H
Posted By
harvcraven
Jan 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
At the eleventh hour a client has asked for her CMYK brochure cover image to be in grayscale because she doesn’t like how it looks in full colour. Instead of printing it in black only, I want to convert it to grayscale then back to CMYK to give the image some depth and richness. I have searched online for any tips on doing this but came up empty handed. Is there anything about which I should be aware before doing this, or can I trust PS to make the conversion and yield great results? Any help at this final stage of design would be helpful, it has to go to press in three days.

TIA

Harv

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
JasonSmith
Jan 5, 2007
You could just create a channel mixer adjustment layer, hit "monochrome". No need to convert to greyscale then back to CMYK.

"can I trust PS to make the conversion and yield great results"

I would be more concerned with the press conditions being able to yeild a neutral grey with a 4 color mixture.
L
LenHewitt
Jan 6, 2007
Harv,

Have you considered creating a duotone to get a little more richness?
JH
Jacob_Hutson
Jan 8, 2007
+1 on the channel mixer idea, worry about what it looks like on screen (with a calibrated screen) let ps pick the cmyk values

watch out for gain on the press with paper used – check with the printer to see if they deal with it or you have to.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections