OpenGL not available on MacPro ATI X1900 XT 512MB with CS4?

M
Posted By
macbenutzer
Oct 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, have a MacPro (2×2 2.66GHz, OSX 10.5.4) with 12GB RAM and a ATI X1900 XT 512MB graphic card (ROM: 113-A52027-202) and a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. When opening CS4 preferences i can NOT enable the OpenGL Drawing. The feature is greyed out. Under "Detected video card" stands nothing – no card detected. I read the TechNote from Adobe but could not locate any problem. The computer, the graphic card and the driver are up-to-date. (TechNote: < http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.doexternalId=kb4 04898#driverversion)>.
I even tried the "AllowOldGPUS.plugin" from Adobe without any change.

Do others have this problem too? Any idea what to change?

Thank you very much.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 28, 2008
The usable cards are discussed in:
< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405711&sliceId=1>

The NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT is mentioned as being problematical:

"Note: Due to technical issues we enable OpenGL for the 7300GT, but we had to disable Advanced Drawing and 3D Acceleration."

and the ATI X1900 XT while listed as being usable on a Windows machine, is not included in the list of crds that are compatible with Open GL and CS4 on a Mac.
C
Cindy
Oct 28, 2008
I have a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT and the enable the OpenGL Drawing check-box does show. However, Advanced Settings/Advanced Drawing is grayed out.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 28, 2008
From the info. in Adobe’s TechNote it would appear that even installing the optional "AllowOldGPUS.plugin" won’t make OpenGL Drawing available with the GeForce 7300 GT —unless Apple updates their video drivers which are part of OSX.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 28, 2008
From the info. in Adobe’s TechNote it would appear that even installing the optional "AllowOldGPUS.plugin" won’t make OpenGL Drawing available with the GeForce 7300 GT —unless Apple updates their video drivers which are part of OSX.

Which is why I opted for an 8800GT card. Apple may never update drivers since they no longer sell the card.
M
macbenutzer
Oct 28, 2008
"The ATI X1900 XT is listed as being usable on a Windows machine as well as on the Mac. Do you have the ATI X1900 XT in the first Slot? "

Yes, it is in the first slot…
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Oct 28, 2008
No problem here with a nearly identical Mac Pro except only one video card.

<http://homepage.mac.com/wellesgoodrich/Prefs.gif>
M
macbenutzer
Oct 28, 2008
to Welles:
Thank you for that screenshot. Maybe it is worth to deinstall the GeForce for a try-out…

I posted this problem at the Apple forum too, to see if there are others having the same issue.

Cheers – Peter
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 28, 2008
I’m guessing that Photoshop is confused with multiple video cards.

I had two identical 7300 cards in my MacPro. When I installed PSCS4 the card was seen and GL was turned on (but not Advanced Drawing). I upgraded 1 card to an nVidia 8800. Now sporting one 8800 and one 7300. GL was not available, but should have been. Here is where I’m guessing that PS saw two video cards that were different so it decided GL wasn’t an option.

I then installed the AllowOldGPUs plug in and the 8800 was seen and GL is available with Advanced Drawing as well.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 28, 2008
Try removing the 7300 card if you are not driving 3 displays.

Also, are you sure you want to stay with 10.5.4?
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 28, 2008
If it is not working, then something in the driver is failing, or telling Photoshop that it does not have the capabilities. And right now we don’t have any good way of determining exactly which part is failing or reporting capabilities incorrectly.

Scott – yes, the GL driver may not be happy with different card models.
M
macbenutzer
Oct 28, 2008
I deinstalled the GeForce card and now i can enable every option regarding OpenGL in PS CS4. And i also updated to 10.5.5 (of course after writing a backup first).

So there is "an issue" with the GeForce card or two different cards under PS CS4.

But i can not see any acceleration in PS. When opening an equirectangular image (6000×3000 px) and convert it into a spherical panorama PS is painfully slow when repainting the image.
Not really being worth any change in the system for now…

Thanks for these hints – Peter
JK
Japji_Khalsa
Nov 20, 2008
I"m having the same problem. I have 3 video cards, one is the x1900. And same ‘dialogue’ in the Preferences pane of Photoshop.

But.. sounds like… it’s not worth the effort of tracking it down or making major system changes, so, I’ll leave well enough alone.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Nov 20, 2008
The issue is not card specific. The problem is that the Apple OS does not function well with non-matching, multiple video cards. It doesn’t matter which cards you have, if they aren’t the exact same cards, there is the problem. You can install 3 ATI x1900 cards and it will all work great, but mix cards and the OS has issues.
E
EFXANIMATION
Dec 15, 2008
I have the same problem. I also have a X1900 and a BlackMagic card.

BUT, why is it that open GL works fine in AE CS4 (and in my 3d apps) but doesn’t function at all in CS4 bridge and photoshop? Seems like adobe isn’t on the ball between app dev departments.

Or something.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 15, 2008
I do not see why the BlackMagic Intensity Pro would be an issue as it is a capture card and not a display card per se?

I own an intensity pro card and wil instal it to see if it disables the open GL on my Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT card.

This is not quite right.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 15, 2008
Ok so i just installed Blackmagic’s Intensity Pro and the newest drivers from the website.

Just what I thought it has no effect on the Open GL support and as my memory serves me it is your card Radeon X1900 which does not ether support Open GL 2.0 or Shader 3.0. The card has to support both as I understand it.

To my memory which is sometimes not the best and sometimes amazing, I recall the Radeon X 1900 is not supported for PS CS4 I do not know about the Bridge.
P
PShock
Dec 16, 2008
That’s incorrect, Wade. The X1900 is one of the (very) few cards Adobe officially supports for an early Mac Pro and OpenGL. As a matter of fact, according to the CS4 "suite" page below, it’s the ONLY card.

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405445#h3>

And for Photoshop specifically, the X1900 is also listed …

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405711&sliceId=2#mac>

-phil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 16, 2008
I also have a X1900 and a BlackMagic card.

Having two dissimilar cards installed seems to cause problems with OpenGL on a Mac.

Try removing one or the other and see what effect that has on OpenGL.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 16, 2008
PShock you are correct I must have been an older model Radeon card I was thinking of but clearly you are correct.

The Blackmagic Intensity and Intensity Pro is not a graphic or display car it is a dedicated Video in and Video out card for capturing HDV and also analog to HDV as well as displaying on a Video Monitor as you capture and edit.

It will not be listed under Display and Graphics in the system profile but rather in the PC slot area.

It has no effect on the Open GL mechanism.

I have it installed as I wrote along side of my Nvidia 880 and it work fine with open GL in PS 4 nothing different what so ever.

Although the poster does not state what kind of Blackmagic card?

Even so I do not see how it could possibly interfere.
E
EFXANIMATION
Dec 18, 2008
My BM card is a DeckLink HD card. I don’t have the time to pull it to see if that’s the prob. But, I can’t see any other reason open GL works in all other apps except PS CS4 and bridge. Your right about the fact it’s not a "video card" per se, just groping for some answers. Obviously, not a real solid implementation.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections