HD
Posted By
Hillie_Dyke
May 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve just received Pshop Elements 2 with my new graphics tablet. What I want to know is: How do I paint textures? I’m aware of how this works in Photoshop itself, but if I have an image and want to paint the texture of that image onto another with a brush, how do I load that pic in order to use it? I have read the Help pdfs but am having difficulty locating these options.

Also, Photoshop has Layer Styles with which you can access the Blend Modes…for my brushes, does it only have the dropdown list on the tool bar for these modes? I don’t own Photoshop itself, but am trying to simulate this tutorial in Elements: <http://www.skyetis.com/Tutorial/tut.html>

Thanks for any help. This is my second try at posting this, fishing for some answers ;)…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SS
Susan_S.
May 14, 2004
I’m not sure quite what you mean by painting textures – it’s a feature that I’m not aware is available in Elements (how do you do it in PS? – that would give me some idea of where to try to see if Elements can do it)
Elements can not create layer styles – but if you have temporary access to full PS then you can create the layer style used by the tutorial and then use it in Elements. I had a quick look at the tutorial you referenced when you first posted the question, but I got side tracked before I got around to answering (sorry!). Even if you couldn’t get a PS layer style that did this effect (there are thousands on the Adobe Exchange, one of which might do the trick) it isn’t actually that difficult to create something similar without layer styles. It’s basically just an inner glow and an outer glow and some bevel – Elements has some plain bevel styles which might be useful, but I actually did it pretty much by hand – I used the plain blue disc as a base, selected it, then drew a dark blue to light blue circular gradient to give an illusion of a blue sphere. Then below this created a new layer, set to screen mode, stroked the circle selection on the outside with quite a pale blue line, deselected then gaussian blurred to give an outer glow. I added an inner glow to just give the edge of the planet a little more definition by reselecting the disc, creating a new layer on top of the others, contracting the selection by a few pixels, then stroking with slightly blueish white, deselecting, gaussian blurring and then setting the layer blend mode to screen – Add the shadow as in the tutorial, merge down the atmosphere layers: net result
<http://www.users.on.net/sestewart/Planet.jpg>

Susan S.
HD
Hillie_Dyke
May 15, 2004
Thanks so much Susan for your prompt reply – I appreciate it.

I notice you don’t have the texture of the rock on your planet – this is mainly what I want to know. I use PhotoImpactXL and you can get out your brush, click textures, pick an image from the list and paint with the texture from that chosen image on your currently open document e.g. planet. I don’t quite know how this is done in Pshop Elements. The only way I can see it done is by selecting the planet and maybe painting with the clone brush from the e.g. rock image open in another window onto the planet image.

Thanks for your answer re Layer Styles – this helps a lot and now I won’t be driving myself nuts 😉 trying to find it.

Your question "re how do you do it in PS? – that would give me some idea of where to try to see if Elements can do it" – this is why I put the link to the planet tute in my post – it shows the Layer Styles diag box with the blend modes and textures available in Photoshop. I don’t have the program so it looks like I might stick with PIXL to do this part. And I’ll check out the exchange again.

Thanks again.
Hillie.
HD
Hillie_Dyke
May 15, 2004
Susan – just want to add that your pics of the Grampians are fantastic! I live in Queensland so it’s nice to see an Aussie around here (if you are…)…

See you,
Hillie
Australia.
SS
Susan_S.
May 15, 2004
Thanks Hillie – yes I’m an Australian, living in Adelaide (although I’m originally English)

The original tutorial didn’t paint the textures – it did the textures by creating a pattern out of a texture and filling a spherical selection with the pattern and then using the spherise filter to distort so it looks like it’s folding around the edge of the planet; it then just puts this texture sphere under the atmosphere layer – and it will show through as long as you set the atmosphere blending mode to screen (using the layer blending mode pull down menu in the layer palettes) All the steps for creating the texture work fine in Elements – the only step that doesn’t is creating the atmosphere layer.
I didn’t have a decent texture to gove a good planet effect which is why I didn’t post my final result, as what I came up with looked a bit lame – but just following the texture instructions in the tutorial works OK in Elements (although I cut a few corners – unless you are going to print high resolution images there is no need to work on documents of that size, and I couldn’t see any need to make the texture sphere document four times the size of the planet.)
IH
Ingrid_Halvorsen
May 15, 2004
You can save selections as "patterns" and then use the paint bucket or clone tool to appy the saved pattern. I think this is what you have in mind for filling the rock texture onto the plan, yes?
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 15, 2004
You can also clone from one pic to another, if that helps any.

M
SS
Susan_S.
May 15, 2004
Just to demonstrate that it can be done in Elements
<http://www.users.on.net/sestewart/Planet2.jpg>
Note that the instructions in the tutorial to set the blending mode of the texture layer to overlay only work if you shift the texture layer above the atmosphere. Otherwise this is done according to the steps in the tutorial with the exception of the creation of the atmosphere layer, which i did using the method that I outlined in post 2 of this thread.

Mac – I didn’t realise you could clone from one pic to another – that’s useful to know.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 15, 2004
Mac – I didn’t realise you could clone from one pic to another – that’s useful to know.

Best to have each pic same pixel dimensions. Also, if you make a selection in the pic you’re cloning into, you can control it for certain effects that might be handy. Aligned or not, depending on what you’re trying to do.

M
HD
Hillie_Dyke
May 19, 2004
Just wanted to thank you all for your help :)….this gives me something to work on…

Hillie
Australia

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections