AF
Posted By
Alex_Fonseca
May 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Why do I get EXIF Color Space – "Uncalibrated" when cheking File > File Info… > Selection EXIF in PE2? Since I captured my images with Adobe RGB as a Processing Parameter in my camera (see below) I was expecting to see that Color Space (Adobe RGB) instead of Uncalibrated. Also I tried saving my picture with Save As > Color: ICC Profile: Adobe RGB (1998) hoping to have it (the picture) taged with Adobe RGB color space but again when I open back the image and check File Info, I am still geting the "Uncalibrated" EXIF Color Space.
I want to tag my images with Adobe RGB because based on my research that is a "bigger" color space. Or would I be better off leaving it Uncalibrated?
Details:

Capture
Camera = Canon Digital Rebel
Image Recording Quality = RAW
Processing Parameter = Adobe RGB – the camera manual says the following for Adobe RGB setting: "Thi is mainly used for commercial printing…The ICC profile is not appended. To convert the profile, you must set Adobe RGB." But it doesn’t say where to set Adobe RGB, ie. PE2? Printer? PC?

Processing
Computer = HP PC
Software = Photoshop Elements 2
Color Settings = Full color managment – optimized for Print

Output
Epson R800 for home printing only

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
brent_bertram
May 15, 2004
Alex,
Your image may be tagged with the AdobeRGB colorspace, but it wouldn’t be in the EXIF information. The EXIF colorspace can only be either 1) uncalibrated or 2) sRGB . That is the EXIF standard . The AdobeRGB tag on your image file is not in the EXIF information .

Down at the lower left of your Elements screen is a little black triangle. If you click on it, and select "Document Profile", then the colorspace will be indicated on the bottom status line. Hopefully, you’ll see the magic "AdobeRGB" there. Hope this is helps.

🙂

Brent
AF
Alex_Fonseca
May 15, 2004
Brent,
You are the man! Thank you so much. Indeed I see the "magic" AdobeRGB after clicking on the black triangle and selecting Document Profile. But of course only on the image that I saved with the AdobeRGB ICC Profile. The original image as downloaded from my Compact Flash Card says "Untagged RGB". So I am getting everything as expected. Thanks again.
While we’re at this topic can you help me with the following additional questions?

1. Am I right in chosing AdobeRGB as my color space if I want to work with the largest possible color space in PE2?
2. Is there any advantage in working with an untagged image?

Regards
BB
brent_bertram
May 15, 2004

1. You are correct in working with AdobeRGB . It is a much better match for the gamut of your printer than the other choices.

2. An untagged image really isn’t particularly useful ( certainly not in a color managed workflow , where you are seeking predictable results going from device to device ). An untagged image is slightly smaller in size (when saved for the web ), but not enough that I’d get excited about it.

Good reading on the subject at Ian Lyons’ site, <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/> and Norman Koren’s site ,
<http://www.normankoren.com/> . I’m sort of an apprentice of Ian Lyons ( a fellow electrician , from Ireland ) , and very much admire Norman Koren’s site.

🙂

Brent

🙂

Brent
BB
brent_bertram
May 16, 2004
Alex,
By the way, I envy you that R800 printer. It is on my Christmas list ( but Christmas is so far away ). I’m photo-printing on my Epson 890, and have a new Epson 1520 to play with for larger format printing, but I’m pretty well sold on the R800 as "the apple of my eye" at the moment.

🙂

Brent
AF
Alex_Fonseca
May 16, 2004
Thanks again Brent!
I’ll stick with AdobeRGB.
I am very pleased with my Epson R800 and would definitely recommend it. I read many (believe me – MANY!) reviews on the internet and decided to spend a little more and get the printer. So that you know when you get yours, I’ve printed a few test images to check for color accuracy and decided that the following settings give the closest match to my image on the screen:
Photoshop Color Management Profile: Same as Source
Printer Color Management: ICC/ICM Profile: Off
With these settings I get a print that is probably 1/2 a stop darker than the on-screen image and a little warmer too. I decided this is good enough for now because I am working with a non calibrated Sony SDM-HX73 LCD Monitor, so I can’t really tell if my on-screen image is what it was supposed to be or not… In that respect I am thinking of buying the Colorvision Spyder (not the SpyderPro) with the PhotoCal Software, but that’s another $150 and I am not sure I will really get the benefits of a properly calibrated monitor… Do you have any experience with the Spyder for calibrating LCD Monitors running on XP? Do you think I can get an even better color match if I have my monitor calibrated?
BB
brent_bertram
May 16, 2004
Alex,
If you have the money, buy the calibration toy <G> ! I use Monaco EZcolor with their earlier Sequel Colorimeter . Having a calibrated and profiled display is worth it, as long as you’re not broke ( and supporting lots of kids ) . Ezcolor also allows me to create custom profiles for all the papers and inks I use. It’s a fine toy at an affordable price. <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ezcolor25/ezcolor25_1.htm>

🙂

Brent
BB
brent_bertram
May 16, 2004
Alex,
For the absolute best output, you should be using "No Color Adjustment" in the Advance driver tab, and a Epson Media profile in the output space box ( instead of "same as source" ) . This assumes that you are printing on an Epson paper that you have a profile for. Their are other options, all outlined in Ian Lyons’ essay at < http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac_2.h tm> .

🙂

Brent
AF
Alex_Fonseca
May 16, 2004
Yes Brent. That is what I am using ICC/ICM Profile = Off (No Color Adjustment), on the advanced tab in my printer’s properties window.
I’ll investigate some more on the calibration "toy"… Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections