EG
Posted By
Eric_Glasscott
May 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently returned for a trip to Italy and in Naples transferred about 100 flash card images from my camera to a CD. Now that I am home I tried to open the images, but get a message that says "JPEG marker segment length is too short (the file may be truncated or too short)". Each file is about one MB so there is data there. Does anyone have a solution to this that will enable me to recover these images, or are they gone forever?
Regards,

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
May 23, 2004
Windows?

Try freebie IrfanView (irfanview.com).

If it won’t do it, I’ve never found anything that would.

M
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 23, 2004
Mac?

Graphic Converter ..

Eric … do hope that one of these work as it would be such a shame to lose your precious photographs. 🙂

Wendy
EG
Eric_Glasscott
May 24, 2004
Wendy:

Many thanks for your response. I am using Windows XP, but will try and find a graphic converter to see how that goes. I should have asked the people in the camera shop in Naples to let me see the images on the CD before leaving, but there was a major language problem!

Thanks

Eric
EG
Eric_Glasscott
May 24, 2004
Mac:

Many thanks for your response. A very interesting download, but it still did not know the format of these images, and when I tried to open them gave a message that the header was not recognized. Your help is very much appreciated.

Regards

Eric
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 24, 2004
Eric, found this

"WHEN I TRY TO OPEN THE IMAGE IN PHOTOSHOP I GET THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:

"The jpeg marker segment is too short"

re:

This problem usually occurs on a Mac when the .jpg and jpeg file-type extensions are associated with a program other than Photoshop.

Go into your CONTROL PANEL and select File Exchange. Click on whatever jpg and jpeg extensions are listed, and then on the Change button. Once you have associated the extensions with Photoshop, they should open properly.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 24, 2004
Sounds like they are hosed to me.
If IrfanView wouldn’t touch them. Iview will even open files with the wrong extension. Meaning, it will recognize a tiff, even if it is named ..jpg and etc.

M
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 24, 2004
Ya, while I was looking for this info for Eric, another had suggested that the message also occurs when a slight sliver of the image did not get copied properly but usually a converter will open it. Since he tried Ifranview and it didn’t work I gave him the other suggestion. I’ve heard of this happening in the past with another person on Tech TV…she did in fact lose her images from China because of a poor burn.
MR
mikael_runsten
May 26, 2004
Try the "All media fixer" from www.realconvert.com it have support for jpg files (it might work).

Good luck!

Micke
B
Brizzle
May 26, 2004
Im having the exact same problem with pictures i burnt in australia. I am currently emailing Kodak for an answer so as soon as i have anything to give i will post it. Ive got 300 pictures on my CD, and only 6 will open before the Jpeg marker segment to short message comes up.
One question though, when you look at the properties of the pics that wont open does it still say that there is data there, e.g. picture size 700kb or whatever?

brad

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections