T
Posted By
Tyegrr
Oct 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Considering myself an "advanced newbie" (or maybe I’m just a regular newbie considering how much there is to learn) in Photoshop I might have missed something obvious here, but hoping someone will point me in the right direction….
This is in Photoshop CS3 in MacOS 10.4.11 on a Powerbook G4 by the way.

I came across a guide on how create black/white photos with a dash of color in selected areas: < http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/mono-with-a-dash- of-colour-photoshop-cs2-tutorial/>

So I took a picture of a tree, wanting to make the background black/white while the tree and a section of the grass should be colored. I wanted to try to make the edits non-destructive, so I did this with new layers, but I’m not sure I did it right. Here’s a screenshot of my layers: <http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=layerspg1.png>

"Background" is the actual photo (in color)
"Hue/saturation 1" is an adjustment layer which desatured the colors "Hist.brush (tree)" is the layer where I painted back the tree’s colors "Hist-brush (grass)" is likewise the layer where I painted back the grass’ colors

Having selected the tree or grass layer I’ve used the "History brush" tool to paint back the colors, and the "Eraser" tool to remove anything I’ve painted too much back. This has worked fine, and I’ve been working at it for many hours yesterday, saving (as PSD) as I went along. But today nothing happens when I paint an area with the history brush!!!
I really don’t know what the history brush does, other than it worked getting back the colors -is the problem that I saved the file, quit Photoshop, then opened it up again today, given that the brush has something to do with history?
Please don’t tell me I have to start from scratch, painting back all those details once again 🙁

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 8, 2008
The History Brush States and Snapshots are only available while a file remains open.

Once you close the file, your States and Snapshots will disappear — so work on Layers and save the file with unflattened layers.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections