JR
Posted By
jim_r_belquist
May 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My numbering scheme for last 2 contact sheet layouts was: 1975-1; 1975-2;1975-3; etc all the way to 1975-69. My contact sheets printed 1, 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,2,20…I tried numbering with 02,03, etc., still didn’t work. What’s wrong?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DS
Dick_Smith
May 15, 2004
Jim,

When you number things you should alwasy put the "zero" in front of any number between 1 and 9. Your computer is sorting them exactly the way it is supposed to with the numbering scheme you used. Putting a "0" in front of the "1" to make it"01" will take care of the issue.

Dick
DS
Dick_Smith
May 15, 2004
I should have added that if you look at it you’ll see why it’s doing it…1 is the first number it looks at next it finds the next 1 +0 and then 1 +1 and so on.

Dick
BH
Beth_Haney
May 15, 2004
And, to add to Dick’s advice, it would be even better if you went to a leading zero, since you’ve got at least 69 pictures in this one particular set. Always let the computer sort on a zero first, and then it will get the remainder of the numbers in the correct order. And Dick is right, this is a computer "thing", not something Elements is doing independently.
DS
Dick_Smith
May 15, 2004
Thanks, Beth. Leading Zero was what I was looking for…….another synapse missing!

Dick
BH
Beth_Haney
May 15, 2004
Boy, those misfires crop up more and more often nowadays, don’t they?! And I’m speaking from personal experience. 🙂
JR
jim_r_belquist
May 15, 2004
Thank you everybody…I will lead with a zero.
DS
Dick_Smith
May 15, 2004
Beth,

What did you say?
RH
ronald_hands
May 16, 2004
I’ve found it often makes good sense, particularly for web galleries, to lead with two zeroes and then increment the numbering by five. That allows numerical room to insert other pictures or shuffle pictures around. IOW, 005, 010, 015 etc.
DS
Dick_Smith
May 16, 2004
Ron,

Nice tip.

Dick

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections