T
Posted By
tmgenesis
Oct 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is an image at W 48.667 x H 32.444 inches at 72 res the same as an image that I could convert in photoshop to 300 res and then the with "Resample Image" clicked off would be W 11.68 x H 7.78 at 300 res for printing purposes? I’m asking this questions because after exporting 200 images from Lightroom 1.4, putting them into an wedding album I realized the images were not at 300 res but the first size listed above. I’m trying not to have to rebatch and have to put them back into the album. I sent the question to NAPP and got this back"

"If you do the math you’ll see that the answer is "no." 48×72=3456 pixels; 32×72=2304 pixels
11.68×300=3504 pixels; 7.78×300=2334 pixels."

I did the math and it comes up to 5760 vs 5830. Pretty darn close. So would an image printed out with both settings print the about the same quality or am I missing something?

Thanks

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
Lundberg02
Oct 10, 2008
Someone at NAPP can’t read.

What do you mean 5760 vs 5830?
R
Ram
Oct 10, 2008
Bob,

Either you’re confused or you managed to post the most confusing post ever.

Let’s start all over again: what are the dimensions (in pixels) of the image with which you’re starting out? So many pixels wide by so many pixels high.

What is the size of the print (in inches) you want to end up with?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 10, 2008
My arithmetic works out differently:

Your original image size of 48.667" x H 32.444" at 72 ppi works out as: 3504 x 2336 Pixels.

If you change to 300 ppi (without resampling) you would get a print of 11.68" x 7.787".

Does that answer your question?
T
tmgenesis
Oct 10, 2008
At this point I am confused. I’ve designed a wedding album and all 200 images currently in the album are at the image size right below. The images will be anywhere from 3×3 to a max of 12×12 inches

Here is the image size of one of the images in the album now. Pixel Dem Width 2336 pixels
Height 3504 pixels
Doc size Width 32.444 in
Height 48.667 in
Resolution 72

When I change the resolution to 300, which is what I thought it was at when I exported out of Lightroom, the dimension would be
Pixel Dem Width 2336 pixels
Height 3504 pixels
Doc size Width 7.787 in
Height 11.68
Resolution 300

I know I can convert all images to 300 but I’m trying to figure out if it’s necessary.

Thanks Ramon

Bob
R
Ram
Oct 10, 2008
The resolution of an image file is utterly irrelevant until you go to print.

Generally, you want to send the images to the printer at the size and resolution you want the images to be printed.

If you leave the Resample box UNchecked, the pixels will remain untouched in every respect –with the exception noted below:

I hope you’re NOT dealing with JPEGs. JPEG is a lossy format, and the image deteriorates every single time you re-save the file, no exceptions.
P
PShock
Oct 10, 2008
JPEG is a lossy format, and the image deteriorates every single time you re-save the file, no exceptions.

Exception to the exception … unless you resave the file in another format like TIFF or PSD. 🙂

-phil
CB
charles badland
Oct 10, 2008
Leave the Resample box unchecked and just type in the dimensions you want the print to be. Sounds like your files are high-res enough to go up to 12" X 12" print. In general, inkjet printers are not that particular about the PPI of an image sent to them. Just let the PPI fall where it may… this has the advantage that you won’t accidentally screw up your images through resampling.

Also, I saw that you list square prints but rectangular file dimensions. You could just set the crop tool to your target print size, and leave the ppi resolution setting blank in the Crop Tool option bar.

edit:
Looking at your numbers again… if you print 12" square… that is 2336 px X 2336px. That brings the ppi in just under 200. You may want to up-sample those larger prints. Choose "bicubic smoother" method in the image size dialog. But I would print it first without resample to see how it looks.
T
tmgenesis
Oct 10, 2008
This is Bob’s wife. Thanks for all the help so far. My question is, what if I take that 72 ppi file, which is 48×32 inches and paste and resize it into a new 300 ppi page (to do a wedding album layout) is my final print quality going to be as good as if I paste and resize a 300 ppi image onto a new 300 ppi page.
B
Buko
Oct 10, 2008
they both have the same result.
CB
charles badland
Oct 10, 2008
(The following might be a little TMI for your needs.)
I believe this is correct (someone tell me if not):

If you resample using Edit>Transform or the Crop Tool, Photoshop will use the Interpolation Method checked in Preferences,
If you resample going Image>Image Size, Photoshop will resample using the Interpolation Method chosen at the bottom of the Image Size dialog.
T
tmgenesis
Oct 10, 2008
Buko, I see you have had much experience in the printing field. Just want to confirm with you my original question before sending the album off to be printed:

"Is an image at W 48.667 x H 32.444 inches at 72 res the same as an image that I could convert in photoshop to 300 res and then the with "Resample Image" clicked off would be W 11.68 x H 7.78 at 300 res for printing purposes?"

Your saying I should get the same results with both examples above? This is what I always thought to be true.

Thanks

Bob
B
Buko
Oct 10, 2008
you always want to set the resolution in the image to whatever you need to place in your layout app. If the file is set at 72ppi and you need 300ppi when you uncheck resample image you do not change the file size just how the page layout app interprets the file.

As far as your math if you unchecked resample I’m sure its right I have not bothered to check.
R
Ram
Oct 10, 2008
Exception to the exception … resave the file in another format like TIFF or PSD

Poppycock! That is NO exception, because it’s not re-saving the file but doing a Save As.
B
Buko
Oct 10, 2008
Poppycock!

Mmmmmmm…. Poppycock!
R
Ram
Oct 10, 2008
😀
BB
bruce_bohannan
Oct 10, 2008
Bob’s question is a common one. And one of the first that most of us struggled to understand. Let’s see if I can shed some light to help clarify the matter.

o The image starts out with a given number of pixels from the camera, scanner, or whatever was its source. The resolution only matters when it comes time to print the image.

72 dpi was once a common resolution for displaying on a computer monitor. Today 90 dpi is more common monitor resolution.

o Let’s assume that the image is 3504 x 2336 pixels (which I got from his size @ 72 dpi).

o In "image size", if you do _not_ have ‘resample image’ checked, all you are doing is _rescaling the image. The image resolution is whatever you enter …

For example, if you enter 360 dpi — the native printing resolution of many Epson printers — you get a print size of 9.733 x 6.489 inches

o Let’s say you want to print this image at 360 dpi in portrait on 13 x 19 inch paper with a one inch border on the sides. That would make the short dimension of the image 11 inches and the long would work out to 16.5.

To do that you need to _resample_ the image to change the size. More pixels will be made. The resolution stays at 360 dpi. So check the ‘resample image’ box.

After resampling to get the print size and resolution you want, the pixel dimension goes to 5960 x 3960 (from 3504 x 2336). Those new pixels came at a price, but that is a matter for another thread and a lot of personal bias.

Hope that helped.
B
Buko
Oct 10, 2008
Bruce its ppi not dpi. If you don’t quite understand this you can read about the difference in the FAQs
R
Ram
Oct 11, 2008
Bruce,

Here’s some useful reading that might help you understand ppi, dpi, spi and resolution. You are confused/

<http://www.scantips.com/basics01.html>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections