Posted By
Ed_Huberty
May 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi:
Everything I send to the printer (Epson 2200) prints with a strong magenta cast. It looks fine on the monitor but when displayed in Epson’s print preview and then prints, the magenta appears. If I save the file and then open and print from Photoshop 7.0 on the same printer the image is fine.
I’ve deleted Elements 2.0 and then reinstalled…no luck. Computer is Dell with Pentium 4 and Windows XP. Printer is Epson 2200 and monitor is Viewsonic A90f.
Any ideas out there? I really prefer using Elements 2.0 to Photoshop, but saving then reopening to get a good print is a bit irritating.
Thanks much
Ed Huberty

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
ChuckDK
May 28, 2004
I’m having the same problem and from the looks of this site, many others are also. So far I have not come up with any answers that work for me – even when being EXTRA careful with color management or using NO color management. I also use a Dell with a NEC Multisync 1250 that is well calibrated.

I do not have the magenta color in the finished print or the print preview if I print the image from a different program, like PS Album or MS Publisher, or even Explorer for that matter.

Because it’s such a pain in the neck to have to go through this – I have to solve the problem, I’d not mind pursuing it via e-mail with someone who has a handle on it. By the way, I did not have this color cast (magenta) when I used Elements a couple of years ago.
EH
Ed_Huberty
May 28, 2004
Hi:
I found out that the problem was caused by a bad file.I solved the problem by doing a ctl alt shift immediately after clicking on the icon to open the program. It asks if you want to delete the file. Say yes. The program then establishes the file again for you and glory be…no more magenta.
I found the answer somewhere on the same forum
Good luck
Ed
MC
Marc_Carpenter
Aug 1, 2004
Ed, I post similar problems as yours, someone referred me to your post. Identical problem. I’ll try contrl-alt-del trick they recommended. Do you have other insight?

Marc
MC
Marc_Carpenter
Aug 1, 2004
Ed. just saw your second post. sorry. But nonetheless, any other observations?

Marc
KW
Ken_Wolin
Aug 1, 2004
That’s control-alt-shift, not control-alt-delete.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 1, 2004
Marc,

Control-alt-shift is the shortcut to deleting the prefs file … when Elements (or Photoshop) suddenly start to do strange things its usually caused by the prefs file becoming corrupt. Fortunatly is easy to correct it.

Wendy
MC
Marc_Carpenter
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks for feed back. So far, contr/alt/shift doesn’t get response. Elements just sits there. I start by clicking icon to start E, then contr/alt/shift hold for several seconds. Nothing happens. Is there trick? Is there another way?

Marc
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 2, 2004
On a Windows pc, the file name is "Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 Prefs.psp " . You can search it out and delete it when Elements is not running. Then start Elements and the Prefs file will rebuild .

🙂

Brent
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 2, 2004
Marc,

You need to be quick when you select the three keys and you need to hold all of them down until you receive a message asking if you want to delete the prefs file.

Wendy
JR
John_R._Collins
Aug 3, 2004
Hi Ed,
I got the magenta prints with my Epson 825 and Kodak Photo paper. When I switched to Epson paper, the prints were perfect with no color correction required. I wonder if there is an adverse chemical reaction between Kodak paper and Epson ink.

John
EH
Ed_Huberty
Aug 3, 2004
I have to give Epson credit for some very clever engineering. I’ve tried many of the best papers on the shelf and the Epson paper seems to always give the best result. I have found that the 2200 seems to be more tolerant of "foreign" papers than my 1280 was.
Ed
FC
Frantiska_Clarkson
Aug 3, 2004
I have the same problem – i.e. the colour of the monitor does not match the color being printed on my Epson 890. My printer prints overall everything very much darker and if I correct this by adding a lot of brightness I get reasonable prints and loose a lot of detail. I do admit that I use different makes of paper but even Epson paper does not print well. I will try ctl-alt-del to see if I get any better response.

I will be very interested to see if anybody has any more ideas.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 3, 2004
Frantiska,

Have you calibrated your monitor?

Wendy
FC
Frantiska_Clarkson
Aug 4, 2004
Wendy,
On few occasions I tried to callibrate my monitor but, helas, I was not succesfull and must admit that I did not understand really how to do it. I am afraid I am rather a novice in this matter and a bit old but I do not give up that easily. If you could direct me where I can find apropriate informations about calibrating a monitor – but in an easy version – I would be very grateful.
Thank you for replying
Frantiska
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 4, 2004
Frantiska, you have posts in another thread, so maybe someone has already given you this link. If not, read through this one; it’s for Photoshop 7.0, but that’s the engine on which Elements 2 is based, so it will still work.

If you haven’t yet looked at the Computer Darkroom site, you may want to go back to the home page and look at the various tutorials available. He’s got tons of good stuff.

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm>
FC
Frantiska_Clarkson
Aug 6, 2004
Beth,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I do not know anything about the computer darkroom and will get on it immediately. I will probably need a week to absorb all in it.

I hope that I will be able to follow as I am rather a novice, but will try my best.

Thanks again.
Frantiska

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections