D
Posted By
Don
Jan 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am an amateur photographer who has taken courses in Photoshop and enjoys reading books and magazines on Photoshop techniques. But in the end, this is something I manage to put to practice only when time allows. Through some deal or another I received a trial subscription to Photoshop User and while it is aimed at pro photographers, I enjoy it. But it is expensive, and I’m wondering if I want to sign on for annual subscriptions at $99 a year. Then I saw the announcement for the Photoshop Worl convention sponsored by NAPP in Boston in April. It seems like a feast for photographers, but again it is expensive for someone doing this as an occasional hobby (about $379 with an educator’s discount).

I would be interested in your views as to whether this membership and conference is worth the expense.
Many thanks,
–Don

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

S
Scubabix
Jan 4, 2007
I am also an amateur photographer, though with hopes of making my hobby pay for the toys I want. I joined NAPP a few months ago and it’s the best $99 I’ve ever spent. The discounts I’ve used through them have already recovered the cost and the training and knowledge available if amazing. If you’ve seen the magazine, you already know the level a quality it has. I’m not going to make PS World, but I still think the membership is well worth the cost.
Rob
AB
Arnor Baldvinsson
Jan 4, 2007
Hi Rob,

I am also an amateur photographer, though with hopes of making my hobby pay for the toys I want. I joined NAPP a few months ago and it’s the best $99 I’ve ever spent. The discounts I’ve used through them have already recovered the cost and the training and knowledge available if amazing. If

I’m in exactly the same situation and had found the NAPP and it looked very interesting but I worried if it was worth it. Your post indicates that it is so that worry is put to rest now:)

Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas
T
Talker
Jan 5, 2007
On 3 Jan 2007 17:09:16 -0800, "Don" wrote:

I am an amateur photographer who has taken courses in Photoshop and enjoys reading books and magazines on Photoshop techniques. But in the end, this is something I manage to put to practice only when time allows. Through some deal or another I received a trial subscription to Photoshop User and while it is aimed at pro photographers, I enjoy it. But it is expensive, and I’m wondering if I want to sign on for annual subscriptions at $99 a year. Then I saw the announcement for the Photoshop Worl convention sponsored by NAPP in Boston in April. It seems like a feast for photographers, but again it is expensive for someone doing this as an occasional hobby (about $379 with an educator’s discount).

I would be interested in your views as to whether this membership and conference is worth the expense.
Many thanks,
–Don

I also have received these offers in the mail, and wasn’t sure about attending. My main concern (other than the cost) is that they teach the courses in a very short time frame. At my age, I can only absorb a little at a time. I prefer they teach me for an hour, then let me play with it for a day. Once I understand that process, teach me for another hour. Trying to learn a lot in a short amount of time, well, I’d forget a lot of it. That’s what’s kept me from going to one of those.

Talker
S
Scubabix
Jan 5, 2007
"Talker" wrote in message
On 3 Jan 2007 17:09:16 -0800, "Don" wrote:

Many thanks,
–Don

I also have received these offers in the mail, and wasn’t sure about attending. My main concern (other than the cost) is that they teach the courses in a very short time frame. At my age, I can only absorb a little at a time. I prefer they teach me for an hour, then let me play with it for a day. Once I understand that process, teach me for another hour. Trying to learn a lot in a short amount of time, well, I’d forget a lot of it. That’s what’s kept me from going to one of those.

Talker
The seminar I attended was the Creativity Tour. It was extremely fast paced and the only real benefit I got out of it was the amazement of what PS is capable of. I didn’t realize that there was a separate seminar for photographers and that may have been more beneficial to me. If you want to feel totally clueless about PS, check out http://www.bertmonroy.com/ This is the guy that presented the Creativity seminar. He, by the way, is using CS4! Yes, I said CS FOUR. His level of knowledge was so far beyond anyone in the audience, but I never felt "talked down to." This is just an example of the people you have access too with NAPP. The tutorials, online training, discounts, and the magazine, are, in my mind, worth far more than the $99 a year. If you check out Bert Monroy’s site, do yourself a favor and check out the link that says "Take a closer look at Damen my latest painting" you will be amazed.
Rob
T
Talker
Jan 5, 2007
On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 19:39:41 -0500, "Scubabix" wrote:
Talker
The seminar I attended was the Creativity Tour. It was extremely fast paced and the only real benefit I got out of it was the amazement of what PS is capable of. I didn’t realize that there was a separate seminar for photographers and that may have been more beneficial to me. If you want to feel totally clueless about PS, check out http://www.bertmonroy.com/ This is the guy that presented the Creativity seminar. He, by the way, is using CS4! Yes, I said CS FOUR. His level of knowledge was so far beyond anyone in the audience, but I never felt "talked down to." This is just an example of the people you have access too with NAPP. The tutorials, online training, discounts, and the magazine, are, in my mind, worth far more than the $99 a year. If you check out Bert Monroy’s site, do yourself a favor and check out the link that says "Take a closer look at Damen my latest painting" you will be amazed.
Rob

Yes, I have visited the Bert Monroy website before and seen that panorama. It’s amazing what he has done.
I think I might subscribe to the NAPP, since I can never get enough of PhotoShop. I do get the Eli Journals, "Inside PhotoShop" and "PhotoShop Fundamentals", and while they are very informative, I think they are a bit expensive.
Anyway, thanks for the input Scubabix…

Talker

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections