MK
Posted By
Marcia_K
May 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is Photoshop Elements able to open these graphics with this file extension? I use Art Explosion and all the images are in that format. I find this very frustrating.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 29, 2004
Marcia, if you’re using a Windows machine, download IrfanView (freeware) and use it to convert your wmf files to a more conventional format like TIFF. Elements and Photoshop don’t recognize wmf, which I believe is a Microsoft invention that hasn’t had much penetration…

Chuck
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 29, 2004
WMF files are generally vector based (clip art), although they can be raster (or raster AND vector); hence the name METAfile (Windows MetaFile).

If you open in something like IrfanView, the vector info is not controllable, and converts at a quite low resolution.

If you can open the .wmf file in something like CorelDraw or Illustrator, you can export as .ai or .eps. Then opening THAT file in Elements allows you a choice of resolution at which to rasterize.

Mac
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 29, 2004
…. a Microsoft
invention that hasn’t had much penetration…

MOST vector clipart collections are in .wmf or have .wmf as one of the file versions.
..cgm used to be more popular, but .wmf took over.

Mac
MK
Marcia_K
May 29, 2004
WOW, thank you for your fast answers. I did download IrfanView, the price was right! I also use Thumbs Plus and I’ve converted files in that program with no problem. I guess I was hoping that I wouldn’t have to go to another program and then go to Elements. This is the only graphics program I have that doesn’t recognize wmf. I also use Paint Shop Pro and have resorted to that again and again when I get frustrated with Elements.

Marcia
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 29, 2004
Mac, didn’t know that, thanks. Guess it’s ’cause I rarely use clipart; saw too many presentations at work that looked schlocky because of clipart overuse.
🙂
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 29, 2004
IrfanView is truly a remarkable program- but just note that you parobably didn’t get very high pixel counts on those conversions. Whether they will be useful at those resolutions depends on what rez you need for your purposes in Elements.

All *drawing* (vector) programs recognize .wmf files.
Elements/Photoshop are RASTER (pixels) editing programs. If you don’t get that basic difference, you will 🙂

Mac

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections