SM
Posted By
Shirley_Mendoza
Oct 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having a problem that seems to be mostly triggered by the free transform tool.

when i use it causes photoshop to freeze up for up to a minute. Once it frees up it then clicks or performs everything I have tried to do while it was frozen.

this can even happen with tiny files under 1Mb in size and even if photoshop is the only application running. Quitting photoshop and relaunching the document usually helps for a few minutes. A full restart often helps for longer.

I have CS3 and a shiny fresh install of Leopard (brand new macbook with 4GB RAM) and have triple checked for upgrades for my system all applications and photoshop also.

I only have system fonts installed,
I’m running no 3rd party background apps.

This is driving me crazy please help if you have any ideas!

Thanks

Shirley

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JD
John_Danek
Oct 30, 2008
Do not overlook your PS Preferences > Scratch Disk setup. Look at your available Hard Disk(s) for free space. It could be your HD is in need of some house cleaning. At a minimum, use Apple’s Disk Utility to repair Permissions. Also, take a look at a 3rd party utility like Disk Warrior or similar, and run their defragment utility.

It sounds like PS is looking for scratch to perform the activity. If your disk is fragmented, it may not have a big enough chunk of space to use for scratch. Another possibility is your RAM module(s) may need to be reseated ( although this would be a long-shot ) and/or cleaned. I would use an HD utility first, do the Disk Permissions, and run a cleanup utility like Mac Janitor or similar. And, absolutely check your scratch disk setup in PS’s Preferences.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections