FG
Posted By
Franz_Grus
Jan 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi, i need to resize 4:3 images to 16:9 screens. I would like to resize the image with as little distortion as possible in the center of the image and to stretch a little bit more the periphery of the images. It would be a little bit as the monitors do if you choose the automatic or zoom options. In photoshop, I just found the normal resize option which distorts dramatically the center. Is there any option or plug-in available to resize 4:3 images to e.g. 16:9 without completely distorting the center?? Thanks!!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jan 4, 2007
Create your 4:3 image and save. Here is an example:
< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1djlxVnJadan8fgLjb DbdmszjdY2us> Now create a blank document that is 16:9 aspect ratio. File > Place your 4:3 image. If necessary, scale it so it fits the vertical bounds of the new file (mine was the same height, so no scaling was necessary). Now click on the symbol in the Place Options Bar that changes from free transform mode to Warp mode. Stretch each corner out to the corner of the canvas. Move the horizontal adjustment handles and inner warp intersections a bit toward the center to keep the center of the image relatively unwarped. Commit the changes (you can always go back to change them. Here is my result:
< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1YXXkGbyt4uoYRFLNJ D8NWgeD9xGA>

If you save this as a PSD you can use it as a template and just replace the contents of the smart object.
FG
Franz_Grus
Jan 4, 2007
hi, great idea to use warping. however, i have to apply this routine to hundreds of images. I tried to use this approach in an action, but if the action reaches the line where the warping is done, an error occurs. Therefore, I conclude that i cannot use such a complex warping between different images. any idea how to make this easy for hundreds of images!? thanks again!
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jan 5, 2007
You only have to warp once with the Smart Object. Just create an action to replace the contents of the Smart Object.

This assumes you are using CS2 or the CS3 beta. If you use an earlier version, you don’t have Smart Objects. Time to upgrade!

If you are using CS or an earlier version, you will need to warp each image, and I don’t think you can record warping just as you can’t record other actions involving mousing. There may be a scripting solution, perhaps.
FG
Franz_Grus
Jan 5, 2007
hi, yes both cs2 and cs3 beta. but here is my problem: how to replace the content of a smartobject in an action called as a batch job from brigde???? thanks!
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jan 5, 2007
I haven’t tried it, but I would expect that you could record an action changing the content of the smart object, then run the action with the menu turned on — you would have to pick the file to use as the insert, and then the action would complete the job.

If you wanted to do a whole directory-full of files, I can see how this might be less than ideal. I suspect a script might be a better idea. You might try the scripting forum for some help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections