Encapsulated CMYK/RGB/LAB workflow – good idea, bad idea?

T
Posted By
T._Schmidt
Oct 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I haven’t worked a lot in CMYK but do so now. I usually get files in CMYK that were converted by someone somehwhere from the RGB files (Camera profile), to make the files "look like they look in print and not completely different". I sometimes get the original files, which I prefer since I can easily correct the colors and jump to LAB for blurring, sharpening, masking, blending etc.

Today I tried the following workflow (and was surprised it worked):
1. Open the file (RGB 8 or 16Bit)
2. Dublicate the Background Layer
3. Convert the dublicate to a Smart Object (SO)
4. Double click the SO and convert it to LAB.
5. Work a bit in LAB, save and close.
6. Back in RGB do further work on it and jump back into the LAB SO for further changes.
7. Turn the dublicate layer on and off, to see the difference compared to the Background Layer.
8. Turn on/off Proof (Cmd+Y)

Now, since I’d like to know wether this workflow has any unexpected dangers, that I’m not aware off, or if it even makes sence to anyone but me. Also, can/should I stuff the whole thing into a CMYK file as a smart object (CMYK containing RGB containing LAB)? I’d like to be able to work on the final CMYK file for final adjustments (color/contrast) via Curves but I might have to change something from an earlier step.

Thanks for your opinion and advice.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

T
T._Schmidt
Oct 15, 2008
Oh and I heard you can even place a RAW file into a PSD or TIFF, what about that?
JM
Jonas_M._Rogne
Oct 15, 2008
I always work in RGB mode as working with CMYK is horrible and very limited. If the file is required to be CMYK, but you still want all your adjusment layers etc. intact (and they are in RGB ofc.) just select all your layers, make smart object, then set image mode to CMYK.

For all intents and purposes the file is now CMYK, but you can edit it in RGB by going to the smart object. No problems with this. You can also have other documents like Illustartor-files as smart objects. Very convenient.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 15, 2008
No problems with this.

now that’s funny…
T
T._Schmidt
Oct 15, 2008
What about the bit depth? For example a 16Bit LAB file in an 8bit RGB file as SO.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections