J
Posted By
JeffN
Oct 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been working with the pen tool in CS3. I have outlined a product using the Pen tool creating a path. Now I needed to use free transform to reduce the size of the item and change it’s position on the doc. I want to use the path I created as a selection, but the path is at the original size (not the new / changed size). Is there a way to get your paths (one or more) to resize / transform to match the new size / placement of the object.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
PeterK.
Oct 8, 2008
Use the Edit-Transform function to transform the layer into position, then select the path in the paths palette and use the function Edit-Transform Again. There’s no way that I know of to transform a path and a layer at the same time so this is the best workaround.

edit-keep in mind you can also use this method just for moving your object around your document (and then the path), even if you don’t need to scale it.
J
JeffN
Oct 8, 2008
Thanks PeterK,
Yes that is what I’ve done in the past. It’s just an extra step and can be troublesome to get the path sized and positioned "exactly" as the object. I was hoping that somewhere along the line from Ps4.0 to CS3 that Adobe would have made it possible to link a path with its object and edit transform both together.
I’m still hoping some else has discovered a way to do that.

That and I’ve got 15 different paths for this image and you can’s select more than one path at a time, so I’m stuck with have to edit transform each and every path separately.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 8, 2008
There IS a way to do what you want:

First Select all of the Paths (Cmd Option Shift Select) on all of them — but they do need to be on the same Path Tile.

Then Transform Paths numerically (say 80%?) and hit "Enter".

Deselect all Paths.

Select Image and go to Edit menu/Transform Again — and the same 80% transform will be automatically applied.
J
JeffN
Oct 8, 2008
Hi Ann,
Yes, that does work, thank you!!!
I’m still hoping Adobe will incorporate a link feature to do this. I have one large path with several inside paths,all on one tile. No problem selecting those.

But I also have 10 other paths for airbrushing areas. How can I select all of them, or get them all on one tile so when I transform, I can use the paths / selections for any additional airbrush work. And then be able to separate them into individual path tiles again.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 8, 2008
I am glad that it worked for you.

It has not changed in CS4 — you still have to do the transforms in two stages.

It might be possible to write a Script but I really haven’t dabbled in Scripts enough to know how much is possible.

Can you group the airbrushing paths by copying a bunch of them onto the same Path tile?

And can you then turn the groups of airbrushing paths into an Alpha Channel — or several Alpha Channels?
P
PeterK.
Oct 9, 2008
Thanks PeterK, Yes that is what I’ve done in the past. It’s just an extra step and can be troublesome to get the path sized and positioned "exactly" as the object.

That’s why I said to use the "Edit-Transform Again" function. It makes your path size and position match "exactly."

Hi Ann, Yes, that does work, thank you!!!

Nobody reads post #1.
J
JeffN
Oct 9, 2008
Peter,Peter,Peter….

iNobody reads post #1.

That’s not true. I read your post, and responded. But….thanks for your last post, because that’s what it took for the light bulb to go on.
You see I never use "edit transform", I always just use the keyboard shortcut, cmd T, so when I read in your 1st post to use "edit transform" and select the path and use "edit transform" again, I didn’t know you meant, (or) that there was a command "edit transform again".
Now I see what you where saying 🙂
That works perfectly, but unfortunately only on one path, so my post #4 still stands. We need a way to transform and reposition all / or selected paths and link them to the object.
So again, Peter, thank you for your 1st. post!

Ann,

Can you group the airbrushing paths by copying a bunch of them onto the same Path tile?

I’ve never done that so I’m not sure how to do it. Can you elaborate?

And can you then turn the groups of airbrushing paths into an Alpha Channel — or several Alpha Channels?

Do the alpha channels resize / position / transform when you do an "edit-transform"? I could select a path, convert it into a selection, then save the selection as a alpha channel. Because you can only select one path tile at a time, it it possible to add multiply paths / selections into one alpha channel?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 9, 2008
If you select and copy each path you can then paste it into a different Path Tile. You can collect all of your existing paths into the same tile if you do that.

Now you can Select ALL of the Paths at the same time;
or you can Cmd Click on the tile to turn the whole lot into Selections from which to make an Alpha Channel.

If you then re-size the whole image (using Image Size not Transform), the Alpha Channels will Scale with the rest of the image.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Oct 12, 2008
Transform Again is one way. Control shift T on all the paths you want to change, pretty quick.

Another way to do this it to TEMPORARILY attach all the paths as vector masks to the pixel layer that you want to change – then any transformations you do will affect both pixel and vector content at the same time – if you have more than one path to transform you can attach these individually as vector masks on blank layers. Then Linking them (using the link icon) – you can transform the whole lot with one transform operation.

The advantage with this method is that it allows you to use warp transform as well – Transform again does not allow this

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections