GC
Posted By
Graham_Cocks
May 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop Elements V1.0.1 and have upgraded my PC from 98 to XP.

Following "ComponentMoveData Error 106" I copied the Photoshop Elements folder and files [AutoPlay.exe, Common, AUTOPLAY, AUTORUN.INF, AdobeTechnicalInfo, English] from the CD-ROM to the desktop and restarted the computer in Safe mode as recommended.

The following now occurs:

a) The installation process does not start when pressing the Adobe Photoshop Elements ‘button’.
b) Setup launcher initiates, but then just stops after a couple of seconds.

Any suggestions re solving this installation problem would be appreciated.

Regards,
Graham

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
May 24, 2004
Did you remember to shut down all open programs and disable antivirus software before trying the install?
WW
wayne_watson
May 24, 2004
I just purchased Photoshop Elements 2.0 plus Album 2.0, and it just plain will not install on XP. The install window shows up, and I select install and then select PS Elem 2.0. The hour glass shows up and disappears after 15 seconds. Nothing more happens. I can read the CD by using Open and can look at the contents of pdf and wri files. What’s up?
TF
Terri_Foster
May 24, 2004
Are you sure you are signed on as the administrator?
L
LaManchaDQ
May 24, 2004
I had exactly the same problem you did. Here is the solution

Boot into Safe Mode
Sign in as Administrator
run the install

everything should work then as it di for me.

wrote in message
I have Photoshop Elements V1.0.1 and have upgraded my PC from 98 to XP.
Following "ComponentMoveData Error 106" I copied the Photoshop Elements
folder and files [AutoPlay.exe, Common, AUTOPLAY, AUTORUN.INF, AdobeTechnicalInfo, English] from the CD-ROM to the desktop and restarted the computer in Safe mode as recommended.
The following now occurs:

a) The installation process does not start when pressing the Adobe
Photoshop Elements ‘button’.
b) Setup launcher initiates, but then just stops after a couple of
seconds.
Any suggestions re solving this installation problem would be appreciated.
Regards,
Graham
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 25, 2004
Graham :

What program did you try to start? If you can, find setup.exe (or install.exe) in one of the folders.

Also, if this doesn’t help, answer these:

How much free space does your main hard drive has? Are there any programs running while you’re attempting to install it? Did you have a previous demo version installed?

Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 25, 2004
Wayne:

Make sure you have enough free space on your computer’s hard drive. Also, do some house cleaning (Control Panel / System Maintenance / Free up space). Make sure tha anti-virus isn’t running.

Ray
GC
Graham_Cocks
May 25, 2004
Thank you for the replies. No luck – here is the status so far:

In Safe mode, no other programs running and anti-virus is not running. No previous demo version installed.
Logged in as Administrator.
Plenty of free space (22.5Gb).
Autoplay.exe causes the result a) above in my original post. Install.exe does not exist.
Setup.exe causes the reslt b) above in my original post.

Any further suggestions welcome.

Graham
L
LaManchaDQ
May 25, 2004
When you say no other programs are running did you look at the processes tab to see what’s running there? If you are really in Safe Mode, the processes list should be VERY short. How did you get into safe mode?

If Safe Mode doesn’t work for you, I would suggest a re-installation of windows. An installation problem would also, I think, qualify for Adobe complimentary support for registered products. Their tech support number is 206-675-6358 .

wrote in message
Thank you for the replies. No luck – here is the status so far:
In Safe mode, no other programs running and anti-virus is not running. No previous demo version installed.
Logged in as Administrator.
Plenty of free space (22.5Gb).
Autoplay.exe causes the result a) above in my original post. Install.exe does not exist.
Setup.exe causes the reslt b) above in my original post.
Any further suggestions welcome.

Graham
MR
mikael_runsten
May 26, 2004
Have you tried autoplay with a -c option (autoplay.exe -c)?. Have you tried to install from the CD in safe mode, there could be a path problem (hardcoded?)?

Micke
GC
Graham_Cocks
May 27, 2004
Micke,
Tried -c option and also install from CD in safe mode.
No luck, still stops 60% of way through installation with error 106. Graham
MR
mikael_runsten
May 27, 2004
Do you have access to another Elements CD?

The error message indicates that there are a decompress problem, I suppose you have read this:

The error "ComponentMoveData had the following error: …Error Number: -106" indicates the (Adobe) installer was unable to decompress a file. The installer may be unable to decompress a file if the (Adobe) CD is dirty or damaged, if hard disk space is insufficient , or if the installer conflicts with an application or device driver. Starting Windows in Safe mode or VGA mode temporarily disables potentially conflicting software and device drivers such as the CD-ROM driver, network drivers, and other items that load automatically during startup.
Micke
GC
Graham_Cocks
May 31, 2004
It installs under XP Professional without any problem.

So, what is different about XP Home?

Graham
BH
Beth_Haney
May 31, 2004
You aren’t running any anti-virus software while trying to put it on are you?
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 31, 2004
I have PE running under XP Home – no problems.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
May 31, 2004
Graham,
I also have PE running in XP Home.
You may want to look at the installation procedure offered here: <http://www.delorme.com/support/installxp.asp>
Ken
GC
Graham_Cocks
Jun 2, 2004
Still no luck!

Kenneth & Chuck – What actual version of PE are you running under XP home?

Graham
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jun 2, 2004
Version #1.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 2, 2004
1 and 2 and LE and Photoshop 7.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections