EK
Posted By
Ernie_Kruck
Jan 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I opened a 5.78KB JPEG file and simply saved it without doing anything to the image.

The size of the saved file was now showing as 24.81KB.

What has caused the 5.78KB file to grow to 24.81KB?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
PECourtejoie
Jan 16, 2007
A color profile, maybe, if you used "Save As" and not "Save For Web".

Also, you maybe selected a smaller compression, or choosed to include thumbnails, etc.
L
LenHewitt
Jan 16, 2007
Sounds like you saved it with less compression than the original was saved at.

When you open a JPEG it is de-compressed. It is then just a collection of pixels, not a JPEG or a PSD or any other format. When you save as a JPEG it is again compressed, but at the compression level you indicate in the application.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Jan 16, 2007
Also, Every time you save as JPEG you dammage the image. When the image is decompressed, artifacts are visible at high contrast edges. Those artifacts then become part of the image data. So, if you constantly save, open, save, open, save a JPEG using the same compression settings you’ll find the file gets larger while the image looks worse each time.

Do not use JPEG as an archival format. Keep originals as TIFF or PSD files, only saving JPEG when building web pages. Make all corrections to the original image.
SL
SI_Lane
Jan 20, 2007
My digital camera creates jpgs that are 300ppi, but when I open them in PS CS it automatically reduces the image to 72ppi. Obviously I am missing some setting here!

Help! And thanks!
SF
Scott_Falkner
Jan 20, 2007
My digital camera creates jpgs that are 300ppi.

I doubt that. It probably saved JPEG images without and ppi data. Photoshop is plugging in the default value of 72 ppi.

What size are the photos when placed in Illustrator or InDesign?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 20, 2007
SI, those ppi numbers are not relevant. What counts is the number of pixels unless you are printing.
SL
SI_Lane
Jan 20, 2007
Scott – you are correct. The images are being saved at 3MB (2048×1536). Sorry I don’t know how to get the information from Illustrator – in Document Info it shows the output resolution as 800. Don’t know if that is the correct number.

Ed – Printing is important.

Sharon
SF
Scott_Falkner
Jan 20, 2007
Document Info it shows the output resolution as 800

That has nothing to do with the image.

When you File > Place the image, how big is it? If the resolution in not in the file, Illustrator will assume 72 ppi just as Photoshop will, and the photo will appear very large.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 20, 2007
Sharon,

The point is, it’s the same image/same pixels. You can change the ppi with Resampling OFF to whatever you want with no change to the actual image when you go to print.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections