this if it is the only bug I find. Jared
BH
Beth_Haney
May 31, 2004
I’d forgotten that border option even existed in Print Preview! My guess that few people here on the forum have used it, because it’s so easy to add a border on the image before it’s printed.

I’m glad you got your print problems worked out, but don’t ignore the stuff about Mac maintenance! 🙂
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 31, 2004
Jared, thanks for sharing that learning with us. But what is the ‘border option’?

Chuck
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 31, 2004
Beth, thanks – found it in Print Preview, Show Other Options. However, it doesn’t have the negative effect that Jared is referencing; the image prints in Landscape, with our without the border, on my HP whatever printer running Elements 2 under Win XP Home. No bug here. The mystery continues…

Chuck

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections