How do you scroll thru blending modes and see the picture change?

JC
Posted By
Jane Carter
May 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I used to be able to scroll thru the blending modes and as I did this, the picture would change too. It was a really nice and easy way to compare them as they flew by. Sort of like previewing them.
But I can’t seem to do this on my new Mac. Maybe I don’t remember how to do it correctly, but it sure was nice! Can this still be done with PSE 2?
Thanks,
Jane

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BG
Byron Gale
May 24, 2004
Jane,

On my PC, if I hold SHIFT and then hit the + or – key, the blending mode scrolls.

Dunno if it works the same on a Mac.

Byron
PA
Patti_Anderson
May 24, 2004
I’m on a PC too, but I just click to highlight one of the blending modes and then I can use the up and down arrows on the keyboard. Never had to use Shift.???

Patti
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 25, 2004
Patti: I think this works only if the current blending mode is selected. If you want to change it while the current blend mode isn’t select, you can use SHIFT + and SHIFT – key combination.

Works on a Mac as well.

Chuck : Notice the use of the word S-H-I-F-T… Hahahahaha !

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 25, 2004
Ray – VERY GOOD!!

🙂

Chuck

p.s. All the best on your upcoming surgery; I know it will go well!
PA
Patti_Anderson
May 25, 2004
If you want to change it while the current blend mode isn’t select, you can use SHIFT + and SHIFT – key combination.

Well…how about that! I didn’t know that trick. I’m always using the blending modes when I want to scroll through them, so I guess I just didn’t get it until now. 🙂

Patti
JC
Jane Carter
May 25, 2004
I still cant seem to get it to work, here are 2 screenshots in case my layers are set up wrong. Just tried it on the old Mac with os 9,
<http://www.pbase.com/jcarter/gallery/blending_mode_problem> but my brain seems to have left me in the dust.
Jane
DS
Dick Smith
May 25, 2004
Jane,

When you do that are you scrolling down the drop down menu? I can reproduce that effect. If you scroll up and down the menu nothing changes. If, however, you bring down the menu and then click on any one of the modes the menu will go away, your choice will remain highlighted in the mode box and then you should be able to use the arrow keys to go up or down and see the changes.

Dick

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections